Page 1332 of 1336 FirstFirst ... 332832123212821322133113321333 ... LastLast
Results 46,586 to 46,620 of 46753

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Im sure youre prob right. who has that many air mattrsses?? even if the passenger side isnt covered.
    its off the ABC news site - could even be a stock photo from the interweb.

News coming through from Christchurch. Really sad and sorry to see this - kindest regards to all our friends in NZ.

Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Stormy in Sydney last night, lots of hail, big ones.

Surely it would have been easier to put it in the garage?
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

The garage is full of all his other air mattresses.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    News coming through from Christchurch. Really sad and sorry to see this - kindest regards to all our friends in NZ.

Rick
    Yes, awful.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Digging all day yesterday. Nowhere near the boat. So today I hope to tidy up a couple of deck things, fill and fair and get a coat of epoxy, sans glass, onto the deck. While Bruce goes sailing. Not envious. Nah. To be honest I'm a bit over working on the deck. I'm tired and sore. It's a long drive. It's consumed my summer and there's so much more to do. That little whinge is really all about the impending fibreglass laying because I haven't done it before and it needs to be right first time. It will be fine but I do a bit of anxiety in these circumstances. Cheers.

At least with a job this size Phil, you will be good at it by time you finish

And I'll have forgotten by the time I need to anything like it again

Fill and fair it, yes.
    I think you should coat it in epoxy when you are ready to glass it. You'll get a much better bond between glass and timber.

It's fewer steps, also.

I may be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Fill and fair it, yes.
    I think you should coat it in epoxy when you are ready to glass it. You'll get a much better bond between glass and timber.

It's fewer steps, also.
    I agree. Leave the ply dry and raw until you lay the glass. Otherwise, you're going to need to sand it before glassing anyway, and that'll remove most of the resin.

Rick

Sanding epoxy is horrible. Avoid whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Digging all day yesterday. Nowhere near the boat. So today I hope to tidy up a couple of deck things, fill and fair and get a coat of epoxy, sans glass, onto the deck. While Bruce goes sailing. Not envious. Nah. To be honest I'm a bit over working on the deck. I'm tired and sore. It's a long drive. It's consumed my summer and there's so much more to do. That little whinge is really all about the impending fibreglass laying because I haven't done it before and it needs to be right first time. It will be fine but I do a bit of anxiety in these circumstances. Cheers.

You have done a remarkable job considering the scale of the project. Might be time to reward (pay) yourself and hire some experienced help.

Sacrilege!

Rick

Somebody ought to snap these up! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bard...ion/1212839355

Rick

Its really not that hard.
    As Rick said, the more time you spend fairing and filleting now you save double that time if you were to do it after laying the glass.
    You got this!

You're doing great, Phil. Keep at it.
    Think through the next six steps at every stage. Be methodical. It'll go without a hiccup as long as you're organised.

Thanks guys. I'm doing a coat of just epoxy to avoid bubbles under the glass which apparently will happen if I put glass on raw wood in the sun on a hot day. I'd rather go this way than have to grind off a whole lot of glass. And I'm not at all inclined to employ someone for lots of good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Somebody ought to snap these up! https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bard...ion/1212839355

Rick
    I will have some big winches to sell soon. Going to self tailing. For convenience.

I may be too late.
    Only in the sense that my mind is now set on a course. Filler is on and drying. I'll sand that smooth shortly I hope and get my coat of epoxy on this afternoon.

Thanks guys. I'm doing a coat of just epoxy to avoid bubbles under the glass which apparently will happen if I put glass on raw wood in the sun on a hot day. I'd rather go this way than have to grind off a whole lot of glass. And I'm not at all inclined to employ someone for lots of good reasons.

That does make sense - I hadn't thought of putting a coat of resin on to prevent outgassing. I think it's a good idea!

Rick

I will have some big winches to sell soon. Going to self tailing. For convenience.

Me too. Firstly, because I'm SICK TO DEATH of bashing my shins on the sharp-edged Barlows but secondly because self-tailers are sooo nice! I already have the new ones in a cupboard

Rick

Shall I repeat my winch stories? Why not, could do with some light relief.
    Trademe= nz ebay equivalent.

Riada had a broken self tailing Wilkie winch for her mainsheet,and that was replaced for the previous owner on purchase of the boat with something horrible and non self tailing but with a big name.
    John buys Riada and she comes with a complete but broken innards Wilkie st.
    So I watched trademe until one came up and bought it, and asked how come just one winch for sale, usually they're a pair.
    Oh , she says, my husband reconditioned both and the first time we went sailing after the big refit the whole top of the winch went bang and flew off into the tide , leaving just the base.... do you want the base and mechanicals for the second one too.
    Ohhhhyess please.
    I took the second unit base, plonked my top on on it and got two self tailing winches for the price of one.
    That's a win, right.
    Story 2
    So a few years after that I wanted to replace my Wilkie 28s, non st, with st so again had a watch going.
    2 smaller but very nice ones came up on trademe and I bid and competed and dug my heels in and paid a lot to get them, but get them I did.
    On emailing the seller I discovered they were owned by a mate...you could have had them for... names a figure 300 less, says Richard.
    Soo not quite such a win.... but I haven't regretted it, they have become invaluable as runner, preventer and furler winches.
    I can't really think of any reason for a winch being without self tailing except that's how it was done.
    Last edited by John B; 03-15-2019 at 10:43 PM.

I have four new self-tailers waiting to be fitted. One day, I'll find at least one more for the halyards. I don't mind the winches I already have there but sometimes when there are visitors on board ...... I do have quite a few other priorities in front of those though.

Rick

Well I've left the boat for today. The filler is drying too slowly for me to have time to sand it back and do a coat of epoxy and get home in time to get ready to go to a mates 60th tonight.

I bought these babies years ago, they've been patiently waiting for the deck project. The beer bottle is purely for scale.

Well I've left the boat for today. The filler is drying too slowly for me to have time to sand it back and do a coat of epoxy and get home in time to get ready to go to a mates 60th tonight.

I bought these babies years ago, they've been patiently waiting for the deck project. The beer bottle is purely for scale.

I dream of a self tailer but they are so bloody expensive.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Sitting in the boat today with drizzling rain overhead and I counted 4 small leaks in the boat and I cannot for the life of me work out how or why they are happening.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Ah yes. That is a good reason. Still a pain to have to sand it all for the next round, but as you say; better than a whole heap of bubbles in your glass.

Do you reckon you can wrangle the timing (maybe even on part of the job) so the epoxy pre-coat is solid but still green, so you avoid the bubbles but still get a chemical bond between that and the fibreglass layer?

I have never used it, but would not the peel ply deal with the bubbles?

Ah yes. That is a good reason. Still a pain to have to sand it all for the next round, but as you say; better than a whole heap of bubbles in your glass.

Do you reckon you can wrangle the timing (maybe even on part of the job) so the epoxy pre-coat is solid but still green, so you avoid the bubbles but still get a chemical bond between that and the fibreglass layer?
    Basically no.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    I have never used it, but would not the peel ply deal with the bubbles?
    Not prepared to throw the dice on that. A quick sanding is nothing. I'm sure the bond will be plenty strong.

The discussion is good actually. I seem to be satisfied that I've got a sound way forward. No bubbles. No need to do the whole deck in one shot with a team of 10 and 6 cases of beer. I can start with a small simple area, maybe the aft deck, and experiment with squeegees and rollers and thumb tacks and a wet or dry start and all with no major risk. All good.

Six cases of beer is good, though!

Six cases of beer is good, though!

Job-and-finish rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The discussion is good actually. I seem to be satisfied that I've got a sound way forward. No bubbles. No need to do the whole deck in one shot with a team of 10 and 6 cases of beer. I can start with a small simple area, maybe the aft deck, and experiment with squeegees and rollers and thumb tacks and a wet or dry start and all with no major risk. All good.

Yep!

Rick