Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil Y
    Banned
    • Apr 2010

It's so hot I was moved to recommision my spa, which has been out of action for a while. Cool water. Cold beer. Very, very nice.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• brucemoffatt
      • Apr 2012

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

A propos of nothing, what is anyone's immediate reaction to someone buying a 40ish year old 40ish foot wooden sailing yacht of cove and bead strip plank on wooden frames, resorcinol glued (possibly mahogany) plank joints, galv plank fastenings between planks. Well maintained by one owner from new. A small amount of hull damage was done several years ago in a run-aground, and well repaired. Advice from 'others' is that the hull must be sheathed externally to avoid certain planking failure due to the galv fastenings coming to their effective end of life in the foreseeable future.

Actually asking for a friend. For what it's worth (SFA) my opinion is that sheathing an existing timber hull externally only would risk creating more issues that it would possibly solve. Sheathing internally is not possible without a virtual rebuild.
      When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• skuthorp
        • Jan 2002

Depends if friend has money to throw about, and if he does maybe there's a better craft out there. A viable hull is oneof the more important bits of a boat. I once looked at an extended Seabird, 11ft aft witha narrow spoon stern.
        Everthing there, engine, spars, sails, dinghy, radios, water and fuel tanks etc etc ….but the hull was little more than firewood.

G'day Bruce, call by more often. And merry Cristmas to you both, and that beautiful dog.

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

As long as the hull is still tight, is dried right out and there is no rot then sheathing is the best way to preserve the hull and it's what I would do. I would also sheathe the bilges internally.

Rick
          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• WX
            Uki NSW Australia
            • Feb 2002

I was offered a derigged RL28 for nothing recently. Cast iron keel needs replacing...I said no.
            It came up in a conversation when I said that if I was to get another yacht I'd look for a derigged 28-30 footer.
            Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• gypsie
              NSW Australia
              • Jun 2010

Might be able to sheath outside and just slather inside in CPES and then epoxy. I've repaired delaminated parts where one side of the wood was sheathed and the other not. The wood just works the glass away as it swells and contracts.

Will have to rip out all the furniture to get into every crevice.

It'll be a good bit of work for a while on the hard, no matter which way.

Films, I saw the three Godfather movies are on SBS online!!

Happy Christmas everyone! Here's for some rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                • Apr 2012

Thanks for the quick replies all. I'll pass them on. As much as the prospective purchaser is meticulous and hard working I'm going to try to advise them to keep looking for a boat that can be enjoyed now and for a good while without taking on a big project from the get-go.
                When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Sheathing a hull isn't really such a huge job as long as the hull is sound and dry. As far as sheathing the inside goes, it's not really necessary - just helps to keep the bilges clean. Masina is strip planked, edge-nailed, sheathed externally only. 45 years old, no delamination anywhere, no rot etc. Pretty much all strip-planked and cold-moulded boats are sheathed externally. The sheathing myths come from people sheathing worn out carvel hulls or sheathing over wet or rotten wood.

Rick
                  Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

My boat is sheathed externally only, from new. I'm not actually sure that sheathing later is any different. I've had some topside seams move and crack the sheathing. Be interesting to see if that changes now she has a dry deck. She's dried out a lot internally since I did the deck. I haven't yet been down to see how she's fared in this hot spell.

I wouldn't buy a galv fastened boat.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• RFNK
                      Port Stephens, Australia
                      • Feb 2007

Gal nails were pretty standard for edge-nailed strip planked boats. Masina is edge-nailed with gal nails. That's how the planks were aligned so it's not strictly fastening. Masina's fastening is monel screws from inside the planks, to the frames. I wouldn't want gal fastening as such.

Rick
                      Rick

Comment

• gypsie
                        NSW Australia
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by RFNK
                        Sheathing a hull isn't really such a huge job as long as the hull is sound and dry. As far as sheathing the inside goes, it's not really necessary - just helps to keep the bilges clean. Masina is strip planked, edge-nailed, sheathed externally only. 45 years old, no delamination anywhere, no rot etc. Pretty much all strip-planked and cold-moulded boats are sheathed externally. The sheathing myths come from people sheathing worn out carvel hulls or sheathing over wet or rotten wood.

Rick
                        Can't get better than that observation.
                        Here's a rudder i repaired for a family member just recently.
                        The glass had come away because of water ingress in the bottom edge where wear had brought it back to wood.

IMG_4263.jpg

It felt clear to me that the glass had shaken itself off.
                        A lot of it was fixed on tight.

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

I suppose the key difference is the rudder was constantly exposed to wet/dry cycling. As in; stored in garage for weeks and then submerged for hours in water and back again - for years.
                        I imagine that would be a significant difference to a boat which may more or less maintain the same moisture content - even if its not 'wet' in the bilges.

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

Yes. Also, a lot of wooden dinghies with glass reinforcement, particularly on rudders and boards, was applied with polyester resin, which didn't adhere as well as epoxy. Modern polyesters are better, I'm told but I'd rather trust epoxy.

Rick
                          Rick

Comment

• gypsie
                            NSW Australia
                            • Jun 2010

Bloody hot here in Sydney now.
                            Throat sore and eye's stinging.

It's like some kind of dystopian world.

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by RFNK
                              Gal nails were pretty standard for edge-nailed strip planked boats. Masina is edge-nailed with gal nails. That's how the planks were aligned so it's not strictly fastening. Masina's fastening is monel screws from inside the planks, to the frames. I wouldn't want gal fastening as such.

Rick
                              That sounds like Masina's is the same construction type as the boat in question, apart from the species of the timbers,

Comment

• RFNK
                                Port Stephens, Australia
                                • Feb 2007

Except that Masina was sheathed from `birth'. What species is the planking on this boat?

Rick
                                Rick

Comment

Working...