Page 1479 of 1486 FirstFirst ... 479979137914291469147814791480 ... LastLast
Results 51,731 to 51,765 of 51981

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Yeah got it all sorted and very happy with the way she sails. This will be the first big test for her though!

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    It was literally madness, not sailing chops, but thanks for the comment.

Now that enough time has passed I'm happier to reveal that I'd escaped from pre-existing near fatal depression to do that trip. The mental state was tipped over the edge by advice in April from the AFP that my name had been found on a 'kill list'. So yeah, I travelled as much as possible under an assumed name and really at that time found the idea of danger at sea to be a bit of comfort. I was sick enough at the time to go with the family's knowledge and blessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember one night when I thought you were going to freeze to death. I can't remember where though. Maybe just past Wilson's Prom?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I remember one night when I thought you were going to freeze to death. I can't remember where though. Maybe just past Wilson's Prom?

Just past Apollo Bay, aiming at Portland, planned fallback Port Fairy, achieved Warrnabool after advice from Rob and a call to Coast Guard to confirm the sight lines in through the reef.

It was cold, and my ability to make good decisions went down rapidly after I lost a bit of body temp. I must have burned a fair bit of energy because I felt like I was going hypoglycaemic. I had tried to train my body over time to maintain a bit of 'brown fat' to provide a bit of reserve. Not sure if that worked. Anyway the effort of going below, shedding lots of gear for having a leak, re-dressing with all the safety gear etc several times took away so much body heat. And I couldn't bring myself to pee in all my gear.

I got back to reality by resting below and drinking sweetened hot tea. I don't remember what sails were up, but prior to that point I'd had a trisail on the mast and a storm jib, and the Yanmar assisting. While I was resting up Rob was busy on shore talking to Coast Guard Warrnambool to talk me in if necessary.

It was too cold to be trying to do that leg of the Strait solo in a small boat. It's easy to forget or ignore that the Strait goes all the way to Portland and the conditions through to the edge of the shelf have a reputation for some nasty habits.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

A boatyard in Peru by Tom Robinson, who is getting ready to row across the Pacific.

14F5FC83-8F35-48F5-B489-62D35CB8A3D8.jpg

Boat launch, Leigh on Sea, England.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...49459358646833

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Boat launch, Leigh on Sea, England.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...49459358646833
    What an amazing collection of photos.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

From here...
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...s-and-Cocklers

Courtesy of Bamamick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Just past Apollo Bay, aiming at Portland, planned fallback Port Fairy, achieved Warrnabool after advice from Rob and a call to Coast Guard to confirm the sight lines in through the reef.

It was cold, and my ability to make good decisions went down rapidly after I lost a bit of body temp. I must have burned a fair bit of energy because I felt like I was going hypoglycaemic. I had tried to train my body over time to maintain a bit of 'brown fat' to provide a bit of reserve. Not sure if that worked. Anyway the effort of going below, shedding lots of gear for having a leak, re-dressing with all the safety gear etc several times took away so much body heat. And I couldn't bring myself to pee in all my gear.

I got back to reality by resting below and drinking sweetened hot tea. I don't remember what sails were up, but prior to that point I'd had a trisail on the mast and a storm jib, and the Yanmar assisting. While I was resting up Rob was busy on shore talking to Coast Guard Warrnambool to talk me in if necessary.

It was too cold to be trying to do that leg of the Strait solo in a small boat. It's easy to forget or ignore that the Strait goes all the way to Portland and the conditions through to the edge of the shelf have a reputation for some nasty habits.

thanks the warnings Bruce. All haas been heard and taken into consideration.

You blokes further south must be feeling it, because it's a bit in the chilly side this morning.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Take your beenie where ever you go, rug up and the weather isn’t a problem, but yes it’s chilly with constant squalls from the SW with associated rain and drizzle.
    Last edited by Hallam; 06-08-2022 at 06:23 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

New crew member

IMG_20220524_121832345.jpg
    Rick

Rick

Cold, wet and windy here as well. Good boat weather if you have a dry boat in a good marina.

I'm minding the boat's cat while the daughter and outlaw empty their flat of the last van load of their belongings. From Saturday arvo they will be officially live-aboards,

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Tell all please.

A very capable looking crew if ever I saw one.

Name?

His name is Sammy. He's about 5 and was owned by an old couple who looked after him well until the man died and the woman developed dementia. He was very neglected over the period prior to being rescued by the dog rescue agency we got him from. He's a great little guy, full of life and gets on well with T:s mum's dog who's also with us. Hasn't been on a boat yet but Woody's lifejacket will fit him
    Rick

Hi All, Does anyone know if I can get a traditional style ships wheel in timber or bronze made in Australia? I am after a 18" with 3/4" taper bore for my boat. I know I can get one out of the US through the likes of Edson, but would like to support local if I can. Regards Chris

Went to Bunnings and bought an L shaped molding 25mm each side and 2.4 long. $30.90!!!

