• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RFNK
    Port Stephens, Australia
    • Feb 2007

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Originally posted by gypsie
    Not sure if this did the rounds at some point.
    A doco reviewed by the Woodenboat Mag; https://iview.abc.net.au/show/wake-of-the-may-queen

I haven't watched it yet.
    Got a good review.
    Yes, we did talk about it here when it was broadcast a couple of years or so ago. It's a nice film!
    Rick
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• RFNK
      Port Stephens, Australia
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hallam
      [FONT="]Was driving home along the Boulevard after Mt Martha around sunset tonight and noticed a tinny doing tight donuts at high speed about 500 meters offshore. Pulled over for a close look and sure enough there was no one in the tinny and a person making slow headway swimming to shore about a third of the way. Conditions where flat seas, calm. Rang 000 .....the police chopper took about 7 min to arrive and began circling....must have been out flying in the area somewhere. 10 min there was a boat from Martha Cove marina, the coastguard boat i presume, heading to the spot directed by the chopper and picked the MOB up, by then about half way to shore. Light was fading, it would have been close to dark when and if he made it to shore.[/FONT]
      I was on my way down the rocks to meet him if he made it to shore when the coastguard arrived and boy was I relieved! It would have been a long cold swim
      Great work Hallam!! How lucky you were there and realised what was going on!

Rick
      Rick

Comment

• WX
        Uki NSW Australia
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Hallam
        Wow, a harrowing experience! I came here to type up tonights experience and read that. Glad it worked out well.

I Was driving home along the Boulevard after Mt Martha around sunset tonight and noticed a tinny doing tight donuts at high speed about 500 meters offshore. Pulled over for a close look and sure enough there was no one in the tinny and a person making slow headway swimming to shore about a third of the way. Conditions where flat seas, calm. Rang 000 .....the police chopper took about 7 min to arrive and began circling....must have been out flying in the area somewhere. 10 min there was a boat from Martha Cove marina, the coastguard boat i presume, heading to the spot directed by the chopper and picked the MOB up, by then about half way to shore. Light was fading, it would have been close to dark when and if he made it to shore.

I was on my way down the rocks to meet him if he made it to shore when the coastguard arrived and boy was I relieved! It would have been a long cold swim
        Well done mate. Maybe next time he will attach the cutoff switch to himself. Was he wearing a PFD?
        Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• WX
          Uki NSW Australia
          • Feb 2002

The rain has started so all hatches are closed except for top washboard. On duty tomorrow but should only be in the river. The bar is likely to be dangerous.
          Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Hallam
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by WX
            Well done mate. Maybe next time he will attach the cutoff switch to himself. Was he wearing a PFD?
            I don't know as I didn't have my binocs and it was getting dark. I usually carry the binocs everywhere. After he was picked up they went back to the tinny and circled it a few times. I'm thinking they fouled the prop with a rope as after a bit of mucking about around the tinny the engine stopped. I headed back to the car, my coopers stout and bag of chips at that point as obviously he must have been ok, they weren't in a hurry to get him back to shore. There where a couple of ambos waiting at the Safety Beach boat ramp pier as I drove past.
            Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
            Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• Hallam
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by WX
              Fisrt thing my son said when i told him was he should have had the cut off switch attached.
              Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
              Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• skuthorp
                • Jan 2002

re weather, I was driving through heavy hail around Tenterfield on wednesday. Not a few sliding about on the road. Harder to drive in than snow.

Comment

• Phil Y
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Aquinian
                  Some of you might recall I mentioned my sister having a drama at sea a few months back. I didn’t realise she put up a blog post about it: http://oldshoesnewpath.com/2019/02/2...heroes-abound/

Looks like it was a pretty big sea.

Regards,
                  John.
                  I missed that but wow, sounds like there's a couple of stories to tell, and lucky she and her family are alive.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Phil Y
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2010

Well done Hallam, a lot of people would have just thought That's Odd and drove on.

Comment

• Aquinian
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2015

Yeah, good work. He certainly can count himself one lucky punter!

Comment

• auscruisertom
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Aquinian
                        Some of you might recall I mentioned my sister having a drama at sea a few months back. I didn’t realise she put up a blog post about it: http://oldshoesnewpath.com/2019/02/2...heroes-abound/

Looks like it was a pretty big sea.
                        Regards,
                        John.
                        Amazing story I can’t even begin to imagine the logistics of hooking up and being towed behind a freighters at night during a storm at that speed.

However from my experience of being towed across the Clarence river bar with WB stern partially submerged and water pouring over her stern while being followed by breakers , its not an experience I care to repeat.

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

It is - nicely written too!

Rick
                          Rick

Comment

• Phil Y
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by RFNK
                            It is - nicely written too!

Rick
                            Her writing has something extraordinary to it. I'm not quite sure what it is. Very carefully crafted to tell enough of the story in a very engaging manner, although in the end very little is told at all.

Comment

• Aquinian
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2015

She’s always had a way with words. Sometimes they’re even true. ��

In this case they are certainly true, the experience was so traumatic I am sure they won’t sail again.

Some parts she left out. The freighter brought them alongside and tried to have them climb a rope ladder. Impossible, and the mast swung over and smashed the spreaders, leaving them fearing that the rig might come down. It’s a 50’ yacht, so it’s a serious rig. The hull also took a beating from the side of the freighter. Then the crew of the freighter let the line lengthen and the boat moved aft, leaving my sister, on the helm, in danger of the ship’s screw, so hubby cut the line... She described being confronted by this towering prop, thinking she was going right into it.

She stayed at the helm with an injured ankle, and hubby handled the foredeck, with injured ribs. She told us he was repeatedly covered in green water and she was amazed each time that he was still aboard. The line from the freighter kept breaking, and gathering and cleating on a new one each time was an exhausting process, having to hook the huge line and haul it in, then cleat it. Much of this was at night. Hubby has reached epic status in her eyes, as you can imagine. He’s a big guy, but how he kept going is beyond comprehension. I guess the two young sons downstairs would be the reason.

She said when they anchored finally the crap on the cabin sole was a foot deep, including spilled rubbish.

Horrible experience. Will make a good book.

Regards,
                              John.

Comment

• Phil Y
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2010

Frightening. Don't know the circumstances of course, but it makes you wonder if they'd have been better served riding out the storm.

Comment

Working...