Page 1269 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 26976911691219125912681269
Results 44,381 to 44,403 of 44403

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Pull out every one !!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Sorry to hear about the therapy consequences Mr S! But, well, it's only a year and I believe it's nice where you are. How much radiation therapy will you have?

Rick

Another 7 sessions with chemo as well. No ill effects so far except tiredness.

I mainly peed off about the non driving meaning it will be a lot longer than anticipated til JIM is launched.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    No ill effects so far except tiredness.
    Glad to hear! Let's hope "tired" is the worst of it. Enjoy seeing your lovely nurse and be glad when you're rid of her

Another 7 sessions with chemo as well. No ill effects so far except tiredness.

I mainly peed off about the non driving meaning it will be a lot longer than anticipated til JIM is launched.
    Surely someone will do the driving for you. Hell I tell you what, you finish her off and I'll come up and drive her to the ramp. It'll be a hoot.

Yes Phil, I have friends I can ride to town with and boaty friends who will help me launch JIM, but it will still slow everything down.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Glad to hear! Let's hope "tired" is the worst of it. Enjoy seeing your lovely nurse and be glad when you're rid of her
    Agreed, I was warned that the tumors are right beside the intersection of my optic nerves .....so the main danger is to my vision.
    Grateful Dead

Me having fun.

PA170236.jpg
    Grateful Dead

Yes Phil, I have friends I can ride to town with and boaty friends who will help me launch JIM, but it will still slow everything down.
    Of course, it's not just the launching, it's getting materials. Didn't really think of that. Yes, not driving will suck, a lot.

I'm still in the glacial process of registering the JIM trailer.
    Grateful Dead

Not recent news but I hadn't seen it before.
    https://www.smh.com.au/national/diso...04-h0de1h.html

Grateful Dead

The outboard ran properly today. It even runs at idle! I cleared out the fuel bowl but thankfully didn't have to pull anything else apart. I've filtered all the fuel I have, and I'll get a decent inline filter for it this week.

Since the above requires a "touch wood" I got the steering sweep out and had another look. I tried heat and scraper, as Tom suggested. It works and is very easy, but slow. I also found it far too easy to gouge the timber underneath. So I reverted to The Machine (big ROS and 40#) and got the whole lot done. It had a little over six feet of kevlar sleeve and it took an hour and a half to get it all down to timber.

Underneath... Well, I see why there was a six foot long sleeve. The whole middle section of the oar has been reconstructed from various smaller pieces in a lamination. It's a bit messy, with pieces seemingly curved in from two sides, and the glue lines are very visible.

It's nice and straight, and probably stronger than a single piece of timber, but I doubt I'll be varnishing it.

It must have broken twice, because the break I could see was crookedly repaired, in a fairly short length near one end of the sleeve, with a bit of splintering. The middle looks like it's been rebuilt from two remote pieces after a shark bit the whole middle out of it or something.

I didn't get a photo because a big storm arrived 45 seconds after I finished.

Now that was enthusiastic ! Flash, boom, flash . Lots of lightening and 29mm of rain.
    Grateful Dead

More about Kris Larsen's 'toilet-less' boat here http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/...rislarsen.html

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    More about Kris Larsen's 'toilet-less' boat here http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/...rislarsen.html
    My life is so boring

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    The outboard ran properly today. It even runs at idle! I cleared out the fuel bowl but thankfully didn't have to pull anything else apart. I've filtered all the fuel I have, and I'll get a decent inline filter for it this week.

Since the above requires a "touch wood" I got the steering sweep out and had another look. I tried heat and scraper, as Tom suggested. It works and is very easy, but slow. I also found it far too easy to gouge the timber underneath. So I reverted to The Machine (big ROS and 40#) and got the whole lot done. It had a little over six feet of kevlar sleeve and it took an hour and a half to get it all down to timber.

Underneath... Well, I see why there was a six foot long sleeve. The whole middle section of the oar has been reconstructed from various smaller pieces in a lamination. It's a bit messy, with pieces seemingly curved in from two sides, and the glue lines are very visible.

It's nice and straight, and probably stronger than a single piece of timber, but I doubt I'll be varnishing it.

It must have broken twice, because the break I could see was crookedly repaired, in a fairly short length near one end of the sleeve, with a bit of splintering. The middle looks like it's been rebuilt from two remote pieces after a shark bit the whole middle out of it or something.

I didn't get a photo because a big storm arrived 45 seconds after I finished.

Probably better to use fresh fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Probably better to use fresh fuel.
    The fuel's fresh. I don't keep the tank very full. It's just been getting dirty.

Its interesting on the two different authors writing about him. On the one hand you have the bureaucracy of the Sydney morning herald painting him as a disoriented whack job about to die at any moment for having no toilet, then you have the courageous penmanship of James Bawldwin who saw the man behind the veil.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Its interesting on the two different authors writing about him. On the one hand you have the bureaucracy of the Sydney morning herald painting him as a disoriented whack job about to die at any moment for having no toilet, then you have the courageous penmanship of James Bawldwin who saw the man behind the veil.
    Agreed. Being a bilge keeler I imagine the windward ability would be pretty poor and if his sail is flat cut, well that wouldn't help either.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Now that was enthusiastic ! Flash, boom, flash . Lots of lightening and 29mm of rain.
    Hello Peter,

We had some excitement on Wednesday (21/10) - 74 mm in 90 minutes (probably less, in fact, that was just the BoM's outermost time limits, and 30 minute reporting intervals) and quite a bit of electrical activity to go with it. Well, when I say 'we', I mean down in Penrith (I was at a rehearsal). Home is just up the hill in Blaxland, which the Boss says got less than that (but without recourse to a rain gauge that might be hard to prove one way or t'other). The local RFS station just up the road at Mt Riverview has its own weather station running 24/7, I'll have to ask them.

I trust that the radiation and chemo will go well - pity that you have to endure it, though.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    Last edited by Alex1N; 10-21-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    You can never have too many clamps.

Sorry about the slightly out-of-sequence reply to Mr Sibley - I've only just been reminded of this thread by a sudden flood of emails in my inbox. I've been away for a couple years at least, doing other stuff. So I'm back, sort-of. A bit. Mostly lurking.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex1N; 10-21-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    You can never have too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Although arguably Baldwin has at least as much bias represented in his article. For example, it's all very well to lionise one guy because he enters ports without papers, but if those "nasty" customs officials didn't exist then there would be plenty of murkier people bringing in plenty of worse stuff.

It's a bit like going without a head. Sure, if one person does it, it may be OK. But when everyone else follows suit, you end up with people in popular anchorages spending their holidays diving happily off their boat and into a nest of turds. There was one guy in a bay we used to anchor in that always took the bucket and chucket route, and it wasn't much fun when you stepped on what was left behind on the outgoing tide.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    The fuel's fresh. I don't keep the tank very full. It's just been getting dirty.
    Steel tank? I assume it is, as there shouldn't be anything in a plastic one that would make fuel dirty. After dealing with rust and pin holes on a variety of steel tanks over the years, my advice would be to ditch it at the earliest opportunity - if that's what it is.
    Also, kept full, there is less chance of condensation and surface rust.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!