Page 1090 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 905909901040108010891090
Results 38,116 to 38,147 of 38147

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

That looks so good Greg.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Non screw top.

You should be fine on those bars this week Gary. No real wind coming through til Thursday night and no swell til Friday.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Non screw top.
    hence the strategically dropped bikini girl souvenir bottle opener
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You should be fine on those bars this week Gary. No real wind coming through til Thursday night and no swell til Friday.

Rick
    The Tweed bar has been quite ugly lately and I have to admit it been worrying me. However this morning I looked at the bar cam and it was fine. ..deep sigh of relief.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The Tweed bar has been quite ugly lately and I have to admit it been worrying me. However this morning I looked at the bar cam and it was fine. ..deep sigh of relief.
    The day the Tweed Bar doesn't concern you you'll need to have a good talk with yourself in the mirror.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    The day the Tweed Bar doesn't concern you you'll need to have a good talk with yourself in the mirror.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    I'm talking comparatives here, I never trust it. I've done maybe two hundred plus crossings in MR boats and I've seen it in states ranging from dead flat to too rough(as in hanging on) to be scared.

John Welsford

Redwing is almost packed and ready to go.

John Welsford

Forgive my ignorance, but are you North of Bruce or South? Going to cross paths like ships in the night?

Forgive my ignorance, but are you North of Bruce or South? Going to cross paths like ships in the night?
    I'm north, I'm going where he started from...Boatworks.

John Welsford

A company in town has been letting us store all the event stuff in a shipping container for free which has been very generous of them. Kerry gets a phone call on Saturday saying she has to have it all out by Monday! Talk about short notice! Tried to get hold of a large ute that we would normally borrow but no go. Kez has told them I'm away for two weeks.
    Last edited by WX; 06-25-2017 at 12:23 AM.

John Welsford

A company in town has been letting us store all the event stuff in a shipping container for free which has been very generous of them. Kerry gets a phone call on Saturday saying she has to have it all out by Monday! Talk about short notice! Tried to get hold of a large ute that we would normally borrow but no go. Kez has told them I'm away for two weeks.
    well that’s just rude!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

As of tomorrow I will have limited internet, as in not being able to post photos. So I can post updates here or do what Bruce has done and start a new thread, what do people think?

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    well that’s just rude!!!
    I agree.

John Welsford

As of tomorrow I will have limited internet, as in not being able to post photos. So I can post updates here or do what Bruce has done and start a new thread, what do people think?
    Start a new thread - Yanks don’t look in here but may be interested if they see it as s stand alone trip
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Start a new thread - Yanks don’t look in here but may be interested if they see it as s stand alone trip
    Okay. Southport, take two!

John Welsford

Soo00....... biggest disappointment about Honolulu and Waikiki? - last night we found a steak restaurant/bar called Chucks - down a flight of stairs off the footpath, out of the tourist zone, dark, lots of atmosphere, Jazz band, terrific food....... they charged $12.00 () for a Dalmore (Single Malt)......but the bloke served up about 4 shots for that price, kinda like a vegemite jar full of Dalmore....!!!!

So, (based on that experience) we went back with the outlaws tonight for a nightcap (after a superb teppanyaki dinner for Kate’s birthday next door), found a wonderful two piece band playing soul and easy listening music.......and would you know it? $18.00 for an 18 year old Macallan..................expensive??? This barman (same as last night, Juda) must have had an engine block tied to his fist....I reckon I must have polished off half the bottle in two drinks............just as well it is such a superb drop.

So my regret? We/ve taken all week to discover this place and we leave tomorrow.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Sounds like the place for a good shot of single malt Greg.

John Welsford

Whisky's a gone gone

Rick

Started a new thread and long rave, then lost the lot when the laptop shutdown....grrr.

John Welsford

A few weeks ago, we sold our wee 1976 Crusader caravan and took a leap thirty years into the future, as Suzanne decided she wanted something with a toilet. We picked up an English 2006 model for the price of a nice small yacht, and I've spent the last couple of weekends grovelling underneath rearranging the waste water plumbing, with a view to getting it certified "self contained". I thought I'd done enough caravan grovelling rust killing the old one - apparently not.
    The self contained thing is quite a big deal this side of the ditch, and lets you access loads of small semi-private camping grounds.
    This thing is disturbingly boat-like, from a "systems" point of view. The old one had a fresh water hand pump, gas hob, and three way fridge, nothing else. The new one has all that, and adds a house battery, ducted gas/electric heating, pumped hot and cold water, gas/electric water heating, a usable shower - if ur v quick, actual insulation, and the requisite loo. Being a $hitty job, emptying it is my responsibility - how did that happen?
    Anyways, it actually tows much better than the old one, and going Nelson to Christchurch via the Lewis Pass (real mountains ;-) ), the diesel Hyundai proved to be a far better tow vehicle than the wallowy gas-pig V6 Camry was. About $55 for 440km, towing something with the aerodynamics of a brick, over the mountains. That wouldn't have got us half way in the Camry.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Note Pete includes the words 'yacht' and 'boat' in this post, thus balancing out my ire at his rubbishing my beloved V6 Camry (that I've been wanting to replace with a ute for the last 5 years but can't get SWMBO's permission for).

That Lewis Pass is very nice.

Rick

Started a new thread and long rave, then lost the lot when the laptop shutdown....grrr.
    Hmm. Linux?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Note Pete includes the words 'yacht' and 'boat' in this post, thus balancing out my ire at his rubbishing my beloved V6 Camry (that I've been wanting to replace with a ute for the last 5 years but can't get SWMBO's permission for).

That Lewis Pass is very nice.

Rick
    LOL, we had our Camry for a week shy of ten years, and it never missed a beat, and didn't use a drop of oil. But it was twenty years old, drunk gas lke we had shares in OPEC, and the handling was.....lets just say squishy. In fact, it wallowed like a galleon on a stormy sea. SWMBO was insisting I get rid of it!
    The Lewis is a nice drive, but is carrying virtually all the north-south road freight, as the Kaikoura coast road and rail are still being cleared of slips from that 7.2 quake late last year. They had so many truck roll-overs that the speed limit has been dropped to 80k through all the twisty bits. The coast road is supposed to be open again by Christmas this year. That is a nice drive too.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Hmm. Linux?
    No, crappy battery.

John Welsford

Gary, new thread. Greg, you can always go back. Pete, sounds like a good step up in car and van. One of my sons has just bought himself a 4wd ute with a v6 petrol engine in it. Mitsubishi Triton I think. fair to say we were both shocked at the fuel consumption. It does worse than my Holden which is a 5.7 litre V8 all wheel drive station wagon. Fortunately it's on gas which brings actual cost down to surviveable.

That does sound like my beloved Camry .....

Rick

Now looking for a 5- 10 year old diesel hatchback for Felicity. Maybe a Golf or a Ford Focus.

Now looking for a 5- 10 year old diesel hatchback for Felicity. Maybe a Golf or a Ford Focus.
    I got my wife a 3 year old Merc B200 CDI in January. Excellent little vehicle and waay less thirsty than its predecessor E320. Can still carry a dinghy on the racks.
    One of the buying decisions was age and ease of access - as we slip further into decreptitude it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of. But I'm figuring youre not quite at that stage yet.

Nice. Not looking to spend much more than about $5000.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    I got my wife a 3 year old Merc B200 CDI in January. Excellent little vehicle and waay less thirsty than its predecessor E320. Can still carry a dinghy on the racks.
    One of the buying decisions was age and ease of access - as we slip further into decreptitude it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of. But I'm figuring youre not quite at that stage yet.
    My dad, at 90 and flush after an excellent harvest bought a 240Z, (Yeh, I know but he built and raced GP cars in his youth). That was his beef, getting out.

I just bought a Ford Focus diesel on grays online. $4500. 120000 km I the clock 2008. Pickup tomorrow. Had. Frustrating morning where simple jobs take 5 times longer than they should. One step forward 3 back. Down on Balia this afternoon doing a few small jobs. Very productive and relaxing. The mid afternoon nap went particularly well.