Page 1226 of 1259 FirstFirst ... 2267261126117612161225122612271236 ... LastLast
Results 42,876 to 42,910 of 44061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

There's something about keels on rowboats that escapes me. I think they're unnecessary. I took the keel off my tender to make it easier to drag across the mud. Rows fine without it. We also left the keel off the tender we built a couple of years ago and it rows perfectly. Keels might be hood for dragging dinghies over rocks but otherwise, they just seem to impede launching etc.

Rick

I like some keel because it makes the boat track. I have a RIB and that doesn't ... what an absolute pig it is in many respects , one being the drift/ slide in coming up to the boat. And for towing a tender its pretty important just to stop it winding around behind in a seaway.

I know inflatables are horrible to row but I find our keel-less tenders tow really well. I don't think the keel does really help with towing. If anything, tenders with keels seem to track more and want to run off at an unfortunate angle. But it's all impression, on my part. It would be interesting for someone to test .....

Rick

I understand what you're saying, I've had interesting conversations on the same thing with power launches. Some established designs get modified here by having the keel trimmed right back or off so they can slide on a wave rather than 'dig in' and trip. Makes a better boat by all accounts , but it leaves the prop and rudder(s) exposed .

I've towed tenders everywhere since the '80's and in some really serious weather ,and never lost one. We had a couple of close calls in pretty extreme situations ,So that colours my opinion on that I suppose. Friends have lost several , including a couple of inflatable boat disasters ( one I've written about here several times hahahahaha, the old flip and paravane down below the boat trick...and then hold the stern up into the wind while the boat , a 42 ft cruiser, gets knocked flat hahaha.)
    Anyway , what I'm saying is some keel is good but too much causes other handling issues. I like it so they take up the rocker from the mid point to the transom , but thats about all.
    Last edited by John B; 07-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Okay, we'll beat him up as well. But why?
    Rick
    If we are ever going to have some kind of haul of Mirror’s (Raid ) some sort of persuasion will be required to get Duncan motivated to sail the mighty Pippin.

Thanks yeah all I am considering the CB. Also I have started a Tammie Norrie thread since I may need some additional help from any TN owners.

Right! We need to knock this obsession with earning a living out of him quick smart! We should start by kidnapping a chook and making him an unrefusable offer.

Rick

Speaking of earning a living I picked up a new to me lawnmower today. I was the only bidder at auction. Paid $2400 which I think is ok. They seem to be about $10000 new. Its showing 180 hours on the clock. Not as extreme as Duncan's I don't think but 4wd and seems reasonably able. It's smaller tan my current mower but probably more efficient I think. I don't actually do lawn mowing jobs, just got it to use at home but thinking I might put it to work. It's got funny steering. The whole thing bends in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how many internal combustion engines do you own now? i surprised myself the other day when reading about electric chainsaws, realising i had 12 including boat and cars. only 2 are 2-stroke tho.
    battery powered things will be slow to take hold in our place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
    how many internal combustion engines do you own now? i surprised myself the other day when reading about electric chainsaws, realising i had 12 including boat and cars. only 2 are 2-stroke tho.
    More than I can count. Ive deleted some cars, so that brings it down a bit. But with vehicles of various sorts, boats, diggers, mowers, small garden tools, generators, must be 20 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    If we are ever going to have some kind of haul of Mirror’s (Raid ) some sort of persuasion will be required to get Duncan motivated to sail the mighty Pippin.

Thanks yeah all I am considering the CB. Also I have started a Tammie Norrie thread since I may need some additional help from any TN owners.
    I’d love to see Duncan take part in the next Tumby-Fingle race.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Reading Salt on the Wind, The sailing life of Allen and Sharie Farrell by Dan Rubin. What a great read, this couple thought nothing of building a 40 ft plus yacht with nothing more than a few hand tools.
    Thank you for lending it to me Tom...only a few pages to go.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Cool and windy today. Been a bit crook the last few days so taking it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Reading Salt on the Wind, The sailing life of Allen and Sharie Farrell by Dan Rubin. What a great read, this couple thought nothing of building a 40 ft plus yacht with nothing more than a few hand tools.

The Golden Globe race reenactment has commenced.

Rick

Enjoy and pass it on to Peter if he is interested.

Shame I never really sat down with Allen despite saying hello regularily. Without a doubt we had much in common but I guess I was overly focussed on getting the Alberg ready for my West Coast and Caribbean adventure.

I'm going to see if I can get Kerry to read it next.

I've always admired the Farrells, for life style and skills both.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I wonder how one of these would go on Redwing?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-400W-...r=441839162122

Looks cool, I want one.

Looks a bit big for a small boat - 900mm dia, 13 Kg wt - but if it lives up to specs it's a lot of power being generated at not much wind required. I'd defs put one on a boat like Balia. If anyone does get one I'd love to hear more about it.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

It looks good, if it actually performs as described.
    Grateful Dead

looks like something from Tellytubbies.

Rick

Looks like a witnwundi weekend coming up in NZ

Rick

Well, this morning, a little old GRP boat sailed into LTP from Sydney, on his way to Cairns. Reminded me that exactly one year ago this morning, Arawana sailed in from Camden Haven and i was able to clear the hallway of all the boat gear and books that had accumulated here awaiting the grand arrival!

Rick

Anyone here from Adelaide need a project or two?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakb...sap/1186223325

Rick

I've cut down. Got to over 20 with a quick run through just then. Probably 25... 'cause I just thought of more. Half a dozen two strokes (and two more, if you include the two stroke diesels in the boat).

edit... just thought of three or four more two strokes.... including the bronze Blaxland, the Penguin... and a couple more cast iron Blaxlands.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Yeah I saw that. Quite nearby. I passed. But if any of youse eastern states guys need anything from here we driving up that way next week.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Looks a bit big for a small boat - 900mm dia, 13 Kg wt - but if it lives up to specs it's a lot of power being generated at not much wind required. I'd defs put one on a boat like Balia. If anyone does get one I'd love to hear more about it.
    Hmm 900mm is a bit big...look good on my house though.

It would be good on your masthead Gary.
    Grateful Dead

Hmm 900mm is a bit big...look good on my house though.

That's probably a good idea. I don't know what your prevailing wind conditions are, or your power needs and existing supply, but on the face of it you could run a few things off the power from a device like that. You'd need a fair bit of storage capacity and an inverter. Note on that ad you posted that shipping is around a hundred. It could be great or nasty though. You can never tell until the kit arrives. But I'd risk it.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Eleven, I think, but only 4 are 2 stroke including 2 outboards I've never uses since coming down here. One being inherited from dad, a sort of Aussie seagull from 1950's Queensland. Brass tank and a bark that requires earmuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Anyone here from Adelaide need a project or two?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/oakb...sap/1186223325

Rick
    Sabres by the look of them.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    That's probably a good idea. I don't know what your prevailing wind conditions are, or your power needs and existing supply, but on the face of it you could run a few things off the power from a device like that. You'd need a fair bit of storage capacity and an inverter. Note on that ad you posted that shipping is around a hundred. It could be great or nasty though. You can never tell until the kit arrives. But I'd risk it.

My present solar setup is just under a KW with 390 ah of storage. Wind here is erratic but sometimes like now we get days in a row. Im not buying it as my savings are aimed at the haul out.

7 IC motors all up, 3 two strokes, (2 chainsaws ad a brush cutter).
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead