Page 1386 of 1386 FirstFirst ... 38688612861336137613851386
Results 48,476 to 48,507 of 48507

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Yikes!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    In that Westhaven clip is the tall rig over on the right being blown into power lines?!?!?
    No it's light flare from water drops on the camera. Scary enough without high voltage powerlines. At least I hope not.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Sorry to hear you're not well, Gary!

My boat engine isn't well either. Don't ask, I don't want to talk about it. i want to throw money at it and pretend it never happened.

But I do want to ask if anybody over there has had any experience or heard anything about these guys? dieselworks.com.au They offer an exchange Kubota D850, the same as mine, for $1850. Unbelievably cheap. I spoke to them and they sound OK, but the price seems too low for comfort. Should I be nervous?

Cheers,
    John.

Arrgh engines!!!!

Kubota, I am told, are not only the best Diesel engine of the day but the most common. Maybe it's possible for a high quality recondition to be done cheaply? I have been told that kubota parts are really cheap.
    Is it marinised?
    If it's not a marine engine, will your gear box line up? One would think it should.....

Beta is a marinised Kubota. Nanni's are as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My experience with engines: grazed knuckles, hideously expensive parts, hands black with perma-grease, always installed in the most inaccessible manner possible, just barely nearly almost started when the battery gave up the ghost, attached to fouled and drag inducing props, a lethal missile should it ever depart its engine beds in a seaway, smelly diesel, etc etc etc... therefore deleted my engine budget and fattened up the sail budget.

Now, I don't suppose someone could give me a tow...

No it's light flare from water drops on the camera. Scary enough without high voltage powerlines. At least I hope not.
    Looks like a mast going Zap to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Arrgh engines!!!!

Kubota, I am told, are not only the best Diesel engine of the day but the most common. Maybe it's possible for a high quality recondition to be done cheaply? I have been told that kubota parts are really cheap.
    The parts are cheap. Comes from massive volume, I guess.

Is it marinised?
    No, I have pulled the marinising bits off mine, and will re-use them.

Thanks for the input.

I was hoping somebody over there had some experience with the company, but it was a long shot!

I did speak with the boss there, and he sounds OK. He claims they replace the liners, pistons, the whole lot.

Cheers,
    John.
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Probably worth a shot then. I reckon Kanga, who make one of the diggers I have, were offering new replacement engines, fitted for about $4000 a couple of months ago. They run a 25hp 3 cyl Kubota.

Seems like everyone here just about has had to get a new engine in the last year or two. Certainly hope I'm not next in line.

1998 Sydney to Hobart?

Rick

Spot the 50' cat doing the backflip right over the jetty, top left of the screen at about five seconds - thats the one featured on the news last week. It was mentioned here, back when it happened.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    1998 Sydney to Hobart?

Rick
    Probably I didn't note the year.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Spot the 50' cat doing the backflip right over the jetty, top left of the screen at about five seconds - thats the one featured on the news last week. It was mentioned here, back when it happened.

Pete
    Also note the largish boat flipping over the dock behind the emergency services/police boat.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

1998 Sydney to Hobart?

Rick
    Yep. Boat is the first Sailors with Disabilities, an Adams design of about 50 ft LOA.

Greetings to the Antipodean crowd! I'm looking for opportunities to see boats/yards, etc in the northern NSW area next month. I'm already looking forward to the Maritime Museum in Ballina and was wondering if there was much to be seen between there and Coffs Harbour? We'll be in Lismore on the 13th for my daughter's graduation and have some time after to wander a bit.

Trawlers at Yamba, Hugh, but not much else boatwise that I can think of along there. There's a little wooden furniture and timber supplies shop at Ulmarra, on the Clarence River. There are plenty of boats at Coffs, of course. Yamba is the only harbour between Coffs and Ballina.

Rick

It's been a little too long since I've had a chance to visit the boat. But happy to report that mooring lines are all good, bilge is dusty, engine fires up immediately and expels water from the exhaust. Interior still smells of fresh paint. Bliss.

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

Proud dad moment. Our son Jamie is producing and performing in one of his shows that he wrote, Midnight Sun, in Canberra Friday 13th September.

https://youtu.be/6_BbFBROCmM
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Trawlers at Yamba, Hugh, but not much else boatwise that I can think of along there. There's a little wooden furniture and timber supplies shop at Ulmarra, on the Clarence River. There are plenty of boats at Coffs, of course. Yamba is the only harbour between Coffs and Ballina.

Rick
    There are a few boats and boat places along Emmigrant Creek in Ballina. Haven't been down there in years though.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Seems like everyone here just about has had to get a new engine in the last year or two. Certainly hope I'm not next in line.
    So do I, although that means we're wishing some other poor sod is next in line, right? A bit unkind of us, really.

My failure is related to the original installation. I foolishly assumed on Day 1, when I bought the boat, that the raw water intake and exhaust configuration were properly designed, and so I merely replaced the motor. Actually, both intake and exhaust were just wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Badly wrong. Incorrect. Designed to fail. Almost intended to wreck the motor. And they did. Twice. Coz I'm a slow learner. I fixed the exhaust the first time (the pong box was mounted up under the cockpit floor, above the engine!), but not the intake. Then I fixed both, but she was already toast really, low compression. When she got hard to start I tested the compression and it was awful.

Speaking a few months ago to John Gaunt, well-known WA sailor and previous owner of Fair Maid, I mentioned trouble keeping my engine from getting wet inside and being destroyed, and he replied, "Oh, we had constant trouble with the motor, rebuilt it two or three times..."

Bl**dy hell! So he's a slow learner as well. He owned Fair Maid for maybe ten years.

I really don't get it. You'd think that people would consult experts and make sure it's right. Well, maybe that's harder than it sounds. I tried to do that, consulting Bay Marine, the embedded marine services outfit at Royal Perth Yacht Club, and they really displayed that they had no clue. Maybe the only way to be really confident is to buy a new motor and pay the supplier to install it. I reckon they'd get it right, since they'd be on the hook for it.

Cheers,
    John.

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Proud dad moment. Our son Jamie is producing and performing in one of his shows that he wrote, Midnight Sun, in Canberra Friday 13th September.

Fantastic, Bruce!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

(the pong box was mounted up under the cockpit floor, above the engine!)
    Thats what killed my old one too.
    I installed mine, but i had a shipwright look it over as part of the survey and he was cool with the new installation.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Thats what killed my old one too.
    I installed mine, but i had a shipwright look it over as part of the survey and he was cool with the new installation.
    How bizarre is that! And how very incompetent these people can be. What an idiot. I'm struggling to imagine any other industry in which something so vital, and common, could be so little understood.

Bay Marine simply didn't have a protocol for designing a cooling or an exhaust system. The chief mechanic merely pulled out a catalogue and tried to sell me a water lock muffler with an actual check valve in it, to replace the one I already had ( a Vetus style one) which was perfectly fine (but mounted high instead of low). I guess it would have solved one problem, but only while the check valve worked perfectly. After that, disaster again.

Fantastic, Bruce!

Not sure if this sort of show is your cup of tea John but there's every chance it will come to Perth. Jamie's company now has a local person in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne, and we've recently hosted a Perth person who could be the key to producing a tour to WA. There's a couple of shows in the 'Myth and Music' theme already, with several more to be added. So far Midnight Sun (Icelandic) and Once and Future (English).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Had an Oh Sh!t moment today. Reversed back out of a parking spot to behind a parked vehicle, only to have that vehicle suddenly reverse towards my door. He stopped not much more than about 3 inches from my door...scared him as much as it did me.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Yep. Boat is the first Sailors with Disabilities, an Adams design of about 50 ft LOA.
    Speaking of the 1998 race, I saw that the winner is for sale. Impressive history for a boat to have, must be a future classic.
    http://vicsail.com/used-boats/hick-3...ffshore-racer/

BTW Bruce, congrats to your son.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.

Very cool, totally beyond me how anybody remembers all their lines for something like that!
    I think we are heading up to Canberra from Batemans Bay a day or two after that, but that is the part of our Sydney to Melbourne road trip, where the booked and paid for accommodation ends, and the plan becomes vague and amorphous. It all gels again several days later at Philip Island and the Mornington Peninsula - thought we'd better have something sorted for that end of the trip, as it's the school holidays by then, and I have no idea how busy things get.

Pete

How bizarre is that! And how very incompetent these people can be. What an idiot. I'm struggling to imagine any other industry in which something so vital, and common, could be so little understood.

Bay Marine simply didn't have a protocol for designing a cooling or an exhaust system. The chief mechanic merely pulled out a catalogue and tried to sell me a water lock muffler with an actual check valve in it, to replace the one I already had ( a Vetus style one) which was perfectly fine (but mounted high instead of low). I guess it would have solved one problem, but only while the check valve worked perfectly. After that, disaster again.
    You mean like the building industry? The same bunch of professionals who designed and built the roof (you know, that thing that is meant to keep the rain out of your house) on our conservatory, with no fall, and inadequate flashings, AND had it signed off by a council building inspector.
    Fortunately, it only leaked when caked in melting snow, or with wind driven rain from the opposite of the prevailing direction - both pretty rare. I chose to not avail myself of the expensive and incompetent consent and inspection regime, when I rebuilt it with both of those major design flaws rectified. Guess what, it hasn't leaked since.
    If you want something done right......

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    Speaking of the 1998 race, I saw that the winner is for sale. Impressive history for a boat to have, must be a future classic.
    http://vicsail.com/used-boats/hick-3...ffshore-racer/
    Not the prettiest boat but .... wow! what a great boat! And only driven around the buoys on Sundays .....

Congratulations to the son Bruce!

Rick

Bizzarre and frustrating. Might as well just get advice on the internet.

A Winslow 29’7” design joining our little Tweed Gaffer fleet in the near future .Interesting boat she was originally built in New Guinea .

[IMG][/IMG]Local artist Dave Walsh has replaced a number of frames and is presently rebuilding the inside after she fell of a cradle in Brisbane, where her spars where also broken.