Thread: Jay's Place

Default Jay's Place

Over the years I have posted a few pictures of my home in California where our H28 "Bright Star" lives.
    The house is one of the oldest on Balboa Island it being built in 1910 from the basic tool shed that was used during the construction of the first bridge to the Island. One inch net board and batten sides were used and we have a doorway in the house that shows an example of that. Over the years, the basic house was added on to which now makes it 800square feet, most of which is shop and a drafting area for design work. It is more like living in a boat than in a house! Welcome to the Toyon Boat Club!
    Jay

Default Re: Jay's Place

This front porch is set back much more than other porches on the Island which affords much more privacy for sitting and watching people on the board walk stroll by. It is now a stricking contrast against all of the modern structures that are now replacing the original homes and all look like they came out of the same box! This porch is cool in the heat of summer because it is shaded on both sides by two of those modern structures and has a raised concrete porch. Note the enormous
    stag horn fern on the fence to the right. It was tiny when we first hung it. Now it weighs in at more than a thousand pounds! The whales tail door knocker came from Marble Head.
    A Herreshoff kedge anchor keeps the house from going adrift in heavy winter storms. It came from one of the Terminal Island Ferry Boats and takes two to lift it and three to carry it! The ivy ball is what is called a Manoa In Hawaii. Instead of
    a Kanakapila we have Saturday morning Manoas which are breakfasts in the yard under the shade of the Ivy ball followed by guitar and ukulele jam sessions. Some times Myers of the Myers Manx Dune Buggy and or Tom Morey of the Morey Boogie board will sit in with us Tom plays drums and Bruce plays good Tahitian guitar. Bring your Uke and sit in sometime!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-03-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Nice Jay! I love to see pics of your place and the fact that it's become a real nexus for historic retreats.

That's awesome, Jay. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Jay, what does, Toyon, mean?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Well Keven I am glad you asked as there is a bit of a tale attached to the name! Toyon Bay is a cove on Catalina Island that had a private club there during prohibition as I am told. The anchorage is very nice and the old club house was still there when I was in my early twenties. There is a grove of eucaliptus trees that sorround the club making it a pleasant place to anchor and look shoreward. The club had a small launch with a pilot house that would pick up people that wished to go ashore for things that could not be obtained on the mainland during that time. The finally club closed, the launch sank and I decided to dive her to see what was there. I salvaged her binnacle and one intact sign from the wheelhouse roof that now is on the roof of our beach house. So, the Toyon Boat Club is still alive and well for barbecues, cocktail hour and other festive occasions. I just thought the sign would look nice on the house so there it lives and now needs a bit of repaint. Just to discourage lookie loos from wandering out on our dock I painted this sign. Remember that a happy life makes for a happy wife! My Anne is a sailor through and through.
    Jay

For those of you who do not know Anne, she ran the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival for five years. She can hand, reef and steer as well as cook a great meal for many.
    Jay

Since I have posted photos of the tiny shop in another posting, there is no reason to repeat it again. The house and shop warmed in the winter by a fireplace and wood stove. Because it does not get too cold in California during the winter it is enough. We are doing a bit of re-modeling to the kitchen design as Anne is in need of many of the more modern appliances like an electric can opener for the dog food! My drafting room and the living room are the result of a lifetime of collecting things nautical. Captain Gorton Assa Harris is a relative from the Harris side of the family. He owned the last four masted schooner on the West Coast and she had a hand in writing history of California commercial sail. The boat was the "Lottie Bennett" And the family has Captain Harrise's Log book that is filled with trips to the Orient and up to Alaska as well as down to South America in the last years of the Captain's life. He also was the skipper of the "USS Nipsic" a gun boat for the US Navy during the Civil War. Capt. Harris carried James Whistler of Whistler's Mothers Fame, aboard the "Nipsic" to chart the West Coast of the U.S. His etching based charts were carried by the US Printing Office until the plates were literally worn out.
    His elevation drawings of the Channel Islands and Catalina Harbor are still some of the best that were ever done. It was said that Whistler would sit in a long boat and draw with a graver directly on the actual copper plates. Often he would add a fisherman in the border or a flock of sea gulls. Sadly James Whistler was fired for being too arty in his chart drawing although now they are just plain amazing. A collection of these charts and photos of Capt. Harris and Nipsic's crew adorn the walls. The settee is from the Abbaco Schooner "Double Eagle". When I was with the boat she was owned by Bob Wian who invented the Big Boy Hamburger. Bob wanted a state room in place of the setee. So I pulled it out, built the compartment and l put the settee in our living room. Photos of Capt. Harris and the deck of "Nipsec" can be seen on the walls as well has some of Whistler's Charts.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-05-2020 at 12:30 PM.

WOW! Quite a collection Jay! You've lived a charmed life

Thanks Hugh. The trick is in making the difficult look easy. I will say that L. Francis Herreshoff was the king of collecting, I am just an amateur.
    Jay

Wonderful to see photos of the cottage Jay and I really enjoy reading these snippets of history. Please keep them coming.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

More please if you can and wish to.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Well, here is the fire place that does not smoke or bother the neighbors that have forced heat and air conditioning. The models are a few that I have carved. The biggest is the original model for the Common Sense sloops that Matt Walsh carved.
    Known as the Sorcerer of Hurricane Gulch Matt took the Geary R Boat "Pirate" to Larchmont for the R Boat Nationals in 1927 and retured to California with the trophy after beating the eintire fleet which included the radical Herreshoff R Boat "Live Yankee"! He is famous for the quote, "Starboard, Give me sea room or I will ram you!"

I spend many a winter night studying yacht designs of the past for their historical significance and relationship to our modern designs of today. My drafting table is in the opposite end of the room.
    Jay aka Bird and,
    The Wandering Tenor

Nice space Jay. Looks very relaxing.

That double block came from the rigging of an old coasting schooner sadly I don't remember the name. The tray on the wall is made of trap door snail shell and I found it in a junk pile near the San Pedro Boat Works when I was a kid during WW2. My folks kept our old Lester Stone Sloop "Pronto" at Hanchet's there and my playground was the San Pedro Boat Works where the workmen would let me sweep and carry out scrape wood that i used to make models from at age five. That framed piece on the lower right is a sampler that was sewn by my great great grandmother when she was in grammar school during the Revolutionary War.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-08-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Here is the view from the porch. That original Kamado Oven has had two new tops and one new bottom in the last forty years! This oven was a second hand gift from a friend who was not into loading the charcoal it runs on. When it is loaded right one can slow cook meat for ten hours with only a small fuel addition from time to time. We burn misquite charcoal that comes from Mexico. It adds a good flavor to the meat and leaves only a little ash.
    The lower vent door was broken twenty years ago and no new parts are availalable so there is a broken brick in its place. This oven is great for cooking spar ribs! The flag pole is made of the upper section of the mast from "Red Witch". It is a round hollow mast. There are less than a dozen wooden boats in the bay now. There used to be over two thousand!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 10-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.

I will have to show these photos to my wife - she thinks I have too much boaty crap, but I am just a piker compared to Jay's collection.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Thanks for continuing the tour, Jay. Very relaxing and I second mmd's motion.

I will show some more when I can find my camera.
    Jay

Love the decor ,reminds me of Hugh Angleman favorite room in his house on the Cali coast .... Thanks for the picture Stephen /Sea Quest

Hugh Angleman was a good friend of mine along with his partner Charlie Daveys. I worked with them on their Sea Witch and Bounty Ketches. But I was never in Hugh's house what did that room look like?
    Jay

Excellent Jay. it is a lovely place...

Jay, would you have any recollection or know anyone who worked with bringing in Angelman's Sea Spirit ketches in the late 60's? I have one called King Cyrus I imported from Canada and now in Port Townsend and another we're shipping to Port Townsend from Emeryville, CA called the Phillip Nolan. My friend, Michael Effler in Washington who is coordinating the work also owns a Sea Spirit called Sea Dream. Perhaps you know him.

Jay,
    What wonderful piece of history!
    If my memory serves me correctly the siding on your cottage is shou sugi ban finished.
    Is there a historic registry there on Balboa Island and are there many buildings left from from the early 20th century?