Page 1261 of 1261 FirstFirst ... 26176111611211125112601261
Results 44,101 to 44,129 of 44129

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

  1. #44101
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    72,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Of course. But they'd be wrong. Chris has done the research. Quite thoroughly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fishermen seem to be always flipping their tinnies, the ones with life jackets are still alive bobbing around when Marine Rescue get there, the ones without are dead.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  2. #44102
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Fishermen seem to be always flipping their tinnies, the ones with life jackets are still alive bobbing around when Marine Rescue get there, the ones without are dead.


    Now do your homework. Amongst nystagmus fishermen in tinnies, which is more likely to tip over, those wearing life jackets, or those who are not?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #44103
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,304

    Default

    I have no idea what a nystagmus fisherman is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #44104
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,260

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Now do your homework. Amongst nystagmus fishermen in tinnies, which is more likely to tip over, those wearing life jackets, or those who are not?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What strange question, why would an inflatable PFD cause a boat to capsize?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  5. #44105
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think I'd smell worse if I was dead.
    It's well known that dead people have no sense of smell. Quite fortunately, I suspect.

    Rick

  6. #44106
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have no idea what a nystagmus fisherman is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    People who fish for nystagmuses, presumably. Anyone would know that.

    Rick

  7. #44107
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    72,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I have no idea what a nystagmus fisherman is.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nystagmus is a condition of involuntary (or voluntary, in rare cases) eye movement, acquired in infancy or later in life, that may result in reduced or limited vision. Due to the involuntary movement of the eye, it has been called "dancing eyes".
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  8. #44108
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I also suspect that nystagmus fishermen might be too small a sample from which to extrapolate the merits or otherwise of PFDs. I, for example, have never even met one and I've never seen any nystagmuses at our local co-op. Maybe the nystagmuses fishermen all drowned? Or perhaps it was decided that the whole idea wouldn't float?

    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-25-2018 at 06:43 AM.

  9. #44109
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Nystagmus is a condition of involuntary (or voluntary, in rare cases) eye movement, acquired in infancy or later in life, that may result in reduced or limited vision. Due to the involuntary movement of the eye, it has been called "dancing eyes".
    So, who would want to go fishing for those?

    Rick

  10. #44110
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    What strange question, why would an inflatable PFD cause a boat to capsize?
    Surprise!

    Rick

  11. #44111
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,260

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    This has all gotten a bit surreal.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  12. #44112
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Northern NSW Australia
    Posts
    72,047

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    They all just funnin' Gary.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

  13. #44113
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,304

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    What strange question, why would an inflatable PFD cause a boat to capsize?
    Well that's exactly the point. As I understand it, any research which goes beyond the knee jerk "He drowned, should a gone to life savers" actually tends to find that a whole lot of lowest common demominator passive "safety" equipment generates a false sense of security, a disregard for safe behaviour, and accordingly more incidents. So people wearing life jackets tend to do stupid things, which includes tipping their boats over more frequently than people who don't, because people who don't are more conscious of the consequences. To paraphrase, she's right mate, got the life jackets on, and if it all goes tits up there's the epirb. No wucken furries.

  14. #44114
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,304

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    They all just funnin' Gary.
    Not really. I have a fairly passionate hatred of guys in uniforms who think the answer to everything is tighter regulation.

  15. #44115
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not really. I have a fairly passionate hatred of guys in uniforms who think the answer to everything is tighter regulation.
    Not to mention that the uniformed blokes are generally those born with nystagmus issues which frankly is pretty icky!

  16. #44116
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    The boat that started this has ended up on Wanda Beach, which is Cronulla, sort of. The swell wasn't that big and the wind wasn't really strong although gusty. My guess is that the boat was too close in and was knocked over by a wave breaking in shallow water. IF that's the case, then it's probably fair to assume that the guy would have lived if he'd been wearing a PFD. I'd add that he would have lived if he'd been clipped on.

    Rick

  17. #44117
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,304

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Or stayed further out, but as I think you said, we all make mistakes. Yes, that's probably one a PFD would have saved. I'll admit it can happen!

  18. #44118
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Gold Coast Australia
    Posts
    2,392

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    I am possibly exhibiting a degree of personal risk in entering this controversial debate without a PFD .

