Thread: Freedom Boat Service Mound Minnesota

Default Freedom Boat Service Mound Minnesota

In Minnesota and took a couple hours to visit with David from Freedom Boat Works in St. Paul before my flight out today.

He employs five fulltime woodworkers and specializes in restoration and repair of classic wood boats. He has clients from all over, but a big part of his trade comes from the affluent Lake Minnetonka area, perhaps 30 minutes from his Mississippi River waterfront location.

This 23 Hackercraft was getting a new quote, 5200 bottom, unquote. The black sheet material protects the topsides during the repair.

Sheet plywood aft; plywood plank laid on a bias forward. Okoume.

Transition point from sheets to plywood strips. ( note all screws clocked)

Once that is laid, mahogany planking will be laid fore n aft, set in a bed of troweled on 5200. Here is that planking stock.

These tick boards hold plank widths and other info. The data was picked up off the old plank at frame locations when the boat came in. These will help lay the new plank in a dry fit prior to being glued down.

More...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 08-18-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Here are the original stem and a detail of the new stem. Notice the head of the carriage bolt was filed to a narrow shape and also clocked so that when the stem is shaped, tapered, the head does not get in the way.

Here is Brutus, the shop dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Freedom Boat Service Mound Minnesota

Great looking bit of work! How does he bend those strips of plywood (3/8"?) approaching the stem, per the third to last photo??? Great looking pooch BTW!

Default Freedom Boat Service Mound Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Great looking bit of work! How does he bend those strips of plywood (3/8"?) approaching the stem, per the third to last photo??? Great looking pooch BTW!

Manually, pushing and pressing and taking off to tweak with a shave from a plane and then try again til he gets the fit he wants. Basically, the strips are proportionately long enough and thin enough to do what plywood is not supposed to be able to do: bend in two dimensions.

The last piece against the stem will be a triangle.

Hopefully, one of our more experienced members will chime in with a better explanation than I provided.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin....

Yes, thank you.

Some other boats. This restoration launched the day after I was there. Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Engine.

More..

Kevin

And...

Kevin

Thanks! Those are some beautiful boats!

^ My pleasure. I really enjoy visiting such shops and usually find the owners welcoming.

Kevin

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yes Thanks Kevin
    Dealing with these boats of such pedigree ....whoa... one might need to be not drunk or high half the time I guess .