Page 1234 of 1234 FirstFirst ... 23473411341184122412331234
Results 43,156 to 43,173 of 43173

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

How long ago did 18 footers sport gaff topsails?
    I came on a postcard at a local market today. Steel engraving, 3 old style 18 footers under main, jib and topsail on a broad reach with a others and a double decker steam ferry in the background and a square rig poking out above a headland. Drawn from Pinchgut. Maker's mark HB in an artists palette.
    I'd estimate from the style and the medium, pre WW1, maybe pre 1900. Before night photography was reliable artists were employed to make sketches on the spot, work up a drawing and then engravers with hand gouges made a plate or a wood cut block. Sometimes a composite plate or block, the drawing was pasted down on a set of pre cut L shaped sections ands a team of hand engravers set to wok. After the whole was reassembled and printed from.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    There's not many carpenters left
    I doubt it any of the guys I worked with in the seventies ever built a spiral staircase ,but then again I leaned to swing a framing hammer prior to the widespread use of nail guns. Boy did we have some crazy fun with those.

Oh Bugger, shed envy and excavator envy at the same time !
    The MIG is impressive but I always worry about the gas bill.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    How long ago did 18 footers sport gaff topsails?
    I came on a postcard at a local market today. Steel engraving, 3 old style 18 footers under main, jib and topsail on a broad reach with a others and a double decker steam ferry in the background and a square rig poking out above a headland. Drawn from Pinchgut. Maker's mark HB in an artists palette.
    I'd estimate from the style and the medium, pre WW1, maybe pre 1900. Before night photography was reliable artists were employed to make sketches on the spot, work up a drawing and then engravers with hand gouges made a plate or a wood cut block. Sometimes a composite plate or block, the drawing was pasted down on a set of pre cut L shaped sections ands a team of hand engravers set to wok. After the whole was reassembled and printed from.
    Did they ever acid etch through a resist Jeff ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Oh Bugger, shed envy and excavator envy at the same time !
    The MIG is impressive but I always worry about the gas bill.
    At least it only needs one type of gas.

But that type isn't cheap!
    Grateful Dead

I dunno johnno, make quite a reasonable mooring filled with concrete…………...
    Thankfully no drink in my hand.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Did they ever acid etch through a resist Jeff ?
    Yes, photo engraving and etching. Zinc, a fish based resist and sulphuric acid. There was also copper plate engraving, positively toxic but when 20 quid a week was a good tradies wage those bloke earned 50+. Killed 'em early though. I started as an etcher and thought better of it. Good decision.
    This card is a reduction of a bigger steel engraving printed by lithography but by the backing style it's old. Trying to trace the trade mark.

Re gas. He only welds once in a while. It will be the bottle hire that adds up

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    I doubt it any of the guys I worked with in the seventies ever built a spiral staircase ,but then again I leaned to swing a framing hammer prior to the widespread use of nail guns. Boy did we have some crazy fun with those.
    Yeah.. it's more a joinery thing I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Re gas. He only welds once in a while. It will be the bottle hire that adds up
    Apparently these days Bunnos does a thing where there is a deposit on the bottle, but no hire fee. So that side of it should work out OK.

Yes, photo engraving and etching. Zinc, a fish based resist and sulphuric acid. There was also copper plate engraving, positively toxic but when 20 quid a week was a good tradies wage those bloke earned 50+. Killed 'em early though. I started as an etcher and thought better of it. Good decision.
    This card is a reduction of a bigger steel engraving printed by lithography but by the backing style it's old. Trying to trace the trade mark.
    Was there supposed to be a photo with this Jeff?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I believe I may have passed another inmate on the Bells Line of Road yesterday. Pointy-nosed guy driving one of these

Then again... it might not have been him. I didn't chase him down.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Was there supposed to be a photo with this Jeff?
    No.

The etching reaction would give off hydrogen but what was the poisonous output? My chemistry is almost non existent . Zinc sulphide ? How did it poison workers ?
    Grateful Dead

The copper etch was the problem, Ferric Chloride I think. No one wore gloves or breathers and worked very close to the piece with watch glass eye pieces a deal of the time. 12 hour days for some of them as there were very few. And then, more or less overnight, it stopped. Yellow skin, coughing, a cumulative effect not helped by smoking.
    Here…..https://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0532.pdf
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-22-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Nasty! and likely quick path to emphysema .
    Grateful Dead

One from FB.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem