Page 1184 of 1223 FirstFirst ... 1846841084113411741183118411851194 ... LastLast
Results 41,406 to 41,440 of 42792

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Good luck to whoever "bought" the Ventura! I hope the price was extremely low. She was pretty much a wreck when dad had his boat at the SBC 40 odd years ago. I'm extremely surprised she's still floating. If I remember rightly she had a new back end put on her at some stage.

No luck with the dinghy on our berth?

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Moved WB to the Tweed Marina just to be safe. Looks like the carnage has started well before Linda s arrival. SV Jazz sitting up on the beach she is the one that damaged WB during Cyclone Debbie last year.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    It was aground but upright on Saturday.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Just give up Choo Choo Bars.

Rick
    Took me a second or two there. My brother was known as the Choo Choo Bar Kid, best six pence you could spend.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Good luck to whoever "bought" the Ventura! I hope the price was extremely low. She was pretty much a wreck when dad had his boat at the SBC 40 odd years ago. I'm extremely surprised she's still floating. If I remember rightly she had a new back end put on her at some stage.

No luck with the dinghy on our berth?
    Ventura seems damaged all along the hull-deck join, and needs obvious work. I had a quick walk through below decks and she seemed dry enough from the little I could see, with no dead-boat smell. But where would you start? There is so much to do. I fear that if she comes out of the water she'll break, and if not she'll ultimately sink.

I spoke to the lovely landlady about the dinghy at the dock. Our expectations of its cash value differ enough that I won't risk upsetting her with an offer. Having run a tape over Arawana I am looking for a small dink and there aren't that many like that for sale. Well, there are a couple of nice ones in Tassie but that defeats the need. It should be no longer than 2.1 metres and no wider than 1.2, and be able to carry two pirates and some groceries. It needs to be light enough to be handled up onto the foredeck for travelling.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

From the photos I’d say recovering that boat would make my effort seem like a walk in the park.

Don't walk away, run!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That's a pretty tiny dinghy you are looking for. Maybe an old Holdie?

That's a pretty tiny dinghy you are looking for. Maybe an old Holdie?
    How big is the dinghy slung on the stern or Balia? I thought the one I'm looking for looks just like yours. If not, I'll have to recalibrate.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    How big is the dinghy slung on the stern or Balia? I thought the one I'm looking for looks just like yours. If not, I'll have to recalibrate.
    Not sure, I'd guess a bit more than 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Great story Peter
    We have one very similar story at our school. Nathan recycled bottles and cans for most of last year until WHS stepped in and Admin forked out some money for abour 20 recycle bins.

Not sure, I'd guess a bit more than 2.1
    Well it looks the right size from the distance of the dock. I should check it then we'd both know. I should measure it with a tape, then try rowing it with two people on board and some groceries, and then see if it fits my foredeck. I promise I'll give it back

Sent from a phone.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Well it looks the right size from the distance of the dock. I should check it then we'd both know. I should measure it with a tape, then try rowing it with two people on board and some groceries, and then see if it fits my foredeck. I promise I'll give it back

Sent from a phone.
    Go for it.

Screw the bung into the hole in the keel, from inside, before you put it in the water.

Take the bung out again when finished, it's supposed to rain this weekend.

Oars are in the aft cabin.

Thanks. I might just climb up and measure it at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

I combined work and boats today.
    I'm in Auckland (briefly) for a client and managed to coincide with the VOR activities underway here.
    Lunchtime I escaped to the VOR race village, spent a bit of time perving at the superyachts here and being gobsmacked at the spending involved. There was this monster blue-hulled sloop called Janice of Montana. Who'd have thought Montanians were into sailing? It did have a bucking horse on the transom...
    Anyway, sailing involved a couple of short races in M32 cats. Not a lot of wind but fast and a lot of fun even if I had to look silly in a crash-hat that was only required for OHandbloodyS compliance.
    Unable to take photos as my hands always seemed to be full - either raising or lowering dagger boards, pulling on a mainsheet or part furlling the asymmetric in tacks. So you'll just have to believe me.
    And then had to drink cold Peronis afterwards.
    I call it advanced customer support 😁
    A good day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Weekend on the boat though most of it will be taken up by Marine Rescue. Ill at least get the fuel tank hooked up and be able to start the outboard. Should get a start on primering under the cockpit.

I just changed the blades on the mower and now remember why I hate that job . Almost immovable nuts in the most difficult place to get at !

Thankfully I recently bought a few metric ratchet ring spanners . A great investment . I got them from the Reject Shop, $20 for 5. Ridiculously cheap and very good too. Keep an eye out there. They haven't had them since ...I know I look every week.
    Grateful Dead

Always fun. Our place was very rough on mowers the first few years we were here, rocks and bits of metal and god knows what. Many blades changed!

