Page 1336 of 1336 FirstFirst ... 33683612361286132613351336
Results 46,726 to 46,753 of 46753

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I love this time of year. Days are still warm but not hot, mornings are just starting to crisp up, evenings are cooler, and we get wonderfully still mornings and evenings across the water. I like those calm grey autumn days but they're still a few weeks off.

Rick
    This is the time of year for sailing in our part of the world. It's one of the reasons I dislike Christmas. One is kind of obliged to have the big annual holiday at Christmas time. And usually the weather is pretty awful for sailing. It takes a huge effort of will to do any significant cruise around now rather than trying over Christmas. Hopefully this time next year.....

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Weeeeell ...., I used Awlgrip and I just love the stuff. Purely by chance, the Awlgrip colour I use is identical to a Kiwigrip colour. It's a light beige - I'll find the name of it and post it. There are other paints that are just as tough as Awlgrip and possibly not quite as expensive .... but I don't know what they are. Awlgrip has amazing coverage. A 1 litre kit would be more than enough for your trim, cockpit and cabinsides etc. It's tricky stuff to use but easy once shown how. For primer, I use Jotun Penguard. It's a two-pack epoxy high-build primer. I like it because it really is high-build and it's easy to sand to a very smooth finish.

Rick

Have you used norglass Rick? I'm thinking of using them.

Tricky to apply until shown how doesn't sound quite like my kind of paint! Although I'm open to a little tutoring.

I really like the company and many of their products but I've had no luck with their two-pack paints. I hate to say it but I really hate their two-pack primer, and I haven't been able to achieve a good finish with their two-pack poly finish coat. It could be just my technique.

I spoke to a painter who rolled another paint onto a big cat in December and that came up really well. I could find out the name of that paint but it'll take me a while to find out.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Tricky to apply until shown how doesn't sound quite like my kind of paint! Although I'm open to a little tutoring.

It's not hard at all but you do have to follow the procedure closely. I can step it out for you as long as you promise to (a) do exactly as you're told, (b) not complain, and (c) not blame me if you stuff it up. I was shown how to use it by someone who is really good at it. I then took the advice of the Akzo Nobel rep and found a much easier technique which works really well. The problem with Awlgrip is that you can't polish it - not at all, so if you leave any runs, you have to sand it off and do it again. You can't blend it in the way you can with other paints. It gives you a perfect finish off brush or roller. If you don't want a really good finish, and don't want to use a fussy paint, don't use Awlgrip. But - if you want to paint the boat with a roller and brush and achieve a finish that looks like someone who knew what they were doing spray painted it, then use Awlgrip (or the other stuff I don't know the name of). I've also heard good things about the top-of-the-range International paint - Superb or something like that, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not a very good painter and I do love using Awlgrip!

Rick

The International paint is called Perfection. It's a two-pack, pretty sure it's polyurethane. I bought some International Toplac when Bunnings sold off all their marine paints for next to nothing and it's really nice. I'm using it for a lot of Masina's interior. Very easy to use as long as the weather's not too hot.

Rick

Hmmmm. I don't need perfect and don't want fussy. So I'm not too excited about awlgrip at this stage. Easy to apply, hard wearing, great at hiding poor preparation, easy to touch up small cracks, scratches and dings and looks OK when dirty at 20 feet away would make me happy.

It's not hard at all but you do have to follow the procedure closely. I can step it out for you as long as you promise to (a) do exactly as you're told, (b) not complain, and (c) not blame me if you stuff it up.

Rick
    well... that rules that out.

I really like the company and many of their products but I've had no luck with their two-pack paints. I hate to say it but I really hate their two-pack primer, and I haven't been able to achieve a good finish with their two-pack poly finish coat. It could be just my technique.

I spoke to a painter who rolled another paint onto a big cat in December and that came up really well. I could find out the name of that paint but it'll take me a while to find out.

Rick
    cheers

Two-pack poly paint lasts soooo long compared to anything else. It's really tough stuff. None of it will hide poor prep but a good high-build primer will to some extent. Jotun Penguard is a really good primer for that. Why not try the Norglass two-pack finish and see what you think? Kiwigrip can be tinted to any colour by the way with ordinary acrylic tint at the hardware shop.

You probably don't want to know about shadow coat then?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    cheers
    By the way, I painted my fibreglass dinghy with Norglass two-pack. I bought it to paint Masina's cockpit but couldn't get a decent finish. The dinghy's left out in the weather 24/7 and the only thing that affects the paint is dragging the dinghy across wet sand. The paint's been there for about 5 years now and looks as good as new.

Rick

I've been quietly making slow progress with Pixie. That old problem I found was quite a nasty bit of damage to sort out.

I know it's a condition of membership to take photos and document progress. I have tried to take occasional photos but it's never possible to see what the hell the photo is about. Shooting underneath the boat with the sky in the background around the edges just doesn't work. The flash makes it worse. I know I really aught to set up some studio lights at the boatyard... but, ya know... I just want to get the repair done.

