Page 1331 of 1334 FirstFirst ... 331831123112811321133013311332 ... LastLast
Results 46,551 to 46,585 of 46683

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

10pm and it's very still, very warm and very humid.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Internet speed is a bloody joke.

Mbps download

Mbps upload
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Getting the deck ready for glassing today. But I'm concerned about the weather. No rain but around 30 every day for the next several days. I'm worried about bubbles forming in the heat. There's no shade and no way to rig tarps. Nothing at the gunnel to tie down to. Do it in smaller bits in the evening over a few days? Any other tricks or hints about laying down acres of glass over ply?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

In the spirit of brainstorming...

Vacuum bag it in smaller sections?

Other than that or evening sessions, nothing comes to mind. Sorry. You almost certainly need the temperature to be dropping, not rising.

Thanks. I'm learning too much already without trying vacuum bagging. My head would explode for sure.

Smaller sections and do it as late in the evening as you can so it's cooling as it cures? Might minimize the outgassing.

You're limited in size by what you can reach. Do it in manageable sections as the day begins to cool. Use the roller to get the resin on and then roll the peel ply on. Use weights wrapped in plastic if it's windy. Have someone mixing the resin in smallish batches as you don't want it starting to go off as you roll it on. Test the rollers beforehand as some will leave hairs etc. in the resin. I think you can get mohair in 3/4 roller size - they're a bit expensive though. Have you already filled and faired all the joints etc.? Since you're using peel ply, you should be able to put primer straight onto the glass now, so it'd be good to have the surfaces fair from the start. Easier to fair it now with an angle grinder than later over glass.

Rick

I have seen tarps held down by four litre bottles filled with water hung from every eyelet. Dunno if that could work for you.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Sanding and fairing today and tomorrow, thanks. I had left old deck around the starboard shrouds, thinking the deck was OK there. Well, hoping really. I did have a boatbuilder replace all the rot he could find there a few years ago. Turns out he missed a bit. This was early on when I thought I might be repairing more than replacing. Hahaha, if I knew then what I know now I'd have just ripped it clean out. Now I have a little more deck work to do. Still, I have other obligations in the evening next few days so can't really do any glass until probably Saturday.

Tarps on sticks held down by bottles. Just no.

So I says to the boat, hey boat I says, you don't want to fcuk with me today cos I'm not in a very good mood, know what I mean? And the boat says sorry boss, I really am sorry. And I says Sorry, it's too late for sorry, that bit of rotten deck is a gonner. And so I did the fcuker. It's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I have seen tarps held down by four litre bottles filled with water hung from every eyelet. Dunno if that could work for you.
    Clever.

Phil, Excellent to see that bit gone too. Is that the whole deck now?

Fhavent touched the foredeck yet.

I'm pleased with Pixie progress now, after getting only half of last week free and missing Monday this week.

On Monday I had the box trailer on the car for a different errand so I took my outdoor work table to the boatyard. It's really high tech: a stack of six pallets topped with half a sheet of form ply, and it's awesome. Three or four of them are hardwood so it's heavy as hell and really stable. When part of it rots off I just get another pallet.

On the boat, The Good Part is all glued up, roughly shaped and waiting for final shaping with longboard. The Less Good Part is 90% chopped out. It's down to the shape I want at one end and a couple of inches to go at the other end to get to good timber. I had to drive out a couple of long bolts, etc. I'm clearing out the amazing variety of gunge between ribs along the bottom edge of the planking as I go. I forget what that stuff's called, but the stuff that fills the hollows so water can run out, ya know. Some of it's tar. Some chalky white filler crap. Some straight resin which is almost like glass. It's a mess.

I'm not going to spring a pair of planks and repair with a single piece because it would require far too much demolition (half the fasteners I'd need to get to are under the mast step) and shaping a piece like that for retrofitting is just horrible anyway. I'm going to put two pieces inside (so I can get them in through the gap, which is smaller than the required timber) and another on the face of those, overlapping the plank edges. It'll be plenty strong, and infinitely stronger than the missing piece of timber that wasn't there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Fhavent touched the foredeck yet.
    Is the foredeck part of the program?

Oh, and the worms appear to have followed the rules and not crossed the seam into the knee above their civilisation, so I'm thankful to them for that courtesy at least.

Good work Matt. Sounds like a sensible approach.

Yes the foredeck is definitely part of the program. Plenty of rot there. It's complex. Forehatch sits on its own structure the size of a small cabin. Anchor winch. Samson post. Stem fitting. With forestay and anchor rollers. Inner forestsay. Some mystery bronze fitting in the deck. Pulpit. Big job all on its own.

Excellent job Phil.

Finally finished the batten pockets on the sail. The last one was the hardest. I think the big problem was trying to feed the sail through the machine. Friction and weight made it very frustrating.
    I am almost convinced it was harder to fit the batten pockets than it was to make the sail.
    I've been thinking about how to attach the batten parrels aft of the mast and I'm thinking of using stainless steel saddles.

Now for the new sail cover which should be an absolute doddle after that job.

Sail cover. Now you have my attention!

I have some light blue awning canvas for it which is quite soft and manageable. My present sail cover is made from a couple of banners and the plastic material folds like cardboard.

Put up two 1964 Kombi headlight glass on ebay last night...and they are sold.

Are you going to try simplifying the hatch structure or leave it as it is, Phil?
    You can never have too many clamps

Good news on the worm front, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1N View Post
    Are you going to try simplifying the hatch structure or leave it as it is, Phil?
    I'll leave it as it is.

Fixed that rotten bit by the shrouds. Would have liked to get more done today, but there you go. Working tomorrow and back to deck work Saturday.

Here's the underside of the forehatch and some top views. Much work still to do.

I suppose that there’s no reason to think that the stuff under the remaining bit of teak is going to be any different to the rest?

Correct!

Rick

Foredeck is 100% cactus

I had my first tool overboard event yesterday. I broke my little jemmy bar a week or two ago, and bought a replacement which just wasn't quite right. Slightly wrong angles and slightly shorter. So I wasn't too upset when the replacement slipped overboard and found the gap between the boat and the berth. More exciting was the belt sander, which thankfully didn't go for a swim. The power sockets on the berth are a bit tricky. Often the cord doesn't go in far enough. Yesterday I plugged in the cord and squeezed the trigger on the belt sander. Nothing. No life. Hopped off the boat and pushed the cord firmly home and ziiinnnng, away she goes! The sander took off across the deck, luckily ricocheted off the shroud and headed back inboard, as I pulled the plug. Seems I have a nasty habit of locking the trigger when I use the belt sander.

I lost a screwdriver over the side last weekend but as I have lots now I wasn’t too fussed.

Stormy in Sydney last night, lots of hail, big ones.

I went out and covered our car but not to that extent.
    We had a clap of thunder that shook the house from the shockwaves but no hail.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    Stormy in Sydney last night, lots of hail, big ones.

I'm sure it's staged. I can't imagine anyone in Australia with a black 4wd ever doing anything sensible.

Rick

Staged. They have at least seven air mattresses, so they can't fit in one of those Jeep things. They need a people mover.