Always fun. Our place was very rough on mowers the first few years we were here, rocks and bits of metal and god knows what. Many blades changed!
    Like Duncan, he's pretty rough on mowers.
    ( how is he, anyone heard?)
    Last edited by John B; 03-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Thats a great event , really well run. Last one we did was 2016 and then maybe 13 or 14 and 2011 I think. Every 2 or 3 years we get up there. Quite a few back in the day in Waione too.

all colregs no protests, do not prang, big party after.

Heyyy....20180316_153633.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I combined work and boats today.
    I'm in Auckland (briefly) for a client and managed to coincide with the VOR activities underway here.
    Lunchtime I escaped to the VOR race village, spent a bit of time perving at the superyachts here and being gobsmacked at the spending involved. There was this monster blue-hulled sloop called Janice of Montana. Who'd have thought Montanians were into sailing? It did have a bucking horse on the transom...
    Anyway, sailing involved a couple of short races in M32 cats. Not a lot of wind but fast and a lot of fun even if I had to look silly in a crash-hat that was only required for OHandbloodyS compliance.
    Unable to take photos as my hands always seemed to be full - either raising or lowering dagger boards, pulling on a mainsheet or part furlling the asymmetric in tacks. So you'll just have to believe me.
    And then had to drink cold Peronis afterwards.
    I call it advanced customer support 
    A good day.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    If you get over the southern side of the viaduct , Chris , you can see all the Tino rawa trust boats plus Arcturus. Then over in the Silo park are the Classic yacht trust boats plus privateers. Big Thelma and Prize , Moana. Maritime museum , Waitangi and Breeze. plus the balance of the Classic trust boats . Gloriana and Frances.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Like Duncan, he's pretty rough on mowers.
    ( how is he, anyone heard?)
    Hey there JB! I'm okay! Still not here on the forum much, as I've really been concentrating on my business, as well as a bit of a last ditch effort to prevent some dissembling and idiotic vandals knocking down a rather nice mid-century modernist building in Armidale; Robb College. The NSW Heritage Council recommended it be listed on the State Heritage Register (I note that a similar era and design, St Catherine's in Oxford has grade 1 listing) but various politicians have sat on their arses and not done their job. It seems a lost cause, but it ain't over until we win, or the buildings are gone.

Anyway... Busy! Very busy. Leg, back and ribs healing but the pain, swelling and bruising still hanging around, but not as bad. Better every day I yam!

On another very sad note some of you will know Simon Hill from various interactions over the years. Tom and I, and Peter in particular are good friends of Simon. He rang me just before with the news that his wife and mother to his two beautiful smart daughters passed away on Wednesday after a two year battle with breast cancer. She was younger than I.

It's fecking awful news, and I'm quite upset, as Becky was such a live wire. If I didn't get Simon on the phone she and I would easily yack on for an hour before she'd hand the phone over. Such an unfair loss! I'm attending a wake on the 25th.

Wish I could drop in here with happier news.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thats awful news . None of us know what is around a corner eh.

I'm glad my poor taste humour got you back though. Best wishes, speedy recovery of whats left to fix.

Poor taste of humour? Nah! Don’t cut yourself up over it!
    As for life’s corners, I learnt that lesson last year! So at some stage over the next year I’ll be inviting myself over for an extra dose of your humour and some quality sailing time with you. I have an old uni friend who is a landscape architect there and she was responsible for much of the waterfront’s landscape revamp.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

It's raining. For the first time in around 15 or so years I'm sitting in the family room not waiting for the rain to start dripping in on me. We are somewhere in the middle of this:

rain-20180316.jpg
    Paperback E-book

I yam at the dentist hoping my tarps are doing their job. Don’t want any more ceiling work than necessary.

Do not want. Bloody apostrophe ban got me again.

Very, very sorry to hear your news of Simon's wife Duncan! Please pass on our condolences to Simon and family.

Rick

I don’t suppose anyone here has a copy of the Bill Belcher wind-vane self-steering book I could buy or borrow???

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Hey there JB! I'm okay! Still not here on the forum much, as I've really been concentrating on my business, as well as a bit of a last ditch effort to prevent some dissembling and idiotic vandals knocking down a rather nice mid-century modernist building in Armidale; Robb College. The NSW Heritage Council recommended it be listed on the State Heritage Register (I note that a similar era and design, St Catherine's in Oxford has grade 1 listing) but various politicians have sat on their arses and not done their job. It seems a lost cause, but it ain't over until we win, or the buildings are gone.

Anyway... Busy! Very busy. Leg, back and ribs healing but the pain, swelling and bruising still hanging around, but not as bad. Better every day I yam!

On another very sad note some of you will know Simon Hill from various interactions over the years. Tom and I, and Peter in particular are good friends of Simon. He rang me just before with the news that his wife and mother to his two beautiful smart daughters passed away on Wednesday after a two year battle with breast cancer. She was younger than I.

It's fecking awful news, and I'm quite upset, as Becky was such a live wire. If I didn't get Simon on the phone she and I would easily yack on for an hour before she'd hand the phone over. Such an unfair loss! I'm attending a wake on the 25th.

Wish I could drop in here with happier news.

Very sorry to hear about Becky.

Paperback E-book