Page 1112 of 1112 FirstFirst ... 11261210121062110211111112
Results 38,886 to 38,909 of 38909

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

He said he was self taught, probably a bit from everywhere and a damn good ear !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Toppen

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

He's 20 now and doing quite well it seems. There's a few YouTube clips of him playing.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Last edited by Hallam; 09-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Okay the best flow chart I have seen
    21752326_1813199952027730_3477276213282108929_n.jpg
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

That's classic! Just about covers all scenarios!
    When I / we bought Warana I had been looking for an affordable option for a while but a good boat was always "too expensive" so the flow chart stalled there until finally a great boat came along at the right price so it was a yes and away we went, straight to 'Buy The Boat'!!!
    We both think it's the best thing we have done since having kids, and they are way more expensive!
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Well the road base is leveled and all the spare rocks moved and we have a little party planned tomorrow arvo to open it to traffic.

20170919_132905.jpg

John Welsford

Yep, well worth celebrating. Looks very good.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Yep, well worth celebrating. Looks very good.

You must justifiably be feeling quite chuffed with your voyage? You did some long legs there.

John Welsford

Re the Cadet Dinghys.
    One was sent from a local yacht club as 'abandoned' (some years) to be sold and has all it's equipment. However when interest was shown suddenly they are worried about the owner turning up.
    The other is a Cedar hull only, been out in the weather for years, and is on the cusp. I inspected it, some rot, plank ends in a mess, 40-60% copper rivets need replacement, transom cracked in two places, hull covered in some sort of flaking polyurethane, a mess to get off, keel is very knocked about and all the interior fittings loose or part detatched. Now there's interest it's gone from a nearly give away to $500. He's dreaming, or the supposed owner is.
    Fixable, but with no equipment and no hull number for accreditation purposes I haven't got the time.

Well we christened it this afternoon...all lined up to drive over it after we cut the tinsel.
    20170920_173403.jpg

John Welsford

That's a pity Jeff. Well done Gary and your community. I got home today. Perth to Adelaide is still quite a long drive. Happy with the new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That's a pity Jeff. Well done Gary and your community. I got home today. Perth to Adelaide is still quite a long drive. Happy with the new truck.
    Welcome back. Balia is still there. I spent the day looking for a HIN plate on Arawana.
    Paperback E-book

Welcome back. Balia is still there. I spent the day looking for a HIN plate on Arawana.
    Not sure about QLD but in NSW there should be one on the transom and one inside the boat somewhere.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Not sure about QLD but in NSW there should be one on the transom and one inside the boat somewhere.
    Yep, same. The transom one is defs a no-show so it's vital I find the one inside. I've emptied and inspected every space, and I can't locate it anywhere. It's going to complicate things no end
    Paperback E-book

Yep, same. The transom one is defs a no-show so it's vital I find the one inside. I've emptied and inspected every space, and I can't locate it anywhere. It's going to complicate things no end
    My inside one was placed in the v-berth under some framing.

John Welsford

My inside one was placed in the v-berth under some framing.
    Sneaky! I'll have another look there, just in case.

Paperback E-book

I think the inside one is supposed to be deliberately hidden to prevent tampering. I'd imagine you have to contact the HIN registry, if there is such a thing, to find out where it is.

Isn't this a bit warm for September?
    http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/murwillumbah.shtml

John Welsford

i found WB accidentally behind the main cockpit beam above the engine .
    I would concentrate my search in around the cockpit lockers and engine compartment. with the keyword being not clearly visible or hidden.

Isn't this a bit warm for September?
    http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/murwillumbah.shtml

35 in September ? It's going to be a cruel Summer
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    i found WB accidentally behind the main cockpit beam above the engine .
    I would concentrate my search in around the cockpit lockers and engine compartment. with the keyword being not clearly visible or hidden.
    I got onto the previous owner who says a new HIN was issued when he bought the boat, but nobody attached HIN plates. That explains why there is no sign of a plate ever having been attached to the transom. Unfortunately, it also means the HIN plate verifier gets to tell me Arawana can never be registered in SA. I have to pay money for this service, because people steal boats, and therefore I must be put through mental torture. Shoot me now.

Paperback E-book

Courage Bruce, 'nil bastardum carborundum'.

I got onto the previous owner who says a new HIN was issued when he bought the boat, but nobody attached HIN plates. That explains why there is no sign of a plate ever having been attached to the transom. Unfortunately, it also means the HIN plate verifier gets to tell me Arawana can never be registered in SA. I have to pay money for this service, because people steal boats, and therefore I must be put through mental torture. Shoot me now.

Don't despair Bruce my understanding of Queensland registration requirements are : proof of ownership Identification and transfer papers then the registration numbers once registered have to be displayed on the vessel.

There are NO HIN Plates on outside or inside of vessel in Queensland unless previously fitted in another state.
    However once you cross into NSW vessels such as WB have to aquire HIN plates if not already fitted.

I am hoping SA will not insist on HIN plates that possibly where never issued by the Q government and the above info may help .