Went to the bayside pier they are re decking and bought some old deck planks 8 x 3.5 meter lengths of 75 x 200 Yellow Box Total $200

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Went to the bayside pier they are re decking and bought some old deck planks 8 x 3.5 meter lengths of 75 x 200 Yellow Box Total $200
    I'd be happy with that price.

Yes, they will be used as uprights for a shed build. Looking for roof trusses now. The shed will have 4 posts a side with a truss on each pair. Between the posts will be monument grey colorbond with foil lined insulation and same for the roof.

Bruce Cockburn

Yes, they will be used as uprights for a shed build. Looking for roof trusses now. The shed will have 4 posts a side with a truss on each pair. Between the posts will be monument grey colorbond with foil lined insulation and same for the roof.
    Gumtree and Facebook marketplace are good sources.

Anyone used a Tanner (NZ) table saw?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Anyone used a Tanner (NZ) table saw?
    I have one, given to me by my father in law many years ago, along with a tanner bandsaw.
    Done a lot of work over the years, has a short bed buzzer attached as well, great on the building site back in the day.
    It is currently in a converted state for cutting tenons, I can't show you any photos of this as it may get me arrested.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    I have one, given to me by my father in law many years ago, along with a tanner bandsaw.
    Done a lot of work over the years, has a short bed buzzer attached as well, great on the building site back in the day.
    It is currently in a converted state for cutting tenons, I can't show you any photos of this as it may get me arrested.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Any things you don't like about it?
    Given my present table saw is a cheap Rockwell that I bought back around 2010...anything is virtually a step up in quality. I will say though, it did an incredible amount of work.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Any things you don't like about it?
    Given my present table saw is a cheap Rockwell that I bought back around 2010...anything is virtually a step up in quality. I will say though, it did an incredible amount of work.
    It was a great workhorse, did everything that was asked of it. It's an old model, how old I have no idea.
    I ended up buying a table saw with a bigger table and more accurate/longer fence. The motor is more powerful as well on the new one.
    In saying that the Tanner mostly did the job, struggled a bit on the ripping side if the timber dimensions ended up thicker than 50mm but it had a good cast iron chassis and was a solid platform.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    It was a great workhorse, did everything that was asked of it. It's an old model, how old I have no idea.
    I ended up buying a table saw with a bigger table and more accurate/longer fence. The motor is more powerful as well on the new one.
    In saying that the Tanner mostly did the job, struggled a bit on the ripping side if the timber dimensions ended up thicker than 50mm but it had a good cast iron chassis and was a solid platform.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Pretty much what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

I think it's time I bought some thermal underwear.

Aldi has some marino wollens on sale. I bought up on pure merino thermals sometime during Covid when Katmandu had a sale. Two sets of everything. Pure wool long johns where the best thing to come out of the lockdown era for me.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Chris68 View Post
    Hi All, Does anyone know if I can get a traditional style ships wheel in timber or bronze made in Australia? I am after a 18" with 3/4" taper bore for my boat. I know I can get one out of the US through the likes of Edson, but would like to support local if I can. Regards Chris
    I don't know of anyone making them here but there would be suppliers who bring them in from overseas. They come up for secondhand sale on Gumtree and eBay too, from time to time.

The NSW TAFE course in woodturning used to have a ship's wheel as a final year project but I'm not sure if that course still runs. There are, however, various woodturning clubs around and you could approach some of them to see if anyone might build you one.
    Rick

A fair bit of wind in Bass Strait last night.

Bruce Cockburn

Aldi has some marino wollens on sale. I bought up on pure merino thermals sometime during Covid when Katmandu had a sale. Two sets of everything. Pure wool long johns where the best thing to come out of the lockdown era for me.
    A friend lent me some when I went down to Armidale to collect Redwing ll. I've been meaning to buy some ever since.

Cold? You get used to it by the time the summer heat returns,……………. repeat……..repeat……….

Cold? Went out on a nice gaff rig converted cray boat this morning. Saw the birds working a school of salmon with dolphins and seals on the chase but didn't hook any. I think they were being driven deep and we didn't have a para vein to get the lure down deep enough.
    This is the boat, Kauri Chief.

Bruce Cockburn

There's a Durden Junior Joiner for $490 a couple of hours north of here that I think might be worth considering.