Page 1095 of 1100 FirstFirst ... 9559599510451085109410951096 ... LastLast
Results 38,291 to 38,325 of 38473

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Hooper sails are still in operation in Melbourne, but I'm not aware of whether they only make dinghy sails in house or larger stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, the better local sailmakers order them from overseas then make any necessary adjustments here. I don't know of anyone making yacht sails from scratch in Australia. I do know it can be risky ordering them directly from overseas, although cheaper, as it's common for sails to be made incorrectly and to need adjustments.

Rick
    There was a loft in Largs up to a couple of years ago. Had Romana's sail made there. He's either moved or given up. Very good sailmaker, cheaper than the OS s freight.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

You'll find that cruising sails are still pretty standard. You need to decide on fully battened or not, but fully battened is really better. With the genoa you'll need to decide whether you want a reefing option or not. They can make them with one reefed position, for the furler. I'll be surprised if they're made locally but I do like surprises.

Rick

I certainly prefer a fully battened main. JB has a rope in a pocket running down just behind the luff of the headsail on Riada, and says it holds the sail shape quite well when partially furled.

You'll find that cruising sails are still pretty standard. You need to decide on fully battened or not, but fully battened is really better. With the genoa you'll need to decide whether you want a reefing option or not. They can make them with one reefed position, for the furler. I'll be surprised if they're made locally but I do like surprises.

Rick
    Well I've emailed the local loft, Alegayter Sails. It looks from their website as though they still build sails on site, so I guess we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I certainly prefer a fully battened main. JB has a rope in a pocket running down just behind the luff of the headsail on Riada, and says it holds the sail shape quite well when partially furled.
    It's not just shape. It's strength - a lot of new sails on furlers have been ruined by partial furling.

I hope they do make the sails there.

Rick

Phil, don’t know if these guys may be any value to you, being in Brisbane, but may be worth an approach to compare costs. Johnno put me on to them and they’re pricing seemed very competitive and they were great guys to deal with:
    http://www.switchsails.com.au/Switch_Sails/Home.html
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Adrian is a pleasant fella, they made my JIM sails ... and did a good job.

I got a rough preliminary quote for Kathleen Gee's sails..... about 600 squ ft total. Min 194 squ ft.

Hi Peter,

Conservatively high so we don't have any shocks you'd be looking at $3500 for the lot.

Depending on how it's set up we might be able to save some on the headsails. Hanks and no furling is cheaper. The main would be about $1900. Which is most of it.

Adrian

Last edited by PeterSibley; 07-14-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's not just shape. It's strength - a lot of new sails on furlers have been ruined by partial furling.

I hope they do make the sails there.

Rick
    Also I imagine it would depend on the length of the boom WB with her 5 m boom would not be suitable for a fully battened roller furling main in my opinion.
    I do however like her fully battened main since the battens assist and manage the sail when dropping, while also providing that extra bit of power and shape when sailing.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Adrian is a pleasant fella, they made my JIM sails ... and did a good job.

I got a rough preliminary quote for Kathleen Gee's sails..... about 600 squ ft total. Min 194 squ ft.

Hi Peter,

Conservatively high so we don't have any shocks you'd be looking at $3500 for the lot.

Depending on how it's set up we might be able to save some on the headsails. Hanks and no furling is cheaper. The main would be about $1900. Which is most of it.

Adrian

Thanks Peter, mine come to about 1000 square feet I think. And I wouldn't think the cost/area equation is linear, but who knows. Might give them a try too.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Also I imagine it would depend on the length of the boom WB with her 5 m boom would not be suitable for a fully battened roller furling main in my opinion.
    I do however like her fully battened main since the battens assist and manage the sail when dropping, while also providing that extra bit of power and shape when sailing.
    We are talking about roller furling headsails Tom. And fully battened vs short battened main. However, my main boom is 5.5 metres and has roller furling at the moment. If anything the full battens help, but roller reefing on a main is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Phil, don’t know if these guys may be any value to you, being in Brisbane, but may be worth an approach to compare costs. Johnno put me on to them and they’re pricing seemed very competitive and they were great guys to deal with:
    http://www.switchsails.com.au/Switch_Sails/Home.html
    Thanks Greg, can't hurt to inquire.

We are talking about roller furling headsails Tom. And fully battened vs short battened main. However, my main boom is 5.5 metres and has roller furling at the moment. If anything the full battens help, but roller reefing on a main is crap.
    David's 38' Halberg Rasy had a new genoa on roller furling made last year. The sailmaker at Newcastle Marina measured it etc. but it was made by North somewhere overseas and adjusted here. It has a capacity for one reefing point. Of course with a furler you can wind it in or out anywhere you want, and many people do. The problem is that the sail just isn't built to take that - no sail is, so the sail distorts if you try it, and can be ruined. As sails are reefed in stronger winds, this sort of damage, I'm told, is pretty common. Even where there's a dedicated reefing provision, as in David's case, the sailmaker advises that it shouldn't be taken to the limit as it still risks wrecking the sail.

Masina has no furler. I'd like to have one - I'd like to have two really, but I don't have enough cows to sell so that's not going to happen. But the reason I don't really lose too much sleep over my cow shortage, is that I do appreciate having a range of headsails and I think if I had a furling genoa, I'd be lazy and just end up using that. On the other hand, if I had a furling headsail, I could leave the inner forestay rigged and gybe and tack without having to manually tack the headsail by going forward.

It would cost me about $6000 to put a furling headsail on Masina by the time I bought the furler and had the genoa adapted to suit. Sadly, we only have room for one dog and some very small fish and I think the neighbours might complain if I ran the 14 cows I'd need on their lawns. Hmmm ...

Rick

Good point about sailing with a semi furled headsail. JB has been very happy with his. He says it's good from 5 to 50 knots, and I'm sure he's sailed through the full range. His sails are a cruising laminate, tough, but surprisingly OK to handle. I was very impressed by it. The headsail is not huge, I guess 100%.

Balia has a staysail as well. So a better option for me with Dacron might be to fully furl the Genoa and raise the staysail when the wind gets up. But it's easy to get lazy, particularly when the staysail is hanked.

From what I know, that would be a better option. But it would be really good to talk to JB before you order your sail - if it's right that you can use the furled genoa without damaging it, that would be a sail well worth having! I'll also have a chat to our sailmaker and see if he knows anything about a cruising laminate that could take that role.

Masina's very easily driven. She sails well with just the staysail, no main, in heavy wind. But we don't sail in those conditions much! Most of the time, the inner forestay is just in the way so I have it loose and stored out of the way.

Rick

Batteries - I need new ones. Masina's two batteries are lead acid and have lasted 5 years. My inclination is to replace them with similar. They're the cheapest and seem fine. But is there a better option - AGM, lead crystal? I'm not convinced.

Rick

I agree regarding the roller reefing main, tried it very briefly on my Alberg 30 but replaced it with slab reeding quick smart.

Phil, there is a sailmaker at the squadron, don't know the name but I'm sure google will help
    the invisible man........

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Phil, there is a sailmaker at the squadron, don't know the name but I'm sure google will help
    He's the guy who made Romana's sail. Sheila has details, and will send to Phil via Facebook. I would recommend him. He was at Largs. Hopefully will get the details up here too. Sheila might SMS them to me later today if she reads this.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Bravo sails. Luke Burrow. At yacht squadron. 0411 618 633 ; 0488 410 862.

Paperback E-book

Thanks Bruce and Max, I'll give him a go too. Rick, I agree. AGM seem to need different charging profiles, I don't know how that goes with an alternator, and any existing shore or solar systems. 5 years or so seems pretty standard for lead acid, mine must be a bit older than that now and still going. Which is good because they are many and huge. Therefore expensive.

Phil, I don't think AGM require a specific charge profile, Gel does. I put a marine AGM on Ghost, larger than necessary because they're not a cranking battery, not cheap, from Nth Haven Marine & Fuel.

Morning Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
    Phil, I don't think AGM require a specific charge profile, Gel does. I put a marine AGM on Ghost, larger than necessary because they're not a cranking battery, not cheap, from Nth Haven Marine & Fuel.
    Thats right, I muddled my acronyms.

A belated good morning Jeff!

I like to go and visit Balia on days like this. Gale warnings and 50 mm of rain forecast. Nice and cosy in the cabin as she moves ever so gently to the gusts. A hot coffee, a bit of something for lunch and a lie down with a good book. Not bad at all.

She's a big boat !
    Grateful Dead

Weather maps certainly look 'interesting' in your direction Phil.

Warmed up a bit today with a NE wind, took a turn on the Sailfish. Water not so warm, and not another boat on our large bit of the bay.

KI ferry cancelled.

I hope you're planning on having better weather there for my return.

Paperback E-book

A hard beam reach down Base Strait.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I hope you're planning on having better weather there for my return.

Probably not if you are planning on getting here before about late October.

It's raining so much today I reckon I could just about sail Balia right up to the back door.

Henry and I built the building frame for his 7'6" Nutshell pram today. Still trying to convince him to sign up here and start a thread, but he seems a bit shy about getting involved with a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

Last edited by Phil Y; 07-18-2017 at 02:14 AM.

You know people...not all people go on about junk rigs not having windward ability but I had my sail up most of the time, whereas most BM rigs I saw were motoring. Even when they had a favourable wind. Junk riggers call them stick insects.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford