Page 1482 of 1485 FirstFirst ... 482982138214321472148114821483 ... LastLast
Results 51,836 to 51,870 of 51965

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Got my generator back today and the good news is it now runs the new table saw.
    As for the weather...what a miserable sodding day. At least it's not flooding.
    Tomorrow I complete another trip around the sun, it will be my 70th orbit.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Congratulations, HB!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Tom, we want photos and reports.
    I presume you are referring to our NZ trip.
    Due to Jetstar last minute rescheduling our flights we had to change our itinerary cutting short our trip to the Northland.

Anyhow we caught up with John B in KeriKeri enjoying his company and gracious hospitality, staying overnight in our Motorhome. His octagon shaped house enjoys stunning views and the sprawling property is full of surprises with direct ocean access for the panga an orchard and much more.
    He has done a remarkable job in transforming the undulating acreage into a little Shangri-La.
    Regrettably I did not get any pictures.
    The Stone store in KeriKeri adjacent to the basin the Mauri’s used to launch their war canoes from.
    Attachment 114329
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 07-04-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Looks like a little slice of England! How many tyre swans and tin animals did you see on the JB Estate? Did you employ a translator or were you able to communicate unaided? Did you attempt to convince JB to attend the next AWB Festival Feb 9-13 and, if so, were you successful?
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Rick

Looks like a little slice of England! How many tyre swans and tin animals did you see on the JB Estate? Did you employ a translator or were you able to communicate unaided? Did you attempt to convince JB to attend the next AWB Festival Feb 9-13 and, if so, were you successful?
    None of the above we hooted around the estate searching for his elusive owls and the even rarer Kiwi bird ,while admiring his recent plantation of native Kauri Pines. I may have been led up the garden path skilfully, possibly avoiding the secret Huon plantation which I’m certain is hiding somewhere.

Regrettably I did not take any photos of Johns YC located in his upstairs crows nest landing truely a pirates treasure cove.
    WBF in Hobart was not discussed, although I have this mad plan of carrying Jim aboard my Toyota Hilux if I can just get Nellie convinced.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 07-05-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Not a great week for sailing across the Tasman.
    Rick

Tom, what's a YC?
    Rick

Tom, what's a YC?
    The loft appropriately called the Yacht Club with 360 degree views and full of memorabilia race trophies ect.

Tom, what's a YC?
    We have this weird little mezzanine and use it to put boat stuff on the basis of not overwhelming the rest of the house with boat stuff, generally refer to it as the yacht club.( in a humorous way).
    Dint work, house got full of it anyway.

That was a fun catch up, I enjoyed that. Very short and sweet, you guys crammed in a lot in a few days..epic.
    Last edited by John B; 07-06-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Visiting NZ is still on my bucket list.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Buckets are very handy in New Wetland.

But hard to come by! When in Nelson, I looked everywhere for a couple of strongish buckets and I wanted different colours as one was for washing up in and bathing whilst the other was for, other things. All I could find were black and not very robust. A shameful shortage of buckets!
    Rick

I had an endless supply of buckets because I bought all my glue in pails , but I never had a bucket.
    I'd take 5 home at a time and whenever I thought I'd use one to do something like wash the car it'd turn out they were all full of dirt or garden clippings or sand. I think every household probably has a bucket getter and a bucket user.
    Visitor says " hey , I'd love a cutting of that monstera delisiosa". "No problem just take that bucket"

Thats why they're so hard to find, they get used up by bucket users who regard them as permanent loans and storage devices.
    No temporary bucket users allowed. The whole nation is like that, vast hoards of part filled of dirt buckets lining spaces beside the garage all up and down the country, no buckets for washing or 'other stuff'.

There's a black market in buckets. . " hey dude, I'll trade you 4 single use plastic bags for that bucket if you take the dirt out of it"
    The whole thing is pretty scary, don't get on the wrong side of the bucket cartel.
    Last edited by John B; 07-06-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Says it all really
    bucket sheep.jpg
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Yeah, I thought I must have inadvertently stumbled upon some deep-seated, probably ancient, Kiwi coloured bucket hoarding tradition. Even so, it probably would have faded from my memory if one Masina crew member hadn't been incapable of telling one black bucket from another at around midnight, or hadn't happened to mention it after breakfast.
    Rick

Buckets are great, and it's hard to have too many of them. Milk crates are in the same very useful category.

Of course the other problem with buckets is buckets that get put inside other buckets. Somehow they weld together, or seems that way anyway.
    Probably 30 % of bucket loss is down to welded together buckets.
    None of which comes anywhere near the Masina tragedy of mixed buckets though.

While not useful for 'other things', I have a very useful stack of yoghurt buckets. My vast collection of bigger buckets spend their lives scattered throughout the shed, quickly filling up with rubbish, mostly packaging or the leftovers from various fibreglass moulding endeavours. Quite a few are welded together and some are missing their handles. Most have been retrieved from building sites which are great sources of buckets, if you don't mind doing a bit of washing and scraping. I'm always amazed at what people throw out! Don't these people realise that every home needs at least several dozen buckets?
    Rick

Yoghurt buckets and ice cream containers are actually not really what you think.
    In actual fact they are epoxy mixing buckets with some pre use. As such they are to be banked for the boatwork frenzy period prior to the season. No other use is to be contemplated.. so it is written.

