Page 1246 of 1246 FirstFirst ... 24674611461196123612451246
Results 43,576 to 43,602 of 43602

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

It could certainly be made shiny, and more beautiful than anything at Whitworths, but that's another chunk of time per unit in polishing.

I'm assuming it's not the mass Whitworths market that Peter's aiming at ....

$50 would be very cheap for that. Did you check the Davey or Classic Boat Supplies sites?

Rick

The hours do mount. I've run a home micro business before making bandsawn boxes and it's always depressing when you work out the hourly rate.

There are other little items like chain pipes .
    chain pipe Classic Marine.jpeg
    or a prettier chain stopper ?

Chain-Stoppers.jpg
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Heh heh... the best hourly rate I've ever got... was the sale of some drone footage to a mob doing a Medal of Honor documentary for Netflix.

Lessee, $1,000 for 13 seconds. 3,600 seconds per hour... makes it about $276,923 per hour.

There was, of course, some set-up time that's not included in that.... like 9 hours driving that day, 8 of which we didn't get beyond second gear - and some risk of arrest and loss of all equipment, but we picked our time right.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The hours do mount. I've run a home micro business before making bandsawn boxes and it's always depressing when you work out the hourly rate.

There are other little items like chain pipes .
    chain pipe Classic Marine.jpeg
    or a prettier chain stopper ?

Chain-Stoppers.jpg
    I think the one in your earlier picture, Peter.

What about mushroom vents? Portholes? They're expensive to buy.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    "Someone" I know has dozens of them
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    Mushroom vents are a possibility, but portholes require lots of threading and other machining, I've looked at the idea but it's beyond my machining skills.
    Grateful Dead

I understand what you are saying Rick, but I just wonder how many traditional 30 odd foot boats get built or restored every year in Australia, and how many of those Peter might tap into. I think the number of smaller sail and oar style boats might be larger, but still not at all high. It's a bit depressing really. My youngest son who is doing year 11 has been accepted into a Uni business course. They have a project to come up with a business idea and pitch it to some business people who will come along for the purpose. Straight away everyone in the class is trying to think of a new and better app for smart phones. Pretty sure none of them are going to suggest casting bronze hardware for small keel boats.

I agree, as a stand alone enterprise it is a guaranteed loser.... but as a way to earn another $50 or $70 pw it might work.
    Rowlocks seem like a reasonable idea.

The other idea is to go back to "fine boxes", the expensive Dad gift market. I used to make boxes like this, time consuming but satisfying too.I have a huge stash of a variety of timbers.

Box cedar 3.jpg

Box cedar 1.jpg
    Grateful Dead

i'd suggest focusing on the smaller things which manufacturers can't justify making because of the small market. if you can design a range of bronze products that are more of an accent or feature piece, and offer a small degree of customisation to up the individuality then you would have some products that you'd be able to make the $70 p/w and cover your equipment and materials for your other projects. products you could make might be cast nameboards, lug rig parts, replacement handles and knobs for specific engines or winches that have a big market share, maybe cast mounts or covers for compasses, gps units and modern items which boats have now, but toplicht etc don't really have anything for.
    If i was doing a similar small business i'd be setting up an instagram account (no cost- compared to a website, you just need some half decent camera skills), and retailing direct from there, making connections with other 'makers' in order to raise my profile. something like these guys have done, https://www.instagram.com/shipwrightskills/?hl=en https://www.instagram.com/forrest_kooglewerks/?hl=en In particular koogleworks have a whole product line that is just vacformed cup holders for 60's BMW's that look stock. With no commercial competitor due to the low volumes, they can charge enough to make it a viable product, even though a factory could turn them out for a couple of dollars.

(sorry, i have an industrial design background i don't get to use anymore, so this stuff gets me excited...)

edit to say, if you don't charge enough, people won't value your products as much as they should either. $50 is too cheap for those stoppers, if they are quality products then charge accordingly. hence why i'd suggest focusing on show-off items which people are prepared to pay more for anyway.
    Last edited by pelagos; 08-16-2018 at 11:10 PM.

Why not combine two of your skills. High end chess sets.

Those pieces were a gift to me by workmates 35 years ago when I moved to NZ. The board is a gift I gave to the Princess - made from Aussie Red Cedar, Silver Ash and Caledonian Oak, on a scrap of leftover marine ply. 50mm squares. I didn't get the alignment right... mostly due to not having a decent cutoff saw and then trying to sand things square. Ha ha. With your skills... a few jigs and you'd be turning out heaps. The chess pieces are all held together with a bit of 1/8" allthread.

Should pull $450 a set.

I think the boxes are more likely to offer a reasonable return for your time.

Thanks everyone, as ever marketing is the key. I need to find out who is my market if I do the boxes. Bronze hardware is a little more obvious. Instagram is a good suggestion, thanks.
    Grateful Dead

There's a craft, art and food market held in our street once a month here. It's called The Olive Tree Market. The quality of stuff is very high. Some expensive, some not so. But it's surprising what sells and what doesn't. They have a website.

I think if you want to capture the mass market then sell coffee but if you want to have fun and make a little bit of money, there's a niche market in traditional boat and other marine gear that would take up what you make. Rowlocks, rowlock plates/brackets - they'd sell. The chain stoppers will sell. I think if you use Instagram, Gumtree, EBay etc. word will get around. I can send you a list of things I could use if that helps. Others might do the same. Bronze bolts aren't easy to find. Bronze nuts, wingnuts.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I have patterns for nuts already, I finished a 6'' cleat pattern yesterday and have a chain pipe pattern already .
    For a chain stopper , would 10mm chain be the most common?

If you think of other items that might sell well please suggest them.
    Grateful Dead

Deadeyes, for the growing group who are building traditional standing rigging with dux rope.

Peter I like the chain pipe unpolished of course.

Have you considered renting out your lovely little cottage as a BNB weekends only, combined with those spectacular view you guys have , it could possibly earn more cash for less effort.

Tricky little things ! I'll look at a pattern.

I might have a go at bronze framed wood shell blocks too.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Deadeyes, for the growing group who are building traditional standing rigging with dux rope.
    Thanks Matt I was considering those but wanted to thread lightly. Do you have a picture of your Deadeyes.
    I would definitely require 5 of those.

You know what really pisses me off? You spend hundreds of dollars on a marine radio and the shiny little mounting plate for the microphone turns out to be ****ty electroplated steel. It starts to rust in about 3 weeks. If you can make them in bronze I'll take 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pixie's deadeyes are from Peter Kerr's pattern, which he made for Pixie and the new dhow which Tom posted photos of. I don't want anyone copying them directly.

But honestly there aren't many different shapes they can be, as they are essentially based on a thimble. They are similar to the Colligo aluminium ones, though solid other than the lashing holes, so they look more like a traditional deadeye than the Colligo version.

Peter, your photo a couple of posts back would work fine as a solid part with lashing holes for the lanyards. Some rigs even use a simple thimble as you've pictured and allow the lashings to just stack in the thimble. The thing to be concerned about is the radius you are putting the dux around, and radiusing the lashing holes so they run smooth, and are large enough radius if the lanyard is also dux, which Pixie's are not.
    Last edited by MattSplatt; 08-17-2018 at 04:38 AM. Reason: removed 'smaller' than Colligo, as they're not

I always called them thimbles. Good idea!

I don't know what chain is most common. You could ask Whitworths what they sell mostly. 8 and 10mm are certainly common. Bronze blocks are a good idea. I'd prefer Tufnol shells to wood as it lasts so well. You could make bronze drain grates, flat vents, drawer knobs. Cleats and fairleads will always sell.

Rick

PS Tell Tom not to thread too lightly or things will come apart.

Yeah, they are thimbles too. Or at least somewhere between thimbles and deadeyes. Proper deadeyes are round.

I always wondered what deadeyes were.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You know what really pisses me off? You spend hundreds of dollars on a marine radio and the shiny little mounting plate for the microphone turns out to be ****ty electroplated steel. It starts to rust in about 3 weeks. If you can make them in bronze I'll take 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A dimensioned drawing is required.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by MattSplatt View Post
    Yeah, they are thimbles too. Or at least somewhere between thimbles and deadeyes. Proper deadeyes are round.
    The round ones are easy to make out of copper pipe using 2 ballpein hammers as formers.
    Grateful Dead

You need very good hand-eye coordination.

Rick