Page 1068 of 1115 FirstFirst ... 68568968101810581067106810691078 ... LastLast
Results 37,346 to 37,380 of 38993

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    This site can’t be reached

www.halfawoodenboat.com.au’s server DNS address could not be found.

wind up, Peter.

Have a good safe trip Bruce.
    Last edited by andrewpatrol; 05-19-2017 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    That’s terrific Bruce. Does Ken think he’ll be able to do any of the trip with you??

And do you have a plan yet on where you’ll park her to get her ready?

PS: did you get your phone all sorted?
    Ken's great southerly adventure: Ken has a long standing plan to go North with friends, not that long after the planned departure date. He may be able to join the trip when he comes back, if I haven't gone too far south.

Prep berth: No, I don't know the lie of the land well enough to do that from here. Would welcome all suggestions/assistance. We discussed options previously but I lost the guts of it with the phone.

Phone: Yes, sort of. I have a new temporary phone while the Samsung is fixed, if it can be. I'll know tomorrow. If it can't be fixed the temp one becomes the permanent one. I've already loaded Navionics and a sample set of maps on it and will try to stress test it tomorrow. I may have a Samsung tablet coming my way as well.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

BTW Bruce, Sanctuary Cove Boat show is on next week - 25 to 28 May so if you’re planning on buying EPIRB, Life preserver, wet weather gear or anything, it may be worth waiting to see what show specials you may be able to grab.
    Defs EPIRB, flares
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It's all happening. Money has changed hands. I officially take ownership of Arawana 1st of June, and begin a winter's passage towards the icy south.

The itinerary from here is, subject to a crushing inrush of reality:
    20, 21, 22 May - 3 days of panic in Adelaide;
    22 May 4:50pm Depart Adelaide for Brisbane, arriving 7:40. Then local train to Robina station and meet Ken and Narelle.
    23 May - 31 May divide stuff into come on boat vs ship, and ship the to-be-shipped off the ship to the shore, oh you know what I mean.
    23 May - 31 May (in parallel) attend to necessary boat stuff.
    23 May - 31 May (in parallel) provision Arawana for an Odessian voyarge.
    1 June - with best wooly socks and hat on, make a charge through the Southport Bar and turn right.
    1 June - UFN by keeping the big island on the right, navigate confidently and in blissful ignorance until running almost headlong into Kangaroo Island, SA, thence picking up a Sheila and sailing the love boat home to Adelaide.

Sounds great, doesn't it? If anyone wants a meet, greet, eat and coffee on board the boat, wave your hands up high now and I'll see how I go getting to your place. It will help if you are near the coast, of course. Also, I am offering a berth or two to any forumites and/or friends if you'd like to experience cool weather passage making on a sturdy Cheoy Lee Taipan. Any length of passage, within reason, is yours for the asking. Rick, I already intend to sneak up into LTP and make myself known to you and Miss T.
    And you'll be very welcome! You'll be able to put the boat on one of the wharves at LTP in June - no problem. This is very exciting!

As you kit out the boat, keep us informed re what you need, in case of spare spares!

I'm really pleased you chose the Cheoy Lee - a character boat and a really good boat!

Rick

Prep berth: No, I don't know the lie of the land well enough to do that from here. Would welcome all suggestions/assistance. We discussed options previously but I lost the guts of it with the phone.
    I reckon Boat Works http://www.theboatworks.com.au/boat-repair/ will give you best access to any services and supplies that you may need but there’s not much for restaurants and food in quick walking distance after hours. The cafe there is quite good and is open 7am until 9pm Thursday and Friday but to 4pm Sat to Wed. It’d be a great spot for an EBS actually.

I come down the hill every day for a coffee so can help you out getting up to any other shops, Woollies, Bunnings etc and picking up your gear from Ken’s if need be.

Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Bruce I think I saw a tillerpilot thingy amongst all the stuff in the pics of that boat. I have one the same. You should take mine as a spare. And you are welcome to take my epirb again. I also have an out of service life raft, which did the job perfectly from Hobart to Adelaide. Not sure how you'd get that to Southport, or where you'd keep it on the boat, but it's yours if you want it. And an inflatable dinghy, same deal. And paper charts from there to here, out of date but the land is all still in much the same spot. Just make sure to bring them all back.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 05-19-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Bruce I think I saw a tillerpilot thingy amongst all the stuff in the pics of that boat. I have one the same. You should take mine as a spare. And you are welcome to take my epirb again. I also have an out of service life raft, which did the job perfectly from Hobart to Adelaide. Not sure how you'd get that to Southport, or where you'd keep it on the boat, but it's yours if you want it. And an inflatable dinghy, same deal. And paper charts from there to here, out of date but the land is all still in much the same spot. Just make sure to bring them all back.
    Thanks, yes to most of that. I'll call you. Are you visiting Balia this weekend?

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

Thanks, yes to most of that. I'll call you. Are you visiting Balia this weekend?

No but I can, Sunday late arvo is best.

No but I can, Sunday late arvo is best.
    Actually, really thinking about it, I think I have all of that covered already. I'm going to buy an epirb, there isn't realistically room for a life raft, everything else is already there, and the boat is too small and too full already to add double redundancy.

Thanks a heap, but I think I have it all covered.

Paperback E-book

You should take the tillerpilot, just in case.

The owner of our old Twister is a professional boatbuilder and has the Twister in his main shed. He now needs the space for his business, which is expanding. He's looking to offload the Twister and all its bits and pieces. Free. He's repaired or replaced all frames, replaced the sternpost and transom and replaced a fair bit of planking. He'll include a really good steel cradle, remaining planking and other stuff in the deal. The boat can be transported with a tilt tray so no special transport or crane required. It's bone dry, having been kept under cover, mostly inside, for the last 5 years or so. It should be sheathed. Craig is willing to advise any prospective restorer on the process. It's a great deal for anyone wishing to gain a really great boat for a reasonable outlay and a fair bit of time. There would be very few better 28' classics than a Twister.

Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested and I'll forward Craig's details.

Rick

Bruce, we'll be away on our canoeing-caravan trip but bon voyage and sorry to miss the EBS!
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Thanks for all the good wishes

Please help with the pack-in-bag list:

Paperback E-book

Mawsons beanie of course.

Mawsons beanie of course.
    Check

Paperback E-book

Head torch(es) and spare batteries for all torches.
    Camera
    A few good books
    A portable radio and list of local ABC frequencies
    A navigation lights list/manual (you could compile this yourself from Navionics - it's handy to have a paper list)
    Phone numbers on paper
    Binoculars
    The uke

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Head torch(es) and spare batteries for all torches.
    Camera
    A few good books
    A portable radio and list of local ABC frequencies
    A navigation lights list/manual (you could compile this yourself from Navionics - it's handy to have a paper list)
    Phone numbers on paper
    Binoculars
    The uke

Rick
    Check
    Check
    Buy in Briz
    Check
    will compile
    Check
    Check
    no room very sad face
    Paperback E-book

Best wishes for the trip Bruce. Make sure there is a plan B, and maybe a C, every time you set sail. Bon voyage!
    the invisible man........

+100, have an excellent time and may the winds and Lady Luck be with you Bruce.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Starting to get my head into the trip now. I don't know yet what all the stuff that comes with the boat includes, so I've grabbed the offcuts of line of various sizes and a couple of small blocks, and I'll grab some shock cord of various thicknesses so I'll be able to play with jib sheet to tiller self steering along the way.

I'm going to catch up with Larks up at Coomera, hopefully while I'm in Boat Works if I can get a spot there. First stop heading South is likely to be at Yamba/Iluka. Who else can I catch up with up there? I won't have a car.

Paperback E-book

Maybe an EBS around Monday 29th at the Boat Works cafe? Give you a chance to catch up with anyone who’s able to get there without you having to travel and give everyone a chance to see the boat.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Count me in for that EBS, and Monday 29th is a good choice for me.

I'll be up at Robina for an MRI on Monday 29th but should be finished with that by late morning ..... so an EBS is possible .
    Grateful Dead

Congrats Bruce, it's been a saga and another is beginning.
    I'll be at the EBS in spirit……………...

Picked up our new hound from out past Toowoomba today, after a furious week of fencing and dog proofing but well worth the effort. She is a beautifully natured and very well behaved Ridgeback and I can’t quite believe just how lucky we have been in finding her. We got her home after a 2 1/2 drive out to Toowoomba and then back again and she seems to be settling in nicely, she’s incredibly quick to learn.

Maybe not quite a boat dog just yet, but she’s enjoying the acreage after the enclosed yard that she’s been in.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'll be up at Robina for an MRI on Monday 29th but should be finished with that by late morning ..... so an EBS is possible .
    It’d be terrific to see you up here Peter, and I look forward to meeting Matt.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Picked up our new hound from out past Toowoomba today, after a furious week of fencing and dog proofing but well worth the effort. She is a beautifully natured and very well behaved Ridgeback and I can’t quite believe just how lucky we have been in finding her. We got her home after a 2 1/2 drive out to Toowoomba and then back again and she seems to be settling in nicely, she’s incredibly quick to learn.

Maybe not quite a boat dog just yet, but she’s enjoying the acreage after the enclosed yard that she’s been in.
    Congrats! I hope I get to meet her.

Paperback E-book

Excellent

It’d be terrific to see you up here Peter, and I look forward to meeting Matt.
    We'll need a time, any suggestions ?
    Grateful Dead

We'll need a time, any suggestions ?
    Late lunch? 1pm? What do you reckon Bruce? Are you up for it or would it?
    Last edited by Larks; 05-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I could get there earlier than 1pm .
    Grateful Dead

New boat, new dog, Peter's health looking positive, JB scooting along towards Tonga - the planets are aligned! Great!

Rick

Maybe an EBS around Monday 29th at the Boat Works cafe? Give you a chance to catch up with anyone who’s able to get there without you having to travel and give everyone a chance to see the boat.
    Monday sounds good , I"ll let Simon know also.

The boat will be open all hours
    Paperback E-book

Late lunch? 1pm? What do you reckon Bruce? Are you up for it or would it?
    I am a free agent with my time. I am open to any time suggestions that suit, and multiple time suggestions if a single time doesn't suit everyone. Is Dunc around? I haven't seen anything from him in a while.
    Paperback E-book