Page 1200 of 1200 FirstFirst ... 20070011001150119011991200
Results 41,966 to 41,975 of 41975

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

That would be good Bruce, actually a friend has asked me to crew on a run up to the Whitsundays sometime in the next few months, that will definitely be good. A 32 foot ketch, wood too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I wouldn't say a pity... not really. Every boat is perfect in her own way, but no boat can be everything. The only pity happens if the owner of a boat gets distracted by what she is not and therefore misses what she is. The owner of a boat who is focused on the virtues of his boat will find no end of enjoyment and satisfaction. In this way either Jim or the Randell is a great choice and both have a huge amount to offer. I reckon well done Peter for being able to make a clear choice.

For Bruce.

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It's been considered seriously but with the responsibilities I have here , Ellee and her children ( my grandchildren) I've realised I wouldn't be using her sufficiently to justify the ownership. She'd be better with a single bloke or a couple who could really sail her. I doubt I could get the time away.

JIM will satisfy my needs ..... I hope.
    Since when does anyone have to justify ownership of a boat?? If you used it for a couple of days every couple of weeks you'd be using it a lot more than most! And you don't need to make a choice - have two boats!!

Jim'll be great for coastal trips etc., exploring the rivers and lakes. The other one'd be better for the sea and if you want to take others with you. Only you can know what you want to do most.

Rick

That would be good Bruce, actually a friend has asked me to crew on a run up to the Whitsundays sometime in the next few months, that will definitely be good. A 32 foot ketch, wood too.
    Most keel boats don’t get used all that often, in fact most of the boats on moorings in the Tweed aren’t used at all as far as I can tell.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

The problem with a moored boat that you dont use much is that it grows stuff on the bottom even faster than one you do use, and needs slipping at least as often. A trailer boat can sit on the trailer under cover for a year or two or three at no cost at all and still be ready to go when you are. I happen to want to have a boat which is much too big to live out of the water, and which I dont use enough, but for me the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. If I focussed on the disadvantages they could become overwhelming. For Peter, Jim sounds perfect, even though the Randell is a lovely boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Since when does anyone have to justify ownership of a boat?? If you used it for a couple of days every couple of weeks you'd be using it a lot more than most! And you don't need to make a choice - have two boats!!

Jim'll be great for coastal trips etc., exploring the rivers and lakes. The other one'd be better for the sea and if you want to take others with you. Only you can know what you want to do most.

Rick
    I wanted a sea going boat for years but circumstances change and mine have changed.
    Grateful Dead

I have enough trouble sailing my dinghy once a week, especially in winter. But it's easily stored under cover and can be in the water in about 20 minutes, and I don't need a crew. I almost bought Sanderling from Mike but It would have spent most of it's time on a mooring and I'm glad I did not.

For Bruce.

I may be wrong, but I think that's Scamp no 1 with Howard Rice at the tiller, during early sailing trials.

I was daydreaming about Scamp 179 yesterday and how I might set up self-steering on her for extended coastal adventuring. I guess I'd better get on with finishing her off soon.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Yes, it's Howard's on trials .
    Grateful Dead