Page 1088 of 1089 FirstFirst ... 8858898810381078108710881089 LastLast
Results 38,046 to 38,080 of 38101

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    OK, so then I’m still trying to work out what the interesting thought is/was...???
    Okay, some months back a bloke broke up with his wife...got sick of being knocked around. So he figured he'd buy a boat and live on it. He found a nice little 28 footer for around $12,000 and attempted to sail it from Southport down to Tweed Heads, well all his sails blew out and the exhaust on the inboard cracked itself and he had to call for help. Meanwhile the wife missed the income and talked him into going back where it is back to him being knocked about. He has to get rid of the boat and it just might be a give away...I was asked if I was interested if it was, I said yes.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You were lucky. One of my sons cars was pretty well wrecked by water in the petrol from a local place. But I don't really understand how they could have charged you the unleaded price of diesel was dispensed. Unless it was the wrong pump number.
    Sam pump number - one pump has diesel and three flavours of petrol in it.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Okay, some months back a bloke broke up with his wife...got sick of being knocked around. So he figured he'd buy a boat and live on it. He found a nice little 28 footer for around $12,000 and attempted to sail it from Southport down to Tweed Heads, well all his sails blew out and the exhaust on the inboard cracked itself and he had to call for help. Meanwhile the wife missed the income and talked him into going back where it is back to him being knocked about. He has to get rid of the boat and it just might be a give away...I was asked if I was interested if it was, I said yes.

Ahaa!!! Brilliant - good luck and here’s fingers crossed for you
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Erk Greg!! And thanks for the warning!

Be careful Gary - if he gives you the boat you might end up with the boat and bloke combined! But yep, hope it works out for you!

Rick

I mentioned to Kez and she wasn't all that excited...how am I going to manage two boats if I can't sell Redwing. Bloody women and their difficult questions.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Apparently one of our resident mad people has written another seven page diatribe. One of his claims is those of us trying to keep the place functioning have psychological problems. Honest you can't make this stuff up! Looking forward to my copy.

John Welsford

I mentioned to Kez and she wasn't all that excited...how am I going to manage two boats if I can't sell Redwing. Bloody women and their difficult questions.
    You said it Gary and by the way my mooring will be available once I move.

I have just struck a sweet arrangement involving a yearly ownership of one of our SC Laser my only cost will be registering the trailer and storing the boat. You guessed it Nellie is not impressed either.

I am rather looking forward to experiencing the Laser racing with a fleet of about 8 boats which also includes a past Australian Laser champion.

Apparently one of our resident mad people has written another seven page diatribe. One of his claims is those of us trying to keep the place functioning have psychological problems. Honest you can't make this stuff up! Looking forward to my copy.
    Trolling on paper, how quaint.
    I presume he wants individual freehold amongst other things?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    You said it Gary and by the way my mooring will be available once I move.

I have just struck a sweet arrangement involving a yearly ownership of one of our SC Laser my only cost will be registering the trailer and storing the boat. You guessed it Nellie is not impressed either.

I am rather looking forward to experiencing the Laser racing with a fleet of about 8 boats which also includes a past Australian Laser champion.
    We have about 10 in our club fleet, but the main fleet is Impulse's. 4 Sabres, 4 cats of various classes, a few orphans and a junior fleet of Opti's, and Sabot variations. We race on sundays, I always start but often become distracted because I'm enjoying myself. I never was one for competition much. I enjoy the journey more than the destination.

Man, was Skippy nice to eat. Loved it. The apprentice step-daughter isn't into red meat... so dinner was interesting. The thinner, better cooked... less red sections were swapped onto her plate and a discussion on getting into it ensued.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    We have about 10 in our club fleet, but the main fleet is Impulse's. 4 Sabres, 4 cats of various classes, a few orphans and a junior fleet of Opti's, and Sabot variations. We race on sundays, I always start but often become distracted because I'm enjoying myself. I never was one for competition much. I enjoy the journey more than the destination.
    I am a self taught TS sailor who then graduated to cruising and racing Since the inception of the TVSC I have struggled to become a better dinghy sailor. Well what better way to start of with a laser and try to stay in shape at the same time.

Our fleet is also mixed about ten Corsairs half a dozen NS 4 sabers with the now emerging Laser fleet of 8 and several cats.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Trolling on paper, how quaint.
    I presume he wants individual freehold amongst other things?
    But of course!

John Welsford

Monday is looking good at the moment.
    Continuous drizzle today though. Yech.

John Welsford

Monday is looking good at the moment.
    Continuous drizzle today though. Yech.
    Actually Tuesday would be a better day tide wise. Wind and bar are the deciding factors.If I leave Monday it will have to be pre dawn.

John Welsford

Sailing in drizzle has gotta be better than just sitting around in it.

