Page 715 of 717 FirstFirst ... 215615665705714715716 ... LastLast
Results 35,701 to 35,750 of 35818

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

That would account for the interest in junk rigs.

Rick

Degrees of separation. I didn't and do. Ta!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That would account for the interest in junk rigs.

Rick
    Many things account for that.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

What's the thing with anchors? I have a Sarca that I haven't tried yet. Masina has had a CQR for 40 years, the previous owner said it's fine everywhere, but CQRs seem to be increasingly unpopular as all these ungainly looking, impossible to store things take over. My only criticism of the CQR is that it comes up with a great glob of mud on it that's a bugger to clean off. The Sarca is supposed to sort of expel mud due to its concave bottom so I hope that's the case.

Rick

PS Note that the CQR also has a sort of concave bottom which retains mud. Also note that David's Rocna has a convex bottom and scoops up unenviable quantities of mud. It's a sort of mud scoop.
    I was joshing. I think a bunch of boat owners is about as likely to agree on the perfect stove, as they are the perfect anchor, as they are the perfect dinghy. Theres a lot of subjective personal preference and even whimsy involved.

In my case I wouldn't have gas because I know I'm basically lazy and tend to cut corners. The bilge sniffer might get wet and stop working and I wouldn't replace it, I wouldn't shut off at the tank every time, even with a solenoid, for the same reason I leave the lights on when I leave a room. Vulcan had a 4 burner gas stove and oven, it was wonderful. But it was there because it was there when I bought her. Ive always used Maxies, and that's just what I'm comfortable with. They do get a bit of tarnish on the stainless-but the one I have on Balia, I had on my Tumlaren 30 years ago and its just fine.

Wongawallan Queensland....wait....no, Darwin NT...for now

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Balia had an origo when I bought her. Horrible thing. Same as a trangia really, just 2 pots of metho. As noted, it stinks when burning. Its slooooow. You have to fill it pretty much every time you use it, sometimes twice, and of course filling is the dangerous bit, if there is any real danger.

I really like my Maxie.

OK, now that's sorted, let's talk about anchors.
    Which Maxie do you have Phil? (If you posted it elsewhere I can’t see it)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Another horrible disaster ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-1...-found/8279576

It's far too common, I knew a bloke who died in a water tank with his Dad and 2 brothers. People just don't seem to realise CO is deadly !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    No..... potassium chlorate (weed killer) plus icing sugar 50/50 mixed dry in a wooden bowl.
    Thanks Peter, I never knew chlorate worked as an oxidiser. My method tended to absorb atmospheric moisture once the rockets were filled. Before the age of media fed terrorism I could skateboard down to the ag supply store in town, an my baggy jeans and hoodie, and buy a 10 kilo sack of potassium nitrate, no questions asked, then ride the bus home with it on my lap. They were better days....

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    Thanks Peter, I never knew chlorate worked as an oxidiser. My method tended to absorb atmospheric moisture once the rockets were filled. Before the age of media fed terrorism I could skateboard down to the ag supply store in town, an my baggy jeans and hoodie, and buy a 10 kilo sack of potassium nitrate, no questions asked, then ride the bus home with it on my lap. They were better days....
    When I was a young 18 year old bank Johnnie (my first job when I left school) I had a .22 pistol in my drawer at work. Once a month, to maintain familiarity with it, I’d have to put it in my right pocket and a box of ammo in my left pocket and walk from the Comm' bank at 367 Collins St in Melbourne to the Reserve bank at the other end of Collins st and empty the box of ammo on the pistol range on the top floor of the building. Different days.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

When I was a bank Johnnie, also my first real job after leaving school, we had larger caliber pistols than that and nobody trained us and nobody maintained the weapons until a holdup scare. Then the police in conjunction with the bank sent a lot of us with our provided weapons to a pistol range with the police firearms training boss. Several pistols were shown to be inoperable, some more confiscated for being potentially lethal. We got good training and spent a fair few rounds into targets, using our usable weapons and police issue weapons. After that I never really had any inkling to want to have one available on the off chance somebody came in and demanded cash.