Only for slappers rather than dabbers. Fortunately I have an endless supply of Coles Organic Tomato tins for mixing epoxy. Mind you, I have a project on the horizon that will surely require slapping so I know my high stack of little buckets will rapidly diminish while my demand for big rubbish buckets will increase at a similar rate. Like one of those St Andrew's cross diagrams I remember from rare moments of consciousness in economics lectures.
    Rick

Yeah, I thought I must have inadvertently stumbled upon some deep-seated, probably ancient, Kiwi coloured bucket hoarding tradition. Even so, it probably would have faded from my memory if one Masina crew member hadn't been incapable of telling one black bucket from another at around midnight, or hadn't happened to mention it after breakfast.
    Might be a market opportunity there, target marked being the grey nomads relentlessly roaming the nation towing their caravans, millennials in their DIY converted camper vans and wooden boat owners who refuse to put a hole in the hull.............

colour code ie; a yellow and brown bucket for responding to the call of nature, blue bucket for breakfast dishes, black bucket for fishing........a diagnosis of OCD might help

Another way of solving the issue is to buy an expensive bucket. Easy come easy go as they say! We bought a heavy duty black rubber bucket for $30 3 years ago that refuses to break despite the mistreatment dished out. We still have it on the boat, lanyard attached, but we also had a head until this most recent chapter of refit saga.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Not a solution. A $30 bucket will succumb to globs of resin, glue, filler, sealant, grease, and everything that adheres to these foul substances, just as readily as a used Gyprock bucket from a skip.

But yes, based on my vast experience of the NZ bucket situation, I'm sure there's a market for multicoloured ones. Any prospective entrepreneur should be aware of the prevalence of Scottish heritage over there, though, so don't expect to sell too many $30 ones.
    Rick

And, if we were to invest in a $30 bucket, and use it for everything, what would we do with all the buckets rescued from building sites? And wouldn't this mean that when buying goop from Bunnings, we would need to take glasses to find out what the product is and does instead of quickly and simply assessing the quality of the bucket and deciding whether we actually have a use for the contents later?
    Rick

I prefer paint buckets and have assembled a good supply of Haymans Paints ,Australian manufactured and rated far superior and cheaper than Dulux .
    Below is a picture for John B of a recently planted Queensland Kauri I raised from a seedling
    09672E57-34AB-4DD3-93ED-CAD19FF074E4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Yoghurt buckets and ice cream containers are actually not really what you think.
    In actual fact they are epoxy mixing buckets with some pre use. As such they are to be banked for the boatwork frenzy period prior to the season. No other use is to be contemplated.. so it is written.
    For epoxy i was a big fan of the small single serve yoghurt containers. I mostly do small mixes anyway. For bigger quantities the wide square icecream containers are the go.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I prefer paint buckets and have assembled a good supply of Haymans Paints ,Australian manufactured and rated far superior and cheaper than Dulux .
    Below is a picture for John B of a recently planted Queensland Kauri I raised from a seedling
    09672E57-34AB-4DD3-93ED-CAD19FF074E4.jpg
    That's quite a slope you've planted it on!!
    Rick

Probably why the ground is so dry.
    How interesting, Q kauri looks nothing even remotely like NZ kauri , if I saw that here I'd think that leaf shape is more like a monkey apple/ Lilly pilly.
    I've been taking a few photos of the kauri we've planted but they just come out as a bunch of green on green leaves and sticks.
    I also was a hare away from snapping a pic of my bucket farm in the interval of not wet yesterday, but instead I jumped on my tractor and drove around at speed, shifted stuff and dug a hole. I didn't intend to dig a hole but sometimes if you get the bucket( it has a bucket coloured orange) wrong it kind of takes off. Like a divot on a golf course or from horses hooves .
    Buckets can be challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Says it all really
    bucket sheep.jpg
    What a dag.

Right I haven’t been able to work out how to change the angle of the dangle that seems to occur on some of my posts .

Me either. Annoying, isn't it?
    Rick

I have some kauri planks here that were grown locally. The timber is lighter than the NZ kauri and doesn't have quite the same texture. Obviously the mineral content differs greatly between NZ and local soil.

I had to get rid of most of the local kauri I had as it was riddled with borer. I'd been given it by a guy who'd milled the logs himself and stored it with other green timber. All the timber I got from him had borer so I don't think the kauri was particularly susceptible.
    Last edited by RFNK; 07-10-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    Rick

The forum dont do portrait. Take landscape photos ,you young modster types, and all will be well.
    On the few occasions my inner youth has caused me to take a portrait snap, rolling it nd savng it as landscape b4 posting sometimes werks.

In between weather fronts I made a trip out to the bucket farm, they seem to be doing well in the damp.
    20220711_105846.jpg

I planted on 45 years ago, it's now 90 foot or so and too big to get my arms around...oh and quite close to the house.