Page 1377 of 1383 FirstFirst ... 377877127713271367137613771378 ... LastLast
Results 48,161 to 48,195 of 48386

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    That will be painful. Makes hitting myself in the ear trying to start the stihl seem unremarkable.
    Yes, I nearly went to sleep reading that. Stihl, ....

Sorry Jeff, ow! S'posed to pull your finger out when sailing, not the thumb! BTW, I chopped the top of my thumb off, to the bone, at school, when I was, umm, 7. I still have it but it's creased.

Rick

Addendum: broken, right at the tip under where the nail was. I've made a splint from a bit of pipe and that will stay on more or less till after the regatta. Bruising extending to my wrist is the biggest problem. That thumb has had a break before, it's my dominant, and strongest hand.

And you saw that Joe got knocked off his scooter?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

That last cruise I did with Dad, we came from the Dentrecasteaux channel around the corner into the Huon. Hell's triangle I call it. Suddenly needed a couple of reefs in, which is quite a gymnastic affair on that boat. I think there was something in the timing of the boom crossing the cockpit and Dad letting the topping lifts go. Suddenly I found myself sitting on the cockpit floor with a very sore head. Just while we are talking about sailing wounds.

Boom! Right on the noggin.

My mate Glen is arriving at Portland as I type. Apparently 4 metre swells weren't very nice.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Good news Bruce.

Club member got a detached retina from a whack on the head with a boom. I had some problems till I learnt not to wear bifocals in the boat. Gives you a false idea where the boom, and your head is.

Looks like tied up in berth A7. Phil you'd remember pulling into that one in Balia. A bit tricky to tie up a heavy boat with a bit of wind pushing it off the berth.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

I don't remember which berth is which. I do remember charging downwind towards a rock wall with no apparent room to turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I don't remember which berth is which. I do remember charging downwind towards a rock wall with no apparent room to turn around.

I remember that in fine detail. Gronicles of corten steel you had. A lesser skipper would have flinched, hesitated and run full bore onto the rocks. It would have made a lovely sad folk song had we crashed but an even better rollicking shanty for the success. Come to think of it we should add another verse into the Portland and Adelaide Bound song for that docking.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Ripped my left thumbnail off amd may have broken the tip on Sunday sailing in an easterly that was far too strong for most of us. Also two split centreboard cases and a broken mast as part of the casualties. Fun though with the dingy out of control and overpowered much of the time. Depowering to gybe round the windward mark was interesting………. And that's where my thumb came to grief. Blood in the bilges!!
    Serious ouch material. I think the worst I've done on Redwing was when I whacked myself in the head with the crank handle.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

One of those 'Think before you swat' moments?

I've done it with grease and glue but, happily, not yet with a crank handle in my hand.

Mind you, if the marsh flies get any bigger, it may become necessary!

Rick

Nice pic of Dads high peaked mainsail. From day 2 of The Last Cruise. Might be interesting for Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    One of those 'Think before you swat' moments?

I've done it with grease and glue but, happily, not yet with a crank handle in my hand.

Mind you, if the marsh flies get any bigger, it may become necessary!

Rick
    It was the day I launched and I was trying to crank start the Yanmar after it stopped on me. Cranking hard and it came off the shaft.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

That would make you cranky

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Nice pic of Dads high peaked mainsail. From day 2 of The Last Cruise. Might be interesting for Tom?

Thanks Phil I am always analysing gaff rigs . Just noticed the top halyard gaff bridle does not appear to be under tension at the bottom, in fact the gaff appears to have an inward bend rather than the outward bend that normally would be associated by the bridles pressure on the gaff spar.
    What is your take on that .?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looks like you could reef it just by easing on the throat halyard....maybe
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I think the apparent bend is a trick of the phone camera. The slack bridle section is probsbly due to a stopper knot in the bridle. I don't know why it would be there, just is. Originally the peak halyard block just attached directly to the gaff by way of a strop. Someone probably suggested a bridle as an improvement and it probably wasn't.

You do need to let off the peak and throat halyards to reef. You just hold both in one hand. Same purchase on each so they run at the same speed.

For the first time in quite a few days the fire alert zone on Kangaroo Island in SA has been lifted. There is a tiny bit of rain to come, maybe 1 to 2 mm. There's a worry that from tomorrow morning there's going to be a couple of days of fairly strong westerly winds which could raise some fires up again from embers, and could put the unburned eastern end of the island under threat.

Boat content: none really. It's j6st a lovely place to sail to. And once upon a time I was almost infamous there.

Running Goose Winged with Big Blue. We had some great sailing on day 3

I'm thinking of moving.
    But there are problems:
    We'd need to find a new place but I don't think we could afford the telescope.
    In any case, transport would be a problem and something might eat us immediately.
    I can't respect people who leave for a better place without doing what they can to sort out the place they're already in. But it's not easy to be optimistic now. Life wasn't meant to be easy.

Rick

Sounds like things are getting a bit grim inside your head Rick.

Maybe. FIL's on life support so just hanging around trying to be supportive rather than doing anything otherwise productive, so getting sick of that. The world's currently run by FWITs who don't care about anything other than their own pathetic selves, so that doesn't help. Generally I think I'm fairly optimistic but finding it hard today. I'm fine really though so don't worry.

Rick

Well here's a hug from me. Although I don't do hugs much. Maybe a smile and a joke or something. Anyway.

Appreciated!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'm thinking of moving.
    But there are problems:
    We'd need to find a new place but I don't think we could afford the telescope.
    In any case, transport would be a problem and something might eat us immediately.
    I can't respect people who leave for a better place without doing what they can to sort out the place they're already in. But it's not easy to be optimistic now. Life wasn't meant to be easy.

Rick
    Okay it's been a while since my visit but I thought you lived in a pretty nice place.

We live in a beautiful place. I hope we can keep it so.

Rick

Dunno what to say except to repeat what I've already said. I don't know how you deal with the fire stress , it must wear you down.
    Loved ones in trouble just takes everything to another level.

Thanks JB!
    Okay, I'm grateful for the hugs but that's enough now! Apart from the FIL and the MIL, who are very old, we really are okay and fortunate to live where we do and how we do. Yes, I'm angry and depressed about the fires and the drought, and really depressed about the wildlife, but we're doing it easy. People like Jay up in Gulgong and friends we have out near Coonabarrabran and at Condobolin, they're doing it really tough. I really feel sorry for them - they get hammered by the weather every day.

I really am grateful for your kind words - thanks!

Rick

And Tassie is a really nice place!

IMG_0145.jpg

I could definitely live there. I don't think I'll win that battle - except that our plan is to take Masina there and leave her there for a year. My secret plan might be to extend that a bit ..... But that won't be for at least another year or two.

Rick

I do love that shot of Balia at Franklin

We have a similar plan. Keep Balia down there and spend 3 or 4 months a year cruising in Tassie.

Day 4 of Leofledas last cruise. Fair winds again. Making passage towards Dover.

Nice! I missed the bit where you told us when this cruise happened. When was it?

Rick

3 years ago
    Coming via Facebook memories.

Our Classic Wooden Dinghy Regatta setup is today, starting with clearing 7 or so small FG catamarans out of the compound. Their owners are always grumpy and late, though they know when the Regatta is coming.
    Weather looks kind, but the winds might be a bit brisk.
    I have a car full of vintage pond yachts to deliver and set up as well.