sent from my nerdy phone app
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Likewise Bruce, in the sense that there was no training, no instruction (and no Google) - just take it down the Reserve bank range and work out how to use it then go back each month and practice. Fortunately I had some common sense and about 13 years of experience with rifles, but I do remember wondering what the heck someone else would have done. I also had my own cleaning gear so took all of the banks pistols home one weekend and cleaned them all, about 8 or 10 of them, and I do recall them being in a woeful state.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Al G View Post
    Pot chlorate was sold as weedkiller, 4/6 a pound , the 90 cents a kg and icing sugar for 1/3 a pound but the preferred rocket fuel was zinc dust and sulphur. Our local library had a book called "Rocketry for Amateurs''.... I can't imagine that book existing in a library today ! The final project was a rocket that looked like the one Hamas fires .... so one copy still exists.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    When I was a bank Johnnie, also my first real job after leaving school, we had larger caliber pistols than that and nobody trained us and nobody maintained the weapons until a holdup scare. Then the police in conjunction with the bank sent a lot of us with our provided weapons to a pistol range with the police firearms training boss. Several pistols were shown to be inoperable, some more confiscated for being potentially lethal. We got good training and spent a fair few rounds into targets, using our usable weapons and police issue weapons. After that I never really had any inkling to want to have one available on the off chance somebody came in and demanded cash.

Dad had a .22 Beretta semi auto, licensed too as he was a gem dealer. I got plenty of time on it and remain shocked at the inaccuracy of a short barreled pistol. I was a decent shot, I even shot in the Earl Roberts rifle team at our school.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Dad had a .22 Beretta semi auto, licensed too as he was a gem dealer. I got plenty of time on it and remain shocked at the inaccuracy of a short barreled pistol. I was a decent shot, I even shot in the Earl Roberts rifle team at our school.
    Yes, the miniscule movement of the hand vs the wide angle spray of shots. I'm prety sure it would have been completely disastrous if any of our tellers had actually tried to shoot someone. Nobody would have been safe. I still have a sore arxe from the instructor about making sure the things were actually pointing at least in a general forwards sense and not into him, me and the other trainees.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

A target pistol of course is amazingly accurate ! Barrel length is all.
    Grateful Dead

Good grief .......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yes, the miniscule movement of the hand vs the wide angle spray of shots. I'm prety sure it would have been completely disastrous if any of our tellers had actually tried to shoot someone. Nobody would have been safe. I still have a sore arxe from the instructor about making sure the things were actually pointing at least in a general forwards sense and not into him, me and the other trainees.
    Inaccuracy ?? A mate and I built an Owen copy from an old bolt action Mauser .22 when we were 16. The thing sprayed dozens of rounds and we were lucky to get 5 out of 20 on a sheet of tin at 10 m. It was disassembled and the various parts dropped off different jetties when some unsavory types expressed an interest.

The project was purely , "I wonder if we can?"
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Which Maxie do you have Phil? (If you posted it elsewhere I can’t see it)
    Not sure if there is a model number or something. Just a 2 burner with a tank up behind it.

Sounds like it's the same one I have in Pipsqueak.

Rick

Good grief .......

Rick
    Boats, guns, rockets. Pfft... don't worry, they all go together.

Where's JohnB's cannon been lately?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Speaking of rockets, we had Estes rockets with cartridge fuels. Have some still here... somewhere, from when the boys were growing up. Before the rockets, we made our own things that went bang. Saltpeter, sulf.... hmmm, let's leave it there... and a 240v extension lead was all we needed.... plus a jar to contain the mix. Lots of bangs. We also made things that stopped the bangs. One of the guys built his in metalwork at school.... "muffler for the Victa, Sir". Same guy built a single-shot .22 pocket-sized piece.

Different times. One of the guys brought 7 sticks of jelly in one day and we had some fun with that down the bush, after school. As kids did, back then.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

At least one of the tall ships in Hobart had a small cannon...I heard it.

there fixed it. Bloody pedantic mob.
    Last edited by WX; 02-17-2017 at 04:01 AM.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Pachelbel's possibly.

I love the sound of a great canon roaring in the morning ...

Rick

The Spirit of Tasmania has just left the wharf. Apparently this happens a lot.

Rick

Pachelbel's possibly.

I love the sound of a great canon roaring in the morning ...

Rick
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Enterprise was the vessel with the canon, I think she wanted the James Craig to strike her flag, I don't this was complied with.
    the invisible man........

'Twas indeed a most musical festival. As it should be!

That's the one, Greg!

Those of you who missed the festival may be pleased to know that no Morris dancers were there. Those of us who did attend were relieved ..... nay, rapt!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Enterprise was the vessel with the canon, I think she wanted the James Craig to strike her flag, I don't this was complied with.
    Clearly barqueing up the wrong tune!

Rick

Above flood level, Northern NSW, Australia

I'm sad that I was mizzen the whole thing; canons and all.
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 02-17-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Boom Boom

That's the one, Greg!

Those of you who missed the festival may be pleased to know that no Morris dancers were there. Those of us who did attend were relieved ..... nay, rapt!

Rick
    Oh yes they were, paganism knows no boundaries..............

Really? How lucky to have missed them!

Rick

The absence of Admiral Spongeworthy could have contributed the relaxation of standards, such as the minor matter of Morris mancers (wanted to keep the alliteration running)
    the invisible man........

Rick
    You mean rapped don't you?
    Flat bottomed boats, you make the rockin' world go round.............

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    The absence of Admiral Spongeworthy could have contributed the relaxation of standards, such as the minor matter of Morris mancers (wanted to keep the alliteration running)
    Absolutely! It appears uncontrolled gybes abound.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Absolutely! It appears uncontrolled gybes abound.
    Reminds me of a certain dinghy sailor trying to steer Balia

Or this dinghy sailor doing similar things on a Sailfish.
    (That's tomorrows job, to get it right! I started learning in about 1963, I should get it right soon I reckon).

I've been looking on and off for a new vehicle for a couple of years now - I hate buying cars, but finally bit the bullet and plonked down a large wad of cash on a three year old Hyundai ix35 Elite CRDi diesel today. Gawd, what have I done .
    A Korean oil burner, AWD, turbo, 130ish kW, just shy of 400Nm of torque. Should tow anything that I'm likely to build or buy, and it got the Suzanne seal of approval too, being a nice shade of blue.
    It is having a tow bar fitted at no extra cost - the dealer rolled over on that very fast, prolly should have haggled harder, but I've seen a few with 30,000 more k's on the clock for the same money, so I think we've done OK.
    It was at a Lexus dealership, perhaps they just wanted the nasty Hyundai off their yard haha.
    When I dug out the paperwork for the Camry, I realised we've had it three weeks shy of ten years. Hopefully we'll have as good a run out of the new beast.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Reminds me of a certain dinghy sailor trying to steer Balia
    Definitely a Spongeworthy moment!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Movie recommendation. I just took the family to "Lion", strongly recommended !
    Grateful Dead

As if the fires in NSW aren't bad enough, "Severe storm warnings for Newcastle and Wollongong. Sunday does look interesting.

That's the one, Greg!

Rick
    Er there were Rick, banging sticks together and all.

John Welsford

We towed a 75 tonne trawler in over the bar and back to it's berth today. Sea rough as guts, sheets of spray right over PD30. Our boat is an 11 metre Niad weighing 11 tonne with two 300 hp outboards. We are quite pleased with ourselves.

John Welsford

Engine failure Gary ?
    Grateful Dead

Hydraulics he lost steering. He actually used his engine to help us tow. We crossed the bar on the ebb at about three knots. Nicole our skipper did a brilliant job. I was back deck helping with the towline.

John Welsford

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

John Welsford

Link here to the Sailfish site ands some pics of them racing at the regatta.

1870 is mine, sailed by my cousin on the day.

https://australiansailfish.wordpress...ry-3/victoria/

Video here,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKAYtrOd3I

Abandoned hull saved, borrowed rig, finished on the afternoon before the regatta from bits scrounged from everyone's bits boxes!

Nice picture of the Mac in there too!

Paperback E-book

Yep, looks great Jeff!

Rick

Here in Williamstown but not for long. We'll have a quick look around the marina before we head north. Williamstown seems nice.

Rick

Fun!
    Grateful Dead