Page 1229 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 2297291129117912191228122912301239 ... LastLast
Results 42,981 to 43,015 of 44035

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Your experience has prompted me to be ultra vigilant sealing everything in sight (and out of sight) with about a thousand coats of epoxy. Hopefully keeps the rot at bay.
    Gluelines crack, I would glass or dynel all external surfaces. Everytime I external repairs now they get glassed.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Yep, done that, everything external is glassed including details such as: toe rail; knight heads; Samson post... but some parts of the interior, such as the deck beams and cabinetry are not glassed, only buried in many coats of epoxy. There is more bare wood still to be sealed in the main cabin, but this cold weather doesn't help that particular job.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Yep, done that, everything external is glassed including details such as: toe rail; knight heads; Samson post... but some parts of the interior, such as the deck beams and cabinetry are not glassed, only buried in many coats of epoxy. There is more bare wood still to be sealed in the main cabin, but this cold weather doesn't help that particular job.
    The interior should be fine, mine is only painted or varnished. The inside of the hull is epoxied and in places painted as well. Though most of the new planking is only painted.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I am painting everything (after epoxy sealing). By this stage in the build the last thing I want too look at is wood (or thickened epoxy for that matter). Not only is my boat mostly wood, but any time I look up or step outside the shed all I can see is acres of trees. Very ready to trade all this for the sight of sails aloft and the sea, and to trade these pesky parrots and galahs for petrels and albatrosses.

20180710_085313.jpg
    One of them has come down on the waterline from the dam and squashed the pipe so no water to the house. I suppose you can guess what my first job is tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    20180710_085313.jpg
    One of them has come down on the waterline from the dam and squashed the pipe so no water to the house. I suppose you can guess what my first job is tomorrow?

Cold shower in the creek?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Lots of chainsaw work there.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Cold shower in the creek?

If there was water in it possibly but it's been a green drought here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Lots of chainsaw work there.
    It'll keep us busy for I while I think.

We seem to have had some success with the little 120i Beemer we bought at the auctions. It had a really dodgy gearbox and was using oil and it was a bit rough running. So, the oil use is nearly fixed. Old, hardened o-rings on a few bits that hang off the engine (there's some sort of brake assist pump that was the biggest culprit)... pretty much fixed now. I hate cars with oil leaks. It had Mini runflats on it when we bought it. Sold them and put the right wheels on it (no net cost).

The dodgy gearbox was more interesting. It wasn't throwing any codes, but while we were testing it, one of the coils pooped itself and a cylinder cut out. A new set of coils fixed that and.... miraculously, the gearbox problem went away. It was hunting gears when the engine got a bit of load on it (eg going up a big hill on cruise control) and it would bang and thump. Who'd have thunk that an engine problem would present as a gearbox issue.

Anyhow... it seems to be good.... for half the price of equivalent cars on carsales.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

G cramps work for fixing quashed pipe.

Good one Gary, you can drink water again.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've given back a CPAP machine at the end of a four week trial, which followed a sleep test my Doc arranged for me to do. I could buy one from the clinic but I'm waiting on my age pension to be approved and for some reason it's not being processed. So all cash reserves are now on hold in case we need to live off them.

I'm hunting on eBay and gumtree and might pick up something affordable there. On the off chance someone here has one in a cupboard and will sell it, please let me know.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    We seem to have had some success with the little 120i Beemer we bought at the auctions.
    I've recently bought a very cheap 120D from a friend that had a few problems with it, ( which I think I can fix). They feel like a sportscar to drive, probably the only hatch with rear wheel drive, very low to the ground.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

[QUOTE=brucemoffatt;5618993]I've given back a CPAP machine at the end of a four week trial, which followed a sleep test my Doc arranged for me to do. I could buy one from the clinic but I'm waiting on my age pension to be approved and for some reason it's not being processed. So all cash reserves are now on hold in case we need to live off them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Hope it willl get sorted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    We got a cray pot around our prop off Camden Haven years ago. I went over the side and tried to free it, but couldn't even get close to the prop. The boat moving up and down on the swell was a bit frightening. We sailed into Camden Haven and as far up the river as we could. Then anchored and got a diver out the next day.

I think the implication in that report that you should just fire off the epirb at the first sign of trouble is crap. And dangerous. Self reliance is a vital part of seamanship.

I remember a device advertised in WB years ago designed to cut a line as it wrapped around the shaft, anyone else remember that ?
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I remember a device advertised in WB years ago designed to cut a line as it wrapped around the shaft, anyone else remember that ?
    Not specifically WB but yes I know the things of which you speak. I don't think it's possible to fit them on Balia due to the ontrollable pitch prop. But they are certainly a thing I'd like to have. Particularly if I do a bit of sailing back and forth from here to Tassie. The coast from about Portland to KI is lousy with cray pots.

You see cutting things advertised a lot in British publications. I gather loose ropes, lines, nets etc. are a major problem over there.

Rick

We got a cray pot around our prop off Camden Haven years ago. I went over the side and tried to free it, but couldn't even get close to the prop. The boat moving up and down on the swell was a bit frightening. We sailed into Camden Haven and as far up the river as we could. Then anchored and got a diver out the next day.

I think the implication in that report that you should just fire off the epirb at the first sign of trouble is crap. And dangerous. Self reliance is a vital part of seamanship.
    I agree but going over alone, at sea, untethered isn't a very good idea either. That might not have been the case in this case, of course. He could have had a health problem or been hit by a shark. I would go over but not without a tether and a reliable way of climbing back on the boat. Watching the boat drift out of reach would be awful.

Rick

Yes, on his own he should certainly have been tethered. But the immediate call for help school,of safety training is all wrong in my opinion. Just encourages people to do foolish things with no preparation, inadequate gear, no plan b. If some thing goes wrong we'll just call. Well Sunshine, sometimes help won't get there. It's not like waiting for roadside service when you get a flat tyre and don't want to break your nails.

That doesn't sound like something to worry about, never had a flat tyre on the boat (although I always carry a spare around my waist).

Yes, on his own he should certainly have been tethered. But the immediate call for help school,of safety training is all wrong in my opinion. Just encourages people to do foolish things with no preparation, inadequate gear, no plan b. If some thing goes wrong we'll just call. Well Sunshine, sometimes help won't get there. It's not like waiting for roadside service when you get a flat tyre and don't want to break your nails.
    We had an incident recently where we couldn’t get a crew together.

I completely agree!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I completely agree!

Rick
    All well and good in retrospect, but reading between the lines of the ABC report, the guy seems to have been a well-known boater at the yacht club and an inveterate DIYer.
    A combination of over-confidence in his abilities and a strong need to avoid the ignominy of being towed back to harbour in front of (or by his) his peers could have overwhelmed common sense and sensible risk mitigation. If the 'she'll be right' self-assessment is strong enough then subconscious discounting of risk happens.

One of Dylan Winter's videos with a mixture of small yacht and open sailboat sailing. There are a few very nice boats on moorings as well that I know Peter would like.

Bloody hell bronchitis knocks it out of you. Even small amounts of excursion reduces me to coughing fits.

Feel like a dog with a bone but here I am visiting the keel extension for my Tammie Norrie again, after initially deciding to go with a dagger board. My gut feeling tells me this tapered keel extension which is roughly equivalent to the area of the daggerboard will work.
    I better make my mind up soon since despite all my efforts I am not receiving any additional feedback.

[IMG]bbcode image[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Feel like a dog with a bone but here I am visiting the keel extension for my Tammie Norrie again, after initially deciding to go with a dagger board. My gut feeling tells me this tapered keel extension which is roughly equivalent to the area of the daggerboard will work.
    I better make my mind up soon since despite all my efforts I am not receiving any additional feedback.

[IMG]bbcode image[/IMG]
    If you want to sail it, it'll go better with the daggerboard. If you want to row it, it'll be fine without any additional keel but you might find it'll track better with the extra keel. I just think the keel is unnecessary, especially on a clinker hull.

Rick

And this!!!!!!
    "Boat shed, slipway, jetty & boat - Expession of interest

$1
    Negotiable"

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/derw...est/1182976524

Looks like a bit of a time warp. Wonder what the story is there.