In the Quite A Bit Less Good area, I made a new section in three wedge shaped pieces. The outer two got tucked in through the narrow gap and then pushed out to each side against the planks, with the middle piece (and the gluing surfaces of the three) arranged as a wedge so that pushing the middle piece up into place forced the side pieces outwards into their place. They were a headache to shape, as you can imagine. There were two temporary screws across those three pieces to make sure the joints were pulled together nice, so I drilled a couple of holes through the planks one side so I could put those screws in during gluing and remove them afterwards. I added a strip of packing tape on the underside of the knee above this so the new piece didn't glue to the knee. That's kind of cheating, but there you go.

This morning I ground the outer face of all this fairly flat and cut a bit further along the face of the stem above that so I have a kind of lap joint. Then I spent all afternoon trying to fit a solid piece to this. This will cover the inner new piece and the plank ends, being sort of the outer half of the plank rebate. I ground everything back a bit, including the plank ends, so I had a flat area. It's fairly flat athwartships but a bit curved along its length. I failed to get a solid piece to fit. Because of the short scarf at the ends the length goes wrong at about the same rate as the curve approaches correctness. I abandoned that. I'm going to try laminating this piece in. I'll cut some thin bits in the morning and see how that goes. There are two bolts through this area, near each end, so clamping a laminate in there will be easy.

I promise to take photos tomorrow and post them even if they make no sense.

Great score today two brand new Plastimo Regatta buoys bought of a Super Yacht that just arrived from Europe.
    They are a perfect flotation size for the Tammie Norrie including what will become two velcro storage pouches ,originally designed for ballast.

Preparing the Tammie for a little coastal cruise.

[IMG][/IMG]

They do go well.

Matt that sounds like some tricky carpentry going on.

Or possibly just butchery, with the mistakes filled with epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Great score today two brand new Plastimo Regatta buoys bought of a Super Yacht that just arrived from Europe.
    They are a perfect flotation size for the Tammie Norrie including what will become two velcro storage pouches ,originally designed for ballast.
    Excellent find, and she looks great all prepped.

As it turns out the foredeck is better than I expected. So far. I have most of the teak and top layer of ply off the port side so far, and the bottom layer of ply looks good. I'm relieved as it goes under the focsle and it will be nice if I can leave the bottom layer intact just do a join in the top layer an inch or two out. I know that both layers of ply are gone right in the bow, and around the Sampson post. But otherwise I'm thinking positive thoughts right now.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I had to pull my bow roller fitting off. the ply went under it.
    I was glad, it wasn't in good condition. the timber was more of the same rot, but the inside of the bow roller was corroding away merrily. hence all the rust i had running down my stem.
    It gave me the chance to give it a really good paint job.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Have you used norglass Rick? I'm thinking of using them.
    I've used all Norglass system on mine.
    I'm not experienced with other brands at this scale, but i liked it. 2 pack epoxy primer went on with no trouble. the top coat is a single part polyurethane that covered really well, leveled nicely and was good and dense. 2 coats came up really nice (pity about my fairing though.... )

I'm using the norglass varnish and i like it more than any other varnish i've used. proper varnish, not urethane, and goes on smooth. holidays are easy to catch and flattens nicely.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

I also like their varnish and single pack poly. Unfortunately I don't think the single pack top coat will last as well outside.

Rick

Well the foredeck was not so good from about the anchor winch forward. I've kind of snuck up towards the stem fitting which is bronze and I think I'm going to call it good enough. Not a bad result overall. Big patch of all new deck which I'll have to fit around the Sampson post, in fact I think the post will come out and go back in later. All new where the winch goes. Bottom layer of deck stays around the focsle. And I don't have to remove the stem head fitting. I don't think I can remove the inner forestay fitting. It seems to have a flat plate on deck, welded to a rod which goes down through the forepeak and through the stem. So that's a fiddly bit to work around. I undid tje bolts going through the deck plate, but it seems yo be one with the rod.

Cheers Gyps!

I don't think I can remove the inner forestay fitting. It seems to have a flat plate on deck, welded to a rod which goes down through the forepeak and through the stem. So that's a fiddly bit to work around. I undid tje bolts going through the deck plate, but it seems yo be one with the rod.
    Mine was held on my two large rods drifted - tightly - in. One end was threaded and screwed into tapped parts at the deck. the other end was peaned over. The thread had gone, so with a few really good wallops i was eventually able to drive the rods out through the front.

I had the holes pad welded and new holes drilled. The fitting is now secured with 2 x 100mm M12 coach screws through the front, perpendicular to the stem, and 3 x short M12 coach screws in through the top, perpendicular to the deck.
    The two forces are the forestay and the anchor/mooring. Now both of them are covered by sheer force resistance - and the lines of penetration of the bolts cross so the interlocking gives security. At least thats what i am telling myself and I'm fine with it!

Sounds solid. But I was meaning the inner forestay, not the bow fitting. I have a cutter ketch rig. A bit of fiddling to do and I'm ready to put new ply on the foredeck. Yee haa! I was a bit surprised to find that the Sampson post just pulled out. Nothing but gravity and friction holding it in place.

I was a bit surprised to find that the Sampson post just pulled out. Nothing but gravity and friction holding it in place.
    yeah right!
    I suppose the forces on it are completely lateral, so fastners only need be locators. If the structure does that anyway - cool.
    But you'd imagine some jiggling at sea would have freed it up.

I wonder was the job the apprentice had before he could head home on a Friday arvo - the night he finally had a date with the hot chick he always fancied at school?