Page 1351 of 1370 FirstFirst ... 3518511251130113411350135113521361 ... LastLast
Results 47,251 to 47,285 of 47916

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

You can, by just painting with resin but these are just for the bilge pump hose running under the engine so I won't bother. These ones were done without peel ply. The white patches are where I've roughly sanded edges.

Rick

Fair enough. Literally.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

They say happiness is a new band saw blade. Well they should. My blunt one broke trying to rub its way through a bit of tuffnol. Yay! New blade was $21 or so and it has all these sharp pointy bits on one edge. Amazing. I'm still not loving the laminate trimmer thing, but I now have a bunch of tuffnol plates to go under the stanchions above deck, and ply with one face glassed and the other surfaces epoxied to go below decks. Almost ready to start drilling holes. Not emotionally ready. Not by a long shot. Lucky it's raining for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Hello Tom,

Here's something a bit sleeker than a Jube, 23ft of shallow water goodness that really shows its Gippsland Lakes heritage. Apparently it's batten seam construction which is pretty rare around here.
    Sadly up for sale because it's now a bit beyond the owners capabilities.

Hans

Attachment 43138

Attachment 43139
    Nice where is she being advertised?

If you do want to fall in love with your trimmer then buy a straight top-bearing bit. Most bearing bits have the bearing on the bottom but the top-bearing bit has it at the top. This allows you to place it on a template for cutting clean holes, shapes etc. I use mine quite a lot.

Rick

Envious Phil, I’m still down with the Dreaded Lurgy, ribs feel like I’ve been in a car accident with all the coughing. The broken toe has turned out to be not such a big deal, I can get around okay.
    Watching a few movies and one I watched last night is called Styx. It’s about a German woman single handing a yacht down the West coast of Africa when she comes across a disabled trawler full of refugees. Nicely done with some realistic boat handling. Very little dialogue but it doesn’t need it.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    If you do want to fall in love with your trimmer then buy a straight top-bearing bit. Most bearing bits have the bearing on the bottom but the top-bearing bit has it at the top. This allows you to place it on a template for cutting clean holes, shapes etc. I use mine quite a lot.

Rick
    ...and make a little table for it. My trimmer router mostly lives attached to a piece of form ply about 2' sq. Basically I took the little bottom plate off the router's collar and put some form ply there instead, rebated into the ply a bit to get more reach through the hole. This is the way to enjoy a router, especially for any parts smaller than furniture.

...and excellent progress on the deck fittings! Keep at it.

[QUOTE=HS;5961693]Not being advertised at this stage, word of mouth seems to be generating a bit of interest. It's in a antique/second-hand/junk dealers yard in Williamstown...I drop in there occasionally looking for camera stuff. I can PM you the details if you like.[/QUOTE

That sounds like the dealer will want his share on top. I like the look of her though ,although my little car would drop it’s clutch at the first hill start. Few weeks goby where I don’t regret selling the Landcruiser.

I had a very surreal experience last night. Our son's musical production company hosted an experimental music duo from Noo York at the SA Maritime Museum. It was very interesting.

Not sure if anyone remembers the episode on Arawana where I was violently seasick, and left the cockpit without my harness and pfd. Standing at the base of the mast facing aft I was tossed up and back and landed on the forward hatch. I'd been suicidally depressed before setting off on that trip. Anyway when I was flat on my back looking at the safety rails and the water beyond I had a moment where I felt that the sea was communicating to me that I would not have the choice to take my own life, and that fate would take me at its whim, not mine.

Anyway, last night there was a meditative/hypnotic musical composition that went for a few minutes and it was as if two seconds of my experience - from standing at the mast to lying on my back looking at the sea - had been stretched out into that few minutes of performance. It turns out that the composer has had a premonition that they are going to die by drowning, and that's what the music is supposed to be conveying. I found last night's performance profoundly moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Surreal indeed.
    Art is at its best when something else from somewhere unknown comes along for the ride.

One of those rare and extraordinary moments. Worth living for.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I had a very surreal experience last night. Our son's musical production company hosted an experimental music duo from Noo York at the SA Maritime Museum. It was very interesting.

Not sure if anyone remembers the episode on Arawana where I was violently seasick, and left the cockpit without my harness and pfd. Standing at the base of the mast facing aft I was tossed up and back and landed on the forward hatch. I'd been suicidally depressed before setting off on that trip. Anyway when I was flat on my back looking at the safety rails and the water beyond I had a moment where I felt that the sea was communicating to me that I would not have the choice to take my own life, and that fate would take me at its whim, not mine.

Anyway, last night there was a meditative/hypnotic musical composition that went for a few minutes and it was as if two seconds of my experience - from standing at the mast to lying on my back looking at the sea - had been stretched out into that few minutes of performance. It turns out that the composer has had a premonition that they are going to die by drowning, and that's what the music is supposed to be conveying. I found last night's performance profoundly moving.

I hadn’t realised, I knew you were stressed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I hadn’t realised, I knew you were stressed at the time.

I'd had a long term plan to get a boat and do some sailing once I got to pension age. Sheila got to the point of insisting I get the boat ahead of the planned timeframe. Then I got quite sick in the head, got medicated, and when I was stabilising, out of nowhere I got a call from the AFP that tipped me over the edge so to speak and I did a runner for Southport to buy Ken's boat.

It's all in the second book.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I'd had a long term plan to get a boat and do some sailing once I got to pension age. Sheila got to the point of insisting I get the boat ahead of the planned timeframe. Then I got quite sick in the head, got medicated, and when I was stabilising, out of nowhere I got a call from the AFP that tipped me over the edge so to speak and I did a runner for Southport to buy Ken's boat.

It's all in the second book.
    Let me know when it's ready, I'd love to read it.

Some of those mystical or out of body experiences make you truely question Devine intervention along with the existence of a higher power .

I’ve had several similar experiences over the years from a carbon monoxide poisoning on my Alberg to a rather bad case of ciguatera later on the same trip.
    And then there was the time sitting in among some old ruins on Santa Rosa Is where I had another out of body experience along with the feelings of having visited the place before, and no I hadn’t smoked any funny cigarettes or been meditating.

Bruce glad to hear you understood the message the elements where relaying to you at that time of crisis.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-18-2019 at 12:45 AM.

Kerry tells me I’ve only got a cold, well if this is a cold how come people aren’t dying like flies with the flu?

Sorry to hear you're not well, Gary!

My boat engine isn't well either. Don't ask, I don't want to talk about it. i want to throw money at it and pretend it never happened.

But I do want to ask if anybody over there has had any experience or heard anything about these guys? dieselworks.com.au They offer an exchange Kubota D850, the same as mine, for $1850. Unbelievably cheap. I spoke to them and they sound OK, but the price seems too low for comfort. Should I be nervous?

Cheers,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Never heard of them. Might be worth asking whether they are new, used, reconditioned or simply repainted.

Well that's pretty scary.

Well that's pretty scary.

It would be a change of underwear for me.

Look up the piece from the ABC and in the 9 press about increasing, and decreasing wave heights as a result of climate change.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-...height/4637624

In that Westhaven clip is the tall rig over on the right being blown into power lines?!?!?

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    In that Westhaven clip is the tall rig over on the right being blown into power lines?!?!?
    No it's light flare from water drops on the camera. Scary enough without high voltage powerlines. At least I hope not.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Sorry to hear you're not well, Gary!

My boat engine isn't well either. Don't ask, I don't want to talk about it. i want to throw money at it and pretend it never happened.

But I do want to ask if anybody over there has had any experience or heard anything about these guys? dieselworks.com.au They offer an exchange Kubota D850, the same as mine, for $1850. Unbelievably cheap. I spoke to them and they sound OK, but the price seems too low for comfort. Should I be nervous?

Cheers,
    John.

Arrgh engines!!!!

Kubota, I am told, are not only the best Diesel engine of the day but the most common. Maybe it's possible for a high quality recondition to be done cheaply? I have been told that kubota parts are really cheap.
    Is it marinised?
    If it's not a marine engine, will your gear box line up? One would think it should.....

Beta is a marinised Kubota. Nanni's are as well.

It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My experience with engines: grazed knuckles, hideously expensive parts, hands black with perma-grease, always installed in the most inaccessible manner possible, just barely nearly almost started when the battery gave up the ghost, attached to fouled and drag inducing props, a lethal missile should it ever depart its engine beds in a seaway, smelly diesel, etc etc etc... therefore deleted my engine budget and fattened up the sail budget.

Now, I don't suppose someone could give me a tow...

No it's light flare from water drops on the camera. Scary enough without high voltage powerlines. At least I hope not.
    Looks like a mast going Zap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Arrgh engines!!!!

Kubota, I am told, are not only the best Diesel engine of the day but the most common. Maybe it's possible for a high quality recondition to be done cheaply? I have been told that kubota parts are really cheap.
    The parts are cheap. Comes from massive volume, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Is it marinised?
    No, I have pulled the marinising bits off mine, and will re-use them.

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping somebody over there had some experience with the company, but it was a long shot!

I did speak with the boss there, and he sounds OK. He claims they replace the liners, pistons, the whole lot.

Cheers,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Probably worth a shot then. I reckon Kanga, who make one of the diggers I have, were offering new replacement engines, fitted for about $4000 a couple of months ago. They run a 25hp 3 cyl Kubota.

Seems like everyone here just about has had to get a new engine in the last year or two. Certainly hope I'm not next in line.

1998 Sydney to Hobart?

Rick

Spot the 50' cat doing the backflip right over the jetty, top left of the screen at about five seconds - thats the one featured on the news last week. It was mentioned here, back when it happened.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!