    I admitt to only wearing one when crossing bars while generally wearing a harness when single handing,but frequently only using it when conditions pipe up.

    Why don’t I wear a life jacket? Mainly because the old style of PFDs where bulky and awkward..

    My intuition and common sense tells me I better go out and buy a new style of PDF and get used to wearing it regularly.

  19. #44119
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,260

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well that's exactly the point. As I understand it, any research which goes beyond the knee jerk "He drowned, should a gone to life savers" actually tends to find that a whole lot of lowest common demominator passive "safety" equipment generates a false sense of security, a disregard for safe behaviour, and accordingly more incidents. So people wearing life jackets tend to do stupid things, which includes tipping their boats over more frequently than people who don't, because people who don't are more conscious of the consequences. To paraphrase, she's right mate, got the life jackets on, and if it all goes tits up there's the epirb. No wucken furries.
    Yes but most drowned boaties are not found wearing one, therefore no false sense of security in having them on board.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  20. #44120
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

    My intuition and common sense tells me I better go out and buy a new style of PDF and get used to wearing it regularly.
    The value of PDF's is well documented!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  21. #44121
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,260

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Not really. I have a fairly passionate hatred of guys in uniforms who think the answer to everything is tighter regulation.
    If you saw the stupid sh!t people do on the water you might cut the uniforms some slack.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  22. #44122
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Looser fitting is probably better anyway.

    A lot of people wear PDFs, which are mostly inflatable these days, without crotch straps. If you jump into the water in a PDF without a properly fitted crotch strap, it'll probably drown you if it doesn't come off altogether.

    I'll always have PDFs for everyone on our boat but only use them when it seems necessary. At sea, everyone has to be clipped on when out of the cockpit unless it's calm and at night, clipped on in the cockpit and on deck.

    Those Stormy jackets with in-built harness and PDF are a good idea but expensive and too warm for local use in summer. If they ever invent a PDF that's also a harness AND comfortable then I might wear it all the time at sea. But I don't think there is one.

    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-25-2018 at 06:55 PM.

  23. #44123
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    If anyone ever invents a decent Portable Document Format, I'll use it all the time!

  24. #44124
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    The value of PDF's is well documented!
    ...

  25. #44125
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection



    Well done, both of you!!

    But Tom and I'll have our revenge!

    Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-25-2018 at 07:21 PM.

  26. #44126
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,238

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Just don't get revenge by chucking me over the side while I'm distracted trying to get the damn printer working.

  27. #44127
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    26,260

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Looser fitting is probably better anyway.

    A lot of people wear PDFs, which are mostly inflatable these days, without crotch straps. If you jump into the water in a PDF without a properly fitted crotch strap, it'll probably drown you if it doesn't come off altogether.

    I'll always have PDFs for everyone on our boat but only use them when it seems necessary. At sea, everyone has to be clipped on when out of the cockpit unless it's calm and at night, clipped on in the cockpit and on deck.

    Those Stormy jackets with in-built harness and PDF are a good idea but expensive and too warm for local use in summer. If they ever invent a PDF that's also a harness AND comfortable then I might wear it all the time at sea. But I don't think there is one.

    Rick
    PFD with crotchstrap and build in harness have been available for years. I bought a Burke brand about five years ago.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

  28. #44128
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Of course they have them as an option but many are still sold without crotch straps. In my view, they shouldn't be available without crotch straps.

    Gary, you will be astounded to know that I was aware that PFDs that are also harnesses have been available for many years and that I don't think the four I have on our boat are the only ones on the planet. I've done extensive night watches in several different types and all that I've tried are uncomfortable just for that. I'd like one that you can sleep in as, at sea, there are occasions when you need to be ready to go up on deck at short notice. Having to spend 10 minutes getting gear on isn't acceptable. In a real emergency, you don't have time to put the damned thing on at all which sort of defeats its purpose. Sleeping in a webbing harness is easy and makes more sense.

    Rick

  29. #44129
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    17,287

    Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

    Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Just don't get revenge by chucking me over the side while I'm distracted trying to get the damn printer working.
    Had I ever lived or worked on a boat, I can safely say that many printers and their manuals (and possibly their authors), might well have met watery graves!

    Rick

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •