Thread: I took a little trip...

Default I took a little trip...

...from the Atlantic coast of Canada (Yarmouth, NS) to the west coast of Canada (Vancouver, BC) to visit my daughter and her boyfriend. Aside from constant mask-wearing, slatherings of antiseptic hand goo and social distancing due to a global pandemic, constant pain from an injured Achille's tendon, and the worst air quality in the world due to smoke from the terrible forest fires all along the American west coast, I had a fine time. It was great to see Gwyn & Isaac, and to see a bit of the place they live in (my first time to the west coast). All the crappy bits only serve to make sure that my next visit to see them will be even better.

The reason for the trip: My daughter Gwyn and her boyfriend Isaac…

IMGP7688.jpg

Maureen & I at the Sea-to-Sky Gondola lodge outside of Squamish, BC. Sadly, two days later someone – either vandals or protestors – cut the gondola cable, causing the collapse of the entire gondola system at a damage estimate somewhere north of $10 million.

IMGP7697.jpg

A picture of the lodge at the top of the mountain at the Sea-to-Sky Gondola. We walked across the suspension bridge, which terrified my wife – she is not a fan of heights at all, at all. Kudos to her for working up the courage to overcome her fears.

IMGP7676.jpg

We spent a few days in and around the tourist & surfer mecca of Tofino on Vancouver Island, a favourite spot for Gwyn & Isaac, who are avid though novice surfers. A troller leaving Tofino harbour; sadly, the haze is not fog or mist, but smoke from forest fires in the USA:

IMGP7792.jpg

Isaac & I on Chesterman Beach, just south of Tofino:

Michael & Isaac at Chesterman Beach BC.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: I took a little trip...

Good for you!!

It looks like a spectacular part of the world.

Now that the westerlies and rains have arrived you'll have to make another trip. Perhaps timed to be able to catch the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival? Sorry you had to endure the smoke, but it's always worth it to be able to see family! We had the same problem last time we went down to visit our daughter in Australia. Big fires, lots of smoke. Hugs from the kid are worth it!

Good stuff, Michael. Glad you got to see your girl and her guy.

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sounds like it was worth the pain Michael. Did you drive or fly? Or go by train? My father, who was not much of a traveler until much later in life, told me that the trans Canada rail trip (albeit mum and dad did it west to east) was the best thing he’d done amongst all of his travels.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Time constraints dictated that we flew out & back, Larks. However, one of the line items on my 'bucket list' is to take the train at least from Calgary to Vancouver thru the Rockies.

My daughter has moved out there too, so we'll be making trips to the Campbell River area in the future.

See you on the plane.

How many years since she rolled the truck? I think of that all the time, it would scare the crap out of me.

Cool trip. Looks nice. Must take some effort to cut a cable that large.

Dave Hadfield: I would look forward to sharing some in-flight time with you. I know dick-all about flying, but love flying in small planes, so I am sure we could find something to talk about for an hour or two.

Hwyl: That accident was in 2007. I try not to think much about it, and when I do, I am thankful for the luck of innocents.

bluedog225: Ayup, not a job for a hacksaw with a dull blade.

You seem so happy!

Why did your daughter go west? She already had an ocean!
    My elder son went east. Job opportunities were better for what he does.
    We normally visit at least a couple of times each year but have been reluctant to fly in this pandemic so have not been to see him and his family since Christmas time.

boatman1975: How could I not be happy when I am spending time with my daughter?

oldsub86: Gwyn went to Vancouver to join her boyfriend who accepted a lucrative offer to join a high-tech job there. Subsequently, she landed a good, high-responsibilty job in her field of expertise. But I hear you about kids far away and Covid-restricted travel; one of the reasons we went there last month was because we could afford the time to self-quarantine when we got home. The kids do not have that luxury should they come home for Christmas this year. If we had not gone, it is highly likely that we would not have seen them for close to two years.

Now that is an exceptionally fine trip! I am going to take that gondola sea to sky ride next time we go over to Vancouver and that is all your fault mmd! Great adventure!
    Jay

I hope that he gondola is repaired (again) by the rtime you get there, Jay. It is a lovely trip up the mountain, and I am told the views are incredible when not blocked by forest fire smoke. The hiking trails at the top are very nice.

Looks like a very nice trip.

There is another gondola that goes up from Vancouver- Grouse mountain. I'm partial to it as I proposed to my wife at the top.

Just in case they don't get the cable fixed for next time!

Great views from up there. As long as you're in the area, the Capilano Suspension Bridge is touristy, but cool, with some great trails. https://www.capbridge.com/

Hugh, we wanted to do the Grouse Mtn gondola too, but time didn't allow us to do both, and the planned trip to the Capilano Bridge got deleted because the day we were to go was the worst smoke day of the whole trip and the stench, irritation, and limited visibility kinda took the fun out of it. Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Time constraints dictated that we flew out & back, Larks. However, one of the line items on my 'bucket list' is to take the train at least from Calgary to Vancouver thru the Rockies.
    Yes!....I would agree with this.

On our list, too! A friend's folks did that in the fall, then spent a couple of weeks roaming around Maine and Vermont before coming back. I've been jealous for thirty years!

Thanks for sharing.
    We too, enjoyed Vancouver but were disappointed that so much smoke hindered the scenery viewing.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

That looks like a wonderful trip Michael!

Darn it Mike, I know you came out to spend quality time with your daughter. I wish I had known you were coming. We could have hooked up for a beverage or two in Nanaimo. Glad you had a good time.

Wow, great pictures!! it looks nice. Thanks for sharing with us..