Thread: Don't forget the sunblock!

Default Don't forget the sunblock!

Having sailed since I was yet to be born, I suppose I have had more than my share of time at sea, crossing many expanses of salt water and often spending weeks at sea! For this reason I have had more than my share of UV exposure which coupled with a Scandinavian complexion has told me that I should have worn a hat more often, long sleeves and sailing gloves to name a few protections against UV exposure. I would place a very good sun block skin protection lotion at the head of the list. Now in my mid eighties I am paying dearly for my savior fare as to the cumulative effects of sitting in the sun!

I can add four years of being an ocean life guard and also being a pro skier to the sun that has soaked my hide! Now it is spots of damaged skin that can become cancerous and so must be removed by what is called: Moe's Surgery. Till now it has been carving on my scalp and backs of hands by a plastic surgeon that first made me aware of the danger of sun exposure to human skin. Last week it was on my face and I am not exited by having part of my cheek removed and the scar disguiesed by skillful work by my doctor. Not a whole lot of fun in exchange for my own stupidity of not avoiding sun burn and lack of protection from it! So my friends all I can say is wear a good sun block when you venture out, even for a short time at sea, on a hike or on the ski slopes! Just a little precaution can save a lot of hassle for you in later life!
    Wishing you all well!
    Jay aka Bird

Default Re: Don't forget the sunblock!

(From a delightful photo essay by Nolan Conway for the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/20...lide-HQJ4.html)

Nothing constructive to add here beyond an affirmation. Jay is obviously completely correct. In the last few years I've taken to carrying a stick of the new, solid sunscreen in my PFD pocket when sailing my dinghy. It can't leak, makes no mess, is water proof (a plus when you sail like I do), and best of all, I remember to reapply it every time my hand goes into my pocket. On the downside it's tacky and doesn't feel that great on your face. But I bet it beats having part of your cheek removed.
    Thanks for the reminder, Jay. I'm going to stock up on the stuff.

James

I like hats, long sleeves and long pants.

Sorry you'er having to undergo that, Jay! Our daughter lives in Australia so we're fairly careful of sun exposure, at least when we're visiting down there. Here in Oregon I wear it when sailing, but most of the time we can't even see the sun. Lately it's due to the smoke! I like the idea of the solid stick sunscreen. I'll have to go on a hunt for that!

I just hope that the torture I have had to endure in later life will be a sign post to all who venture out in the noonday sun who are not mad dogs or Englishmen but, just those who wish to have a good time getting a tan! I just had forty stitches around my nose removed yesterday which was not a lot of fun even though the nurse was cute! It was all for a spot that was the size of a Birds' Eye Frozen Pea!
    My friend Tom Morey who invented the Morey Boogie Board for riding the surf tells me that eating fish every day can ward off such needs! But having permanent tuna breath is a side effect of that kind of preventive cure!
    Jay

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I have also spent more time in the sun than most.
    I never use sunscreen.
    Unpronouncible chemicals on skin are going to prevent cancer?
    I have used this on a few spots...hippie eggplant extract...

This summer I started wearing long sleeve sun protective shirts. The sleeves are extra long with thumb holes to keep them covering the backs of one's hands. I also have a sun blocking neck/face tube thing. One of my shirts is a hoodie which does a good job blocking sun on my neck and sides of face. I also use sunblock cream.

Medicare actually pays for an annual skin check by a dermatologist. I see mine like clockwork.

Jeff

Yup. What he/they said.

I’ve come to call it my own personal weight loss program. The Dr removes little bits of me periodically. Personally, I don’t want anymore removed from my nose... pretty soon it’ll really start to affect my movie star appearance... They can take all they want from other places.

Well jpatrick and Dryfeet I am sorry that you are in the same class as I am! Here is another thing to be aware of. One of my very good friends who is a world class surfer and well known surf board maker never wore sunglasses for eye protection when on the beach or anyother time. He now is almost legally blind due to his failure to wear eye protection. Say what you like but, I have been in the sun one way or another for much more time than the average person does and while my problem along with that of my friend is more extreme than the most get, why take a chance?
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 09-19-2020 at 12:42 PM.