Page 1345 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 345845124512951335134413451346 ... LastLast
Results 47,041 to 47,075 of 47194

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I've a variable speed disk sander which is grouse. Disk sander on a angle grinder is another beast which I haven't mastered

Okey dokey. Might try a bit of heat and a scraper or chisel. Might try my trusty angle grinder, maybe 80 grit rather than my usual 24. Of course this is all done kneeling on the deck, hanging over the side. No toe rails, no fence. Nothing much. Except where I can do it from the marina berth, which is nice.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

You may even be able to just heat the chisel and not directly on the boat?? You will soon find out if it works

I often use just flat discs rather than flappers. With flat discs, as long as the nut doesn't protrude, you can sand with the disc flat on the surface and avoid any dig-ins. It's easy with a small grinder. You often have to cut little slots from the hole in the disc to get it to lay flat.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    You may even be able to just heat the chisel and not directly on the boat?? You will soon find out if it works
    Might be worth a try

Last edited by Phil Y; 04-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I often use just flat discs rather than flappers. With flat discs, as long as the nut doesn't protrude, you can sand with the disc flat on the surface and avoid any dig-ins. It's easy with a small grinder. You often have to cut little slots from the hole in the disc to get it to lay flat.

Rick
    I pretty much always use flat discs. I have a fitting which has a flat "nut," and a slightly flexible rubber backing. Only thought I'd try a flapper because Gary suggested it. Yesterday I was using the random orbital because it seemed like the best tool to lightly scuff large flat areas, and because I could attach a vacuum cleaner and put very little dust in the water and the neighbours boat.

If the RO sander is getting the runs off then that'd have to be the best one to use. And you can use 40 or 60 grit because the high-build primer will fill the rougher sanding. It won't fill dig-ins or repair flat spots.

At home, I'd use the grinder. On the water, the RO for sure.

Rick

If the RO sander is getting the runs off then that'd have to be the best one to use. And you can use 40 or 60 grit because the high-build primer will fill the rougher sanding. It won't fill dig-ins or repair flat spots.

At home, I'd use the grinder. On the water, the RO for sure.

Rick
    I think 80 might have been the coarsest I could find in Bunnings. Not sure now. I just may get down to the boat later today, and will help Mr Bunning with his turnover on the way. Not entirely sure my arms and back are up for it.

Today I mainly have a final tidy up of a property I manage before the owners arrive for their annual family holiday. It's quite the performance. Lovely 50 acre place near us. Huge lawn, lots of garden beds, lots of rural plumbing always requiring attention, 10 or so cows, 30 odd sheep, some chickens and a veggie patch.

If that goes well, then I get to do some more sanding as a reward. Also patch a few small spots where the glass cloth was raised up from the deck. About 20c piece size. I've sanded those out, just need to put some glass and epoxy in, let it go off and sand it before the paint goes on.

Thanks team for the wise counsel against sloth. I got me some 40 grit discs for the random orbital and cleaned up those runs quick smart. Fresh discs, fresh arms and a fresh day, easy done. You can still see where the runs were but it feels reaonably smooth. Patched the 4 or 5 spots that needed patching. Not sure of my method on that. I've left the edges of the new glass unstuck so I can just feather old into new with the loose stuff flying away in the sanding process. I saw a proper boatbuilder do it like this, so it should work. I added some peel ply because I had some and I like the stuff. Painting tomorrow. Woo Hoo. After that I'm going to get drunk.

Superb! :-D

Looks good Phil.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

Thanks, hopefully even better tomorrow. Perfect weather forecast now, 23 and slightly cloudy. I knew the rain forecast was just a joke.

Well, not a total success today. The Pengaurd went onto glass which had not had peel ply on it quite well, but where I had used peel ply, tended to settle with lots and lots of pinholes in the texture left by the peel ply. I was able to get rid of most of the pinholes by putting the paint on extra thick. Maybe they still lurk underneath. The worst of it though is that I always measure out epoxy by weight. This stuff is 4 to 1. So I did batches of 800 part A, 200 Part B. Problem is I got to the end with a lot if part A leftover. So I got to thinking. Part A must contain a whole lot of lightweight easily sanded solids. But then that would use more volume for a given weight. So I'm buggered if I know. Maybe it contains lead. And I didn't end up with enough paint to finish the job. Come Monday I'll see if the local distributor will sell me some Part B to mix with my Part A. Otherwise just buy more of both. The paint seems to be hardening off OK, so I don't think I have to get it all off and start again. It looks about as good as a first coat of undercoat over a dark base usually looks.

Looks amazing! Don't go reinstalling all that hardware. Keep the decks nice and clear. ;-D

Did you check the Penguard ratio by weight is the same as by volume?

Botecote epoxy (the only one I've used) mixes 2:1 by volume but the parts are different densities so it's 100:44 by weight.

No I didn't. Obviously. Even though I know to do so.

Definitely don't mix Penguard by weight! Mix the white part, Part A really well as it has all the solids in it that make it a high-build primer. Sand the first coat to get rid of bumps.

Have you ever used shadow coat? It's a black or get paint or dust that you spread or spray over areas you want smooth. You sand it off until you can only see white primer. The shadow coat exposed any hollows so when it's gone, you know you've got a flat, smooth finish.

I'm a bit surprised about the pinholes - what sort of roller are you using?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    No I didn't. Obviously. Even though I know to do so.
    Yes. It was obvious. Sorry. I didn't read properly.

Well it looks great from Largs North. I'm tempted to go have a decko but I'm a bit bushed after driving up to the bush to rescue some bees that had all fallen over all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Definitely don't mix Penguard by weight! Mix the white part, Part A really well as it has all the solids in it that make it a high-build primer. Sand the first coat to get rid of bumps.

Have you ever used shadow coat? It's a black or get paint or dust that you spread or spray over areas you want smooth. You sand it off until you can only see white primer. The shadow coat exposed any hollows so when it's gone, you know you've got a flat, smooth finish.

I'm a bit surprised about the pinholes - what sort of roller are you using?

Rick
    I did at least mix the A well. The data sheet or website or somewhere talks about pinholes being a problem when rejuvenating old fibreglass, but as this is new I was a bit surprised. No I haven't tried magic fairy dust. Just not that much of a perfectionist.

Using a Bunnings gloss microfiber roller. It did well with epoxy. I will sand the first coat and go again.

I'm sure it's all good.

Nearly drinking time even though I didn't get the whole deck done.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Looks amazing! Don't go reinstalling all that hardware. Keep the decks nice and clear. ;-D

Did you check the Penguard ratio by weight is the same as by volume?

Botecote epoxy (the only one I've used) mixes 2:1 by volume but the parts are different densities so it's 100:44 by weight.
    Yeah the deck looks huge all white and bare. I reckon I might put a tennis court on it.

Billiards! What could go wrong.....

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Billiards! What could go wrong.....
    You'd need a lot of balls.

You'd need a lot of balls.

I couldn't even keep a screwdriver on mine.
    To do something pleasant
    with no
    Because.

Sailing all day today in dodgy wind shifts that only settled around 5pm. Lost the pin that holds the boom to the mast, capsized but got it up and was towed to the beach……. where I found an old piece of drift wood with a rusty nail and resumed sailing.

Rusty Nail. I'm sure that's an old yacht club drink. Rum and something.

Drambuie and Scotch. No sailing after that.

Drambuie and Scotch. No sailing after that.

Enjoy you’ve earned it.

Are you saying to sand all the dimples out of te first coat of primer Rick?
    I got the first coat on the Comet today. Trying to get it painted before winter.
    It makes since so as to get an even adhesion. I've used the black spray method before.
    new rub rails as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been using penguard for at least 20 years, and in that time screwed up the ratios somewhat on some occasions. Never had any issues with the paint though so it must be quite tolerant of the ratio being dodge. On my new boat I measured with a notched stick. In my case the stick was notched every 5 mm, so it is easy to add 4 notches of base and 1 of hardener, or 8 of base and 2 of hardener, or whatever. The advantage of the notch is they are still visible even when covered with paint, so no need to re mark the stick for every batch.

Good plan. My mixing pots are slightly tapered, but I don't see that mattering.

Are you saying to sand all the dimples out of te first coat of primer Rick?
    I got the first coat on the Comet today. Trying to get it painted before winter.
    It makes since so as to get an even adhesion. I've used the black spray method before.
    new rub rails as well.
    The main thing to sand off the first coat is any high spots as the second coat just compounds them.

I use 3M shadow coat. It makes sanding primer a lot easier as it provides a good visual guide. Rubbing shadow coat onto any paint job takes less than a minute usually.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Your a real treasure being here. Like a boat maintenance rep for everything!!!
    I really appreciate it.

Aw shucks! I just pass on what actually knowledgeable friends have shown me and hope it's helpful.

This morning I'm off to the cable shop to buy battery cable so I can start rewiring Masina tomorrow. I quite like wiring. First job once I get to the boat is to put one more coat of Awlgrip on the front end of the cockpit.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Your a real treasure being here. Like a boat maintenance rep for everything!!!
    I really appreciate it.
    What he said.

Aw shucks! I just pass on what actually knowledgeable friends have shown me and hope it's helpful.

This morning I'm off to the cable shop to buy battery cable so I can start rewiring Masina tomorrow. I quite like wiring. First job once I get to the boat is to put one more coat of Awlgrip on the front end of the cockpit.

Rick
    Good luck. I reckon electricians have very high level OCD. Nicely laid electrical wiring is like beautiful sculpture.