• Show
Clear All
  • gypsie
    NSW Australia
    • Jun 2010

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Whats that bronze (?) wheel?
    Winch for the center board?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• Hallam
      • Feb 2012

Began work on re doing the cabin fitout over the last two days. Pulled the lining off the port side bunk and removed the cabinet for the head. That opens up the forward starboard side of the cabin. Still thinking about the final layout but I think a folding seat will go there with shelving for my little boat library. The wood heater will go on the port side. First job after The disassembly will be the new cabin sole of spotted gum floorboards. My brother in Tass just picked up two ton of Blackwood so some of that will be the paneling for the bunk sides and bulkheads This gives good access to the old stainless steel chain plates so I’m looking for some new bronze ones. I’ll need 4 for my new gaff rig that will be going up in a few months time. The mast and blocks are ready. Got to do some work on the boom as well. Will put a few picks up later tonight
      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
      Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• Phil Y
        Banned
        • Apr 2010

Sounds like good progress. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your interior. I think the only interior work we have planned is a decent double berth in the aft cabin. I reckon our boat was built for 6 or 7 blokes to go sailing.

I'm starting to think painting the deck was just a warm up for painting it's underside, which Felicity wisely suggested I get onto before I start with deck fittings. Masking up the deck beams.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• skuthorp
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Phil Y
          I can pick it up for you Jeff. Not sure when I can deliver but we drive to Melbourne for one reason or another every now and then.

I saw it a few days ago and wondered if it's a Cadet. Used to be a few racing at Largs.

I am in contact with the owner Phil. The boat is in a factory at Hendon.
          I have asked if he has the rig, rudder, centreboard etc.
          I have not asked about rot etc as it looks like fair wear and tear from the pics. They were commonly built of either Huon Pine or Queensland Maple.

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

I can go have a look if you like. It's in a paint shop on a route I can take to the boat. One of the pics suggested a somewhat tenuous relationship between some of the planks and the stem I thought. Just bear in mind I'm ignorant lazy foolish half blind and totally feckless. And inclined to baloney.

Comment

• skuthorp
              • Jan 2002

That would be terrific Phil, I looked at one last year that had totally separated from it's transom, and was on an unsuitable and untowable trailer that was the only thing holding it together. He wanted $700. Queensland Maple firewood.

Comment

• auscruisertom
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by skuthorp
                If i could get it picked up I'd buy it.
                Your not the only one, how come most of the really great boats are always down your way?

Comment

• Hallam
                  • Feb 2012

This is how she was before i got started.....the semi bulkhead to port is chipboard and on the way out and I want to open up the cabin and put the head in the forepeak under the hatch. The flooring is baltic pine and has had its day and i want to clean, sand and repaint the inside hull. The bunk top is lined with baltic flooring and as i lifted them, some have borers in so they have to go. The borers havn't migrated to the bunk frames. The inclinometer came from one of the Japanese midget subs in Sydney. Harbour.

Last edited by Hallam; 07-08-2019, 06:35 AM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
                  Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• Hallam
                    • Feb 2012

SSo lots of work ahead. She's still on the mooring so will be doing some sanding and prepping the interior before haul out in 4 weeks time. Its also easier to see where there where a few leaks, .......chain plates, and where the deck needs re sealing.

Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• WX
                      Uki NSW Australia
                      • Feb 2002

Well, that was fun, got the stitches in my eye taken out today. Don't move she said, I have something sharp in my hand.
                      Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Phil Y
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2010

Looks nice Hallam. Chipboard. Who uses chipboard in a boat fitout? It will be nice to get all that sorted.

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

Great project Hallam!

Rick
                          Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• WX
                            Uki NSW Australia
                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Phil Y
                            Looks nice Hallam. Chipboard. Who uses chipboard in a boat fitout? It will be nice to get all that sorted.

I still can’t understand why it’s used in kitchens and bathrooms.
                            Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• Hallam
                              • Feb 2012

Yes it’s definitely not an option. The existing fitouut is not to the standard of the original build.Chipboard...!!! What where they thinking......how dare they!!! It had a nice veneer!

Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• Alex1N
                                Senor Membier
                                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by RFNK
                                We used to live at Smiths Lake. Smiths Lake would be another really good option for The Haul.

Rick
                                I would second that too! Lovely spot. Myall Lakes would be good though, too.

Alex.
                                You can never have too many clamps
                                —————————————————————————————-
                                “…the builder must find a proper place to make a full-sized drawing of the plan marked "lines." It is this stage of building that is so often neglected, and this is the most common cause of trouble later on.” - Howard I. Chappelle, Boatbuilding. Introduction, p.19. My emphasis.

Comment

Working...