Actually Tuesday would be a better day tide wise. Wind and bar are the deciding factors.If I leave Monday it will have to be pre dawn.
    I'll wake up for a few seconds and wish you Bon Voyage .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So nice to be somewhere where it is still daylight after 5pm - 7.30 here stunning weather and a glorious sunset.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Alright, where are you?

Rick

Hawaii.

Aloha!

Rick

We've had a nice few weeks on the new wooden boat (well, balsa core is wood, innit?). We spent a couple of days exploring our way down to Bermagui, although we had to motor almost all of the way. Yecchh. The southerly blew in (one of the few that has actually hit when forecast over the last couple of months) so we abandoned plans to go further south. I'm not much into marinas, but must recommend the little one at Berma. Lovely restaurant in the harbour complex too, although it's for sale. There was some discussion on board about whether to catch the last of the southerly and blast home, or to risk being becalmed. I lost, and we motored most of the way back again. Sigh. Still, we got to poke our nose into some new anchorages.

The boat has certainly set the cat among the pigeons in the local racing fleet. In three races we have lifted our handicap by a whacking 30 minutes, scoring 1-2-2 on handicap and =2, =1, 1 on fastest times. There's a new fast cruiser (X Yacht) nine feet longer and a newer IMS racing machine our length with carbon sails to play with as well as a couple of Magic 25 sportsboats, but we're going faster each week despite only having cruising sails.

I love the rig. We go from 0-20++ knots without changing sails or reefing. Reefing takes about one minute singlehanded, perhaps less. When masthead rigs and other rigs are changing down I just lean forward and ease the traveller and then lean aft and pull on the backstay to flatten the main. Maybe the vang will go on if I feel keen. For the trip from Sydney we put up the small jib since it was breezy, and in 30 knots+ we just rolled it up and charged on under full main, fully depowered. Even a Laser can go from 0 to 25 knots+ under a nice bendy bermudan rig without a sail change, and so can a good cruiser with a modern rig.

Top speed on the GPS is 12.6, but we were just cruising so that was a blip. Target upwind boatspeed when cruising in a breeze is around 6.5, I think. Fully powered up when racing I think we'll be looking at close to 7 knots upwind and over time we'll hunt for the magic 20 when surfing under kite. I'm looking to give her a retractable on-deck bowsprit and a bigger assymetric rather than a conventional spinnaker.

It looks as if my appeal to the Ombudsman has finally stirred the insurer into life about the wooden 28'er. She's been sitting snug on her trailer and with things looking like getting sorted, she'll be off to the sailing club yacht for her multi-year rebuild. I'm looking forward to being able to work on a stable platform under cover and with power. She'll be two hours from home for a while, but once repairs get to a certain stage I may be able to bring her home.

All good Chris! Good to hear that about Bermagui too!

Rick

So nice to be somewhere where it is still daylight after 5pm - 7.30 here stunning weather and a glorious sunset.
    Beach babe photos are allowed.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Chris sounds like a great cruise I am anxiously waiting for the 20 knot surfing report

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Aloha!

Rick
    Mahalo.

‘discovered Pau Hana beer at a local brewery outlet last night.....had to try it in memory of Pau Hana the yacht (Salar 40 that I live on for a year).....very nice. They are big on local produce here in the restaurants and bars and have supermarkets set up selling pretty much only local produce, and it is terrific.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Chris, what was the insurance issue with the 28’er? You must have posted it but I missed it (or just can’t remember.....as usual)
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A good short dinghy adventure blog from WA. http://www.gaffrigsailinginwa.org/shark-bay-001
    Grateful Dead

Mahalo.

‘discovered Pau Hana beer at a local brewery outlet last night.....had to try it in memory of Pau Hana the yacht (Salar 40 that I live on for a year).....very nice. They are big on local produce here in the restaurants and bars and have supermarkets set up selling pretty much only local produce, and it is terrific.
    That doesn't sound like Honolulu - where are you?

Rick

It was a year ago that I last planned a Moreton Bay trip. Tuesday is still looking good.

John Welsford

Just about got everything sorted that has to go to the boat. Need to put a bit of thought into food, so far I've got 3 frozen meals put aside.

John Welsford

Don't forget the can opener.
    Grateful Dead

Just about got everything sorted that has to go to the boat. Need to put a bit of thought into food, so far I've got 3 frozen meals put aside.
    Call Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Don't forget the can opener.
    That's already on the boat.
    need to go to St Vinnies and get a couple of pairs of old long pants that I can get paint on.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Call Bruce.
    I am collecting snack and simple meal recipes off the net. I'm enjoying his forays into the galley.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A good short dinghy adventure blog from WA. http://www.gaffrigsailinginwa.org/shark-bay-001
    Thanks Peter, there was almost nothing there in 1964.