Page 1135 of 1138 FirstFirst ... 135635103510851125113411351136 ... LastLast
Results 39,691 to 39,725 of 39801

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    What is? The 0.99? There's a reserve - probably close to the 28K or maybe he's encouraging lower bids up to, say 15K in the hope that someone will think they're getting a 28K boat for a lot less. In any case, who'd buy a boat like that without going and checking it out and then you'd negotiate a price with the owner anyway.

Rick
    If I was a girl I'd just sign up, cruise to foreign cities, trade hemp and get lots of copies of the boat built for next to nothing. Weed be rich and happy.

Old chaffcutter blades are rare around here but they could be cut out of old circular saw blades. The handle is a piece of old teak floor board.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

[QUOTE=Phil Y;5393952]
    Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

That would be difficult I think. But with this one being local, no worries. I'm thinking though, looking at the pics on gumtree, that it might be a bit of a skinny lightweight racing sort of a mast. 4 sets of spreaders. Not sure I'd be comfortable going quite so extreme, and I suspect such an engineering masterpiece would require really tight rigging, more stress than I like to put on an old wooden boat. It came off an aluminium boat. Has rod rigging, hydraulic backstay, was probably state of the art at some stage.
    It could be off Ragamuffin No 2, which ended up in SA and had the same topsides colour, tumblehome and a similar stripe, although most of those remarks also apply to Patrice III. Rags had a state-of-the-art Stearns mast fitted in 1977, as I was reminded the other day when I was scanning some old Australian Sailng mags in preparation to leaving them behind when we move.

I'm not sure whether it would need to be tightly stressed, as long as the spreader base width is OK. Many opponents of modern-ish bermuda rigs overdo the claims that they need tight forestays IMHO. Many of the most popular International classes, including Etchells, J/24s and Flying 15s, sail with sloppy forestays a lot of the time. I fitted my own old wooden mast with a more modern rig and feel that it actually reduces stress because you don't have to tension sails and rigging to take the stretch out of them.

If it's the mast I'm thinking about, it was noticeably bendy and thin for its day but that was when we would play with that sort of stick to improve sail shape, as Snow Pea said. The basic section and fittings could be quite useful and you don't have to tweak it; I actually used its "sister mast" a bit when I was a kid and it wasn't troublesome. SnowPea's remarks about insurance ring very true, of course.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-13-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Chris. I'm pretty well convinced I want something with a bit more natural fortitude. The mast itself is cheap I guess, particularly with a profurl, solid vang and all the other goodies. But by the time I get it on the boat, it would all add up, and I think maybe better just to put new sails on what I've got. I reckon that, including a bigger Genoa, will make a good bit of difference.

I think it's much more sensible to add optional power to a conservative rig than to detune a racing rig. There must be plenty of solid masts available out there. I think if you rang a few riggers you'd find something.

Rick

Possibly. Adelaide is a very small place though, and not many big boats here.

Right, I guess I was thinking of a wider pool! Might not be too expensive to have freighted though?

Rick

Maybe. 60 odd feet though, bit tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe. 60 odd feet though, bit tricky.
    You could take Balia to the mast you find somewhere online. I'll come and cook.

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Holidays with the boys in Malaysia.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is another location hint for you seasoned travelers.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had planned on doing a digger job this morning, but it's raining. I've had too many digger jobs lately, so happy for the opportunity to postpone that and put a couple more planks on Henry's Nutshell.

Got half the old deck off the Cadet last night, framing appears to be Grevillia Robusta by it's grain. The glue, if my observations are right is animal glue, (hoofs and horns) applied hot. Seams are glassed in that epoxy was applied, but no cloth that I can see.

More likely to be northern silky oak Jeff, which is cardwelia, not grevillea.

Rick

If it's still wood it's Cardwellia sublimis, northern silky oak.... lovely stuff. Our local grevillia robusta isn't durable at all.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good progress. I quite enjoy planing the edge of ply. None of the problems with wavy grain you get with real timber and you can pretty much tell if you have a fair curve by the feel and sound of the plane. Once again though I have cause to be grateful for the gap filling qualities of epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good Phil.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Me too. I like working with plywood generally. Yes, looks good!

Rick

I knew there was another wooden boat connection with Arawana. Lazing around down here at the dock I just took my weekly planning call from the council to be told to pull my finger out because there is an announcement just been made of a wooden boat festival in Port Adelaide next year.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Hasler self-steering gear on ebay
    No interest or connection etc

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Holidays with the boys in Malaysia.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Could've sworn I replied to this. Oh well...

Looks good, apart from the suspect guy in the shot. Where in Malaysia are you?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I knew there was another wooden boat connection with Arawana. Lazing around down here at the dock I just took my weekly planning call from the council to be told to pull my finger out because there is an announcement just been made of a wooden boat festival in Port Adelaide next year.

I wonder if people with fibreglass boats are getting sick of all these wooden boat festivals?

Rick

I wonder if people with fibreglass boats are getting sick of all these wooden boat festivals?

Rick
    Nah
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post

Is this the goolwa show moving to the port, or something new?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Is this the goolwa show moving to the port, or something new?
    I don't know. Apparently there is some news coming out of the Port Council about it and I'll get more info tomorrow arvo. Dissapointing if it's a take-over of the Goolwa festival though.
    Paperback E-book

A Google search suggests that's been in the wind for a while.

I think I've bought a nice anchor warp for Balia. I've certainly bought some rope. I think that's what I'll do with it. 250 metres of 24mm ice blue polyethylene. Someone tell me if it's no good for anchor warp but I reckon it should do the job. $99 on grays online. I'm thinking it would be around $700 in a shop, so fairly happy with that. Balia has all chain at the moment, and not all that much of it. I've never laid it out straight on land, but have laid it out on deck and I reckon it's only 20 or 30 metres. Not really enough.

I have 100m of 3/8 chain I don't want. Most of it is very good.

Rick

I wish I had a boat to put it on!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have 100m of 3/8 chain I don't want. Most of it is very good.

Rick
    If that's an offer I might see if I can work out a way to say yes please. I have 2 anchors, but only one chain. But I'm not sure what size my chain is.

Yes, it's an offer. I could try to sell it but I know I won't. About 80m of it is really good, the rest of it has some surface rust. It's heavy! I'll leave your name on it until you know one way or the other.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I wish I had a boat to put it on!
    You do but it would sink it!

Rick

Phil, I reckon you should have at least 60m of chain on your boat. Masina has, I think, always had 100 but my new, lighter (8mm) chain is 80m.

Rick

Thanks Rick! I'll go and measure my chain today. I suspect it's a bit bigger, which would mean that yours won't fit on my winch, which is sad. But will let you know one way or the other today. It would be worth regalvanising I'd say.