Page 1094 of 1114 FirstFirst ... 94594994104410841093109410951104 ... LastLast
Results 38,256 to 38,290 of 38978

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Just a quick trip north to go for a swim at Magnetic Island while my parents are staying there. I'm trying to avoid flying, but so far all the other options are vastly more expensive than flying, which is both bizarre and sad. A quick look on imoova shows a couple of Brisbane -> Cairns options but without fuel covered.

From memory it seems like only the long haul backload type trips covered fuel, like Darwin to Brisbane. The ones that are popular with tourists and backpackers don’t seem to.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I've used a camper relocation website a couple of times, a few years ago now. Wasn't the one mentioned above, but can't recall what it was. Google should help. I think we did an Adelaide Brisbane and a Sydney Adelaide. Fuel paid for.

Rick (and others affected by PhotoBlockit) have you seen this new offering? (I posted about it on the main PB thread)

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...81#post5283581

Thanks Matt, appreciated. Unfortunately, I can't forsee a future in which I'd have time to retrieve the urls for the hundreds of photos I've contributed to this forum.

Rick

Default Re: Oz Connection

Sleet, hail, and a few minutes of actual fair dinkum snow today. It is bloody miserable outside, woodburner is cranking inside. Christchurch seems to be in a bit of a Goldilocks zone, and quite often misses the worst of the weather when it turns really feral. North and south of us have been hit much harder.
    All Cook Strait ferry sailings cancelled, the last one to cross apparently came close to running out of chunder bags. Yech!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks Matt, appreciated. Unfortunately, I can't forsee a future in which I'd have time to retrieve the urls for the hundreds of photos I've contributed to this forum.

Rick
    I with you Rick. I just did the first six or seven pages of my build thread, just pasted the photos in from the blog without having to do a link. But that was bad enough.

Watching with interest the wanderings of Gary north and Bruce south. Even with their dramas I'm very jealous.

Mal
    Quest

Moving slowly towards a Welsford Sundowner.

Hobart Wooden Boat Festival 2017, or maybe 2019ish??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...undowner-build
    http://sundownerbuild.blogspot.com.au/

One yellow trailer almost finished, it looks long doesn't it. A trick of the camera really, about 6m over all. The long beam is the tilting part, it slots in between the two smaller sections, the vertical plate to the D handle with a 3/4 bolt as a pivot.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very yellow, you wont lose it in a hurry

That's the idea, people may not drive over it either.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Very yellow, you wont lose it in a hurry
    Citron. Needs a french name, Remorque de bateau

If you lose it off the end of the ramp - which I'm sure you would never do - you'll be able to find it in the mud. :-)

Hmmmm.... this makes me wonder whether I should paint my wooden boat's trailer with a wood grain finish.

I know I should have glued red cedar veneer to the steel but I'm just lazy !
    Grateful Dead

Actually what I should have done was use 2'' x 1 1/2" RHS instead of 3'' x 1 1/2", all the galv trailer fittings are designed to clamp around 2'' x 1 1/2".... so I had to fabricate all the bits myself then paint them. Slow work.
    Grateful Dead

Good to know for next time.

Lovely trailer nice and bright ,are you matching the boat. with the trailer paint.

No, JIM will be green.
    Grateful Dead

Just back from a shopping trip to buy materials for number 3 son to build a 7'6" Nutshell pram for his year 10 school project. Trying to talk him into registering here and starting a thread on it.

Just back from a shopping trip to buy materials for number 3 son to build a 7'6" Nutshell pram for his year 10 school project. Trying to talk him into registering here and starting a thread on it.
    I'm impressed, quite a project!
    Grateful Dead

Great project! Good luck!

Rick

Green and yellow - very Australian! I'll be interested to see how you get on with the tilting trailer. The trailer I had did the same, and I think it really needed more keel rollers to stop the forefoot of the stem dropping into the gaps as the trailer tilted, but the boat started to float off level.
    The other thing is that you need a chain or something, to limit how far it tilts, especially for recovery. Otherwise the stem hits the back roller and just pushes the tail of the trailer down, so it doesn' t carry any weight. Easier to see when you try it out, than it is to explain.
    Suffice to say, I found the tilt function moderately useful when launching on gently sloping ramps, and far less useful than I thought it would be for recovery.

Pete

I think I have 8 rollers for the keel Pete and as for the tilt it's definitely going to be a learning experience.
    Grateful Dead

I think I only had five rollers, so you're already better off.

Did I mention we have 21 cows now, all doing well and putting on weight. Half are ours and half belong to the friend who owns the land. So I got a couple of quotes for new sails. Seems sails are mostly made in huge modern lofts full of computers and stuff in Thailand these days. Anyway, looks like around $9000 for a new Genoa, main and mizzen. At $3.50 a kilo, and putting on one kilo a day, that's about 9 months away.

Yes, the better local sailmakers order them from overseas then make any necessary adjustments here. I don't know of anyone making yacht sails from scratch in Australia. I do know it can be risky ordering them directly from overseas, although cheaper, as it's common for sails to be made incorrectly and to need adjustments.

Rick

I sent off two requests for quotes, just to get an idea of what I might be in for. Both direct to Thai sailmakers. Quantum and Rolly Tasker. In both cases I got a phone and email response same day from their Australian agents based in Sydney. I think in states where there are lots of boats the agents are happy to come and do the measuring as part of the deal. Here in Adelaide I guess there are not enough boats to support agents. I'd like to get a pro to do my measuring before I actually get any sails made because my efforts with measuring anything are notoriously unreliable.

That is a Moonique way to pay for new sails Phil. My approach to pay for my new staysail is also land based .After working like slaves for the last four weeks Nellie and I have given our Canungra property a makeover inside and out and have just listed it with a realtor. Happy days are just around the corner��

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, the better local sailmakers order them from overseas then make any necessary adjustments here. I don't know of anyone making yacht sails from scratch in Australia. I do know it can be risky ordering them directly from overseas, although cheaper, as it's common for sails to be made incorrectly and to need adjustments.

Rick
    Small boat sails yes, big stuff ,no.
    Grateful Dead

Good luck Tom, hope that goes well.

Good luck Tom, hope that goes well.
    Seconded !
    Grateful Dead

Yes, good luck with that Tom!

Yes, getting it measured locally is pretty important as it really helps if they did the measuring when stuff-ups happen. If there's no one locally for you, an alternative might be to send old sails that do fit to a local sailmaker or fly someone in from Sydney or Melbourne or Perth. I'd suggest Newcastle but that'd mean two extra cows instead of just one, and you might not have enough grass.

Rick

I'm looking to get new sails a little bigger than the old, as Balia is somewhat underdone in the sail department. I'm sure there'd be an Adelaide sailmaker who could do the measuring, no need to fly someone in I don't think.

But you said .... That's good, I thought there would have been sailmakers there! I think you'll find that they're all agents for larger sailmaking companies now - North etc.

I had a local guy in Nelson make a yankee for Masina. He made it from scratch. He makes sails for many traditional boats in NZ but I'm pretty sure he goes through ..... company I can't remember the name of ...... for regular, large sails.

Rick

Actually there is at least one local sailmaker, who actually makes sails here. I had him make me a set for a big trimaran I had 20 odd years ago, still seems to be in business. He was an accountant, who decided sail making was more fun. Invested in some decent equipment, and in particular a computer driven cutting machine, so his sails are cad designed and cut. He did good work. I should get a quote from him, just thought thenThai lofts would be cheaper, but with the A$ down again, who knows? And a quick google comes up with a list of local sailmakers, I'm sure any of them could come down and do the measuring, and probably make some detail suggestions which would never occur to me.

Im actually woefully ignorant about modern sails and sail control. I grew up with my dads boat, very traditional gaff rig. Balia is 100% 1970s cruising technology, and heavily done at that. A non-competitive Hartley 16 is about as hi tech as I've ever been. So there's probably a heck of a lot that would be useful to know in specifying new sails that I just don't know.

Id kind of hate to spend $10,000 on a new set of sails and then have someone say, Oh, you didn't go for the Hewman Spankler wooble doffer? That's unusual.