Page 869 of 1416 FirstFirst ... 3697698198598688698708799199691369 ... LastLast
Results 30,381 to 30,415 of 49534

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    He sat in a tub of blue antifoul

Rick
    I don't want whatever it is you're smoking, thanks.

My Yellowtail is quietly maturing. I started on fixing the problem pieces a while back... and will get to it again sometime. I'd hacked out almost all the inappropriate materials the guy had used. The two pieces I didn't hack out... a strip of pine in each gunwale, I really should have. Getting them out now is problematic, but I think I've got the solution. They are only about an inch square... and they just crumbled. So... do I hack off the good timber above them... or do I scoop them out and replace from below?

The Right answer is probably to go back to the hull and build out again, but I didn't want to waste the new deck. I'm pretty sure I'll take the mahogany cover strip off though... which may become the deciding factor

Actually... just looking at it here.... I think I'll rip that last couple of inches off and replace it

I'll wait until the new boat-lift is installed. The project at present is to widen the concrete pad, build a carport and install the boat-lift. It's a Repco 2.1 tonne lift

Nothing like being able to lift the boat to the right work height, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Working on an older classic sometimes holds unexpected surprises. While preparing WB main hatch for the installation of my new hatch cover I realized the hatch cover is made out of 10 m plastic. Not happy even though the 6 m strips glued on top will beef it up ,this hatch will be a permanent weakness in WB deck structure.

[IMG][/IMG]
    I Cant really see where the plastic is in your pic. FWIW Balia has large Perspex inserts in her fore and aft hatches. I'd say 10mm thick and maybe 50cm diameter. Been OK since 1974. And of course all modern aluminium framed hatches are Perspex or polycarbonate or some such.

Rake out the pine and epoxy in a strip of something more suitable.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I don't want whatever it is you're smoking, thanks.

My Yellowtail is quietly maturing. I started on fixing the problem pieces a while back... and will get to it again sometime. I'd hacked out almost all the inappropriate materials the guy had used. The two pieces I didn't hack out... a strip of pine in each gunwale, I really should have. Getting them out now is problematic, but I think I've got the solution. They are only about an inch square... and they just crumbled. So... do I hack off the good timber above them... or do I scoop them out and replace from below?

The Right answer is probably to go back to the hull and build out again, but I didn't want to waste the new deck. I'm pretty sure I'll take the mahogany cover strip off though... which may become the deciding factor

Actually... just looking at it here.... I think I'll rip that last couple of inches off and replace it

I'll wait until the new boat-lift is installed. The project at present is to widen the concrete pad, build a carport and install the boat-lift. It's a Repco 2.1 tonne lift

Nothing like being able to lift the boat to the right work height, eh?
    Turn the boat upside down. Scrape out the remains of the pine. Pour in your choice of thickened epoxy. Job done. I've just installed a 4 post hoist to complement the existing 2 post job. Nice to just drive onto the ramps, no messing about on your hands and knees positioning the swing arms.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Rake out the pine and epoxy in a strip of something more suitable.

Rick
    That's what I started to do... but, some hadn't "matured" enough to come out easily.... which is why I left it for a while. I'll have to sacrifice some tools to the hidden metal delights, methinks. Two of the kids are real keen to have it in the water.... but one of them has scarpered to America to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Turn the boat upside down. Scrape out the remains of the pine. Pour in your choice of thickened epoxy. Job done. I've just installed a 4 post hoist to complement the existing 2 post job. Nice to just drive onto the ramps, no messing about on your hands and knees positioning the swing arms.
    Given the volume... that's possibly about $500 of epoxy. The other complication is the rigging loads. I figured I might use some of my spotted gum strips in there for strength... with thickened epoxy... and maybe even some of the leftover carbon and glass I've got laying around. I'll see if it comes out reasonably first.

Re lifts... nice to have a choice of two... and I did consider a ramp lift, but I've only got room for one, so the two poster allows me to work with the wheels off the vehicle. That's the actual lift in the photo, btw. Bought it a while back. Used that shed to do the engine replacement in my son's car a few weeks back... using the two poster they have now. They upgraded to one that's more appropriate to the 4x4s they work on. They did, it's rumoured, have a 4 tonner on this lift once...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Given the volume... that's possibly about $500 of epoxy. The other complication is the rigging loads. I figured I might use some of my spotted gum strips in there for strength... with thickened epoxy... and maybe even some of the leftover carbon and glass I've got laying around. I'll see if it comes out reasonably first.

Re lifts... nice to have a choice of two... and I did consider a ramp lift, but I've only got room for one, so the two poster allows me to work with the wheels off the vehicle. That's the actual lift in the photo, btw. Bought it a while back. Used that shed to do the engine replacement in my son's car a few weeks back... using the two poster they have now. They upgraded to one that's more appropriate to the 4x4s they work on. They did, it's rumoured, have a 4 tonner on this lift once...
    Lots of filler.

My 4 poster has plates in the middle of each ramp which lift the car up to get the wheels off the ramp.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 07-28-2016 at 06:43 PM.

My 4 poster has plates in the middle of each ramp which lift the car up to get the wheels off the ramp.
    That sounds good.... but I think it might be a bit much in my urban setting.

I'm pushing the boundaries a tad, putting this one in. Carports are now a "just do it" deal... subject to some limits, all of which I meet. Two posters don't rate a mention, and by including it at the same time as the carport, I should be OK

By my reckoning, I'll have about 150mm clearance between the top of the X5 and the carport roof. I'm just waiting on some, ahem, American engineering advice as to exactly where it's to go.

The concreting was the quid pro quo deal with #3 sprog for doing the engine swap for him. As a mechanic, he makes a great poet.

Huon in Brisbane http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisb...abs/1099448276

and this little double ender in WA again. I wish it were closer .
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alban...cht/1113859968
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I Cant really see where the plastic is in your pic. FWIW Balia has large Perspex inserts in her fore and aft hatches. I'd say 10mm thick and maybe 50cm diameter. Been OK since 1974. And of course all modern aluminium framed hatches are Perspex or polycarbonate or some such.
    The plastic is the top or flat part of the hatch, this is what it looks now underneath the NG rosewood strips.
    Thanks Rick its probably more like 8mm , and I was just frustrated not having realized what the actual hatch material was made of , combined with the close tolerances on the hatch cover not allowing me extra room for reinforcing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sold the 2 post hoist that was in my shed. I have a OH rail with traveling trucks and 2 chain hoists. Keeps the floor clear.

Now here's a boat that might get tongues talking http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pram-Ding...kAAOSwGtNXid-7

Rick

Someone bought that Yellowtail. Wasn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Huon in Brisbane http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisb...abs/1099448276

and this little double ender in WA again. I wish it were closer .
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alban...cht/1113859968
    It would be great for WB to have a sister down at Fingal.

Unfortunately she's in WA and I'm a bit restricted at the moment.... and a few other reasons , just an underlying unsureness,
    Grateful Dead

I have my short-bruce wetsuit. Thank you Rick for your recommendations. I look rather dashing in my wetsuit and rashie. I do have a bit of a cold so I shan't be hitting the surf immediately, however I do expect to get better quickly. You should anticipate tales of watery wintery exploits rather soon.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Went for a sail with a few of the other yachts on the river today. They had a head start on me motoring up the river and I caught up as they turned to sail back down with the wind and tide. As the last yacht passed me I turned and shut down the outboard. Eased the sheet out a fair bit and passed all three. Okay we weren't racing but with the full rig up and on a run she gets moving. When I finally caught up to Colin he asked me if had the motor running.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I tried out my little camera today and took a couple of videos. Didn't turn it off properly and recorded an hour or so of the inside of my hatch cover.

Who needs a wooden boat, when you have wooden window joinery. You get to enjoy scraping, sanding and painting all from the comfort of your lounge!
    Everything in our place is aluminium, except for a timber framed conservatory off the lounge. We are getting a double glazing retro-fit co. to quote, and now is a good time to give the framing a bit of love - all of the nasty bits will get routed out when the rebate gets re-cut for the double glazing, if the quote isnt too horrendous. I'm expecting at least $10K, as quite a bit runs to the floor, and will have to be safety glass.
    To be fair to the timber conservatory bits, we haven't really given them any TLC in the eighteen years we've been here, other than re-roofing them. It doesn't leak now, which is more than I can say for the job done by the professionals who built it.

Pete
    I have six trolls on ignore

All our windows are .... old , salvaged from the headquarters of the Bank of New South Wales in Queens St , Brisbane sometime in the early 1980s, that probably makes them 130 years old. A wee bit of maintenance ongoing.
    Grateful Dead

Our place is vintage early seventies, and having stood up to 10,000+ quakes and aftershooks almost unscathed, I shouldn't slag it or the builder too much. If would have been nice if they had spent just a tiny bit more, and used straight, planer gauged framing throughout the house. And it would have been good it the builder had a basic understanding of geometric principles such as plumb and perpendicular. I am not kidding, every time we have done alterations, fitting plasterboard to wonky, out of true walls, has been an exercise in frustration.
    The conservatory was a later addition, and apart from the original abysmally flashed dead flat roof, was quite nicely built. It is all Rimu - an NZ native red pine, including the ceiling, which is inch and a half thick t&g - all bright finished, of course
    I have six trolls on ignore

I once had a to replace an alloy frame window in an old farm cottage with nice new custom made timber ones. When I pulled the alloy frame out I found they had just cut a hole in the wall, there was no header or sill plate and it was a structural wall.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Went for a sail with a few of the other yachts on the river today. They had a head start on me motoring up the river and I caught up as they turned to sail back down with the wind and tide. As the last yacht passed me I turned and shut down the outboard. Eased the sheet out a fair bit and passed all three. Okay we weren't racing but with the full rig up and on a run she gets moving. When I finally caught up to Colin he asked me if had the motor running.
    More than one sailboat on the water and you reckon it's not a race? Yeah right. Well done on the catch up.

More than one sailboat on the water and you reckon it's not a race? Yeah right. Well done on the catch up.

We're having a go at sailing to Southport on the 8 th if the weather is right. I'm keen to try her against the other yachts on different points of wind. As a friend said today we don't race our yachts, except when we come up with another yacht going in the same direction.

Excellent score in the ongoing firewood quest on Friday. I have a mate who delivers bottled gas around the place. He called to let me know of a fallen tree which was being cut up by Council contractors. And an hour later another nearby. 2 hours later I had our truck and 2 trailers all well overloaded with good quality cut firewood. We have some splitting to do this morning. But feeling very well satisfied with our haul.

How much firewood do you go through a year Phil?
    Grateful Dead

Excellent score in the ongoing firewood quest on Friday. I have a mate who delivers bottled gas around the place. He called to let me know of a fallen tree which was being cut up by Council contractors. And an hour later another nearby. 2 hours later I had our truck and 2 trailers all well overloaded with good quality cut firewood. We have some splitting to do this morning. But feeling very well satisfied with our haul.
    There's something very satisfying about splitting good firewood.

Peter, please check your inbox re a cousin of yours.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I have Bruce and thank you very much !!!!
    Grateful Dead

There is indeed. I used to heat my entire house at the Creek with a Norwegian Jøtul stove, using red gum almost exclusively. The stove ran for nine months of the year, and I probably used about a ton a quarter.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Especially when you planted the tree in the first place .
    Grateful Dead

Especially when the firewood was free from the side of the road! About half lovely dense red gum, the other half a lighter white eucalypt. I recon 5 or 6 tons. Shared with a mate who spotted it on his gas delivery rounds and whose son helped me pick it up. Good morning splitting and sawing today, it was fun. We have 2 hydraulic splitters and that big widow maker cicular saw which runs off the tractor, so we got through it quite well. Peter not sure how many tons we burn each year. This is the first full winter we've had the Bosky stove and the hydronic system, and some big bifold doors which are a bit leaky, and a big expanse of single glazed glass. And the kitchen at the moment has no skirting boards, so it's a bit like heating a tent. A bulk Apple bin lasts about a week and a half.

We don't use a lot of wood as the house is only 6 years old and well insulated. Bit of a compromise using metal framed double glazed windows but much less maintenance. And I too enjoy using the axe and splitter, always have.

We've burned about 2.5 cubic meters this year and will burn another half before spring, it's been a warm winter.
    Grateful Dead