Page 1286 of 1288 FirstFirst ... 286786118612361276128512861287 ... LastLast
Results 44,976 to 45,010 of 45061

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Well currently the prognosis seems to be that he will live, but not talk. Could be worse.

Looks like a yacht came to grief on the Tweed bar yesterday, Iíll know more later but it looks like itís broken up.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well currently the prognosis seems to be that he will live, but not talk. Could be worse.
    Sad to hear Phil.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Not fun but better than the alternative, I meet quite a few chaps in similar straits in the radiation oncology waiting room. Melanoma is the master and the the bloody thing metasticistises, a bloke last time with throat cancer from a melanoma on his back.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like a yacht came to grief on the Tweed bar yesterday, I’ll know more later but it looks like it’s broken up.
    Still not a lot known about where he came from, not a local though.
    https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2018/12/0...dktyq9hwpwvoaY

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Not fun but better than the alternative, I meet quite a few chaps in similar straits in the radiation oncology waiting room. Melanoma is the master and the the bloody thing metasticistises, a bloke last time with throat cancer from a melanoma on his back.
    Saw a friend the other day, she has one ugly skin cancer on her shin. In October it looks like a mozzie bit, now it’s raised, black and about the size of a five cent piece. She needs surgery she was told she would have to wait three weeks...I was stunned. It looks like a death sentence to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Still not a lot known about where he came from, not a local though.
    https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2018/12/0...dktyq9hwpwvoaY

Sad sight.

There is a reason I always have WB sail ready when crossing any bar or difficult approach.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Sad sight.

There is a reason I always have WB sail ready when crossing any bar or difficult approach.
    Good idea with your engine! Does it still stop working every time you go near a bar?

Rick

Sad sight.

Same here. I actually like to have the mainsail up if the conditions allow it.

The boat lost on the Tweed had the main cover zipped up, so everything relied on the engine.

Sad sight.

I always have my sail up, particularly when crossing the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good idea with your engine! Does it still stop working every time you go near a bar?

Rick
    I finnally bought a completly new filtration system and it has not given me any trouble since.

Much better!

Rick

I finnally bought a completly new filtration system and it has not given me any trouble since.
    Well done Tom, doing it properly.
    Grateful Dead

Would you use Western Red Cedar on a boat?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Not me - not on a yacht. Underwater it saturates, above the water it rots. It's expensive now, too.

Rick

That's kind of what I thought. Recruit the expensive bit. There's a window maker fine broke. Lots of wrc going to auction.

Good for dinghies and I use lots of it on the house. Where's the auction?

Rick

S'okay in a strip planked boat.

Not unless it's really well sheathed. The planking saturates and becomes soft. It's a common planking material but unsheathed wrc boats are soft and vulnerable. But a sheathed strip-planked wrc boat - great.

Rick

I meant sheathed, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Good for dinghies and I use lots of it on the house. Where's the auction?

Rick
    Gray's online. Adelaide

I'm supposed to be making a desk for Felicity and some kitchen benches so might keep an eye on it

It's too soft for a desk or bench *top*.

It seems to vary. The WRC I knew 30 or 40 years ago was very, very soft. We bought some bifold doors a while back. The WRC they are made of is quite hard..harder I'd say than radiata pine.

WRC varies as to where it is grown (dry or wet) and whether plantation or not. Same for anything!
    Xanthorrea

There were, I believe, some western red cedar + glass IOR boats in the early '80s. One of them attracted a bit of controversy when it drove its stem into an alloy boat, whose owner claimed that the WRC boat (which was of course sheathed) almost exploded into splinters under the forestay tension. It sank but like the other boats of the same type and era I think it's still running around happily and looking good.

So perhaps it's not perfect, but not bad if you allow for a lack of impact resistance when under tension?

I built a single scull racing rowing boat of wrc strips 3.5mm nominal thick, shaped down closer to 3.0mm, glassed with very light fabric inside and out. Very strong, light and surprisingly robust.

Romana has a fair bit of wrc, including cuddy roof, foredeck, forward side decks and some cleats. Big areas are glassed both sides, everything is sealed with epoxy and painted or varnished.

One of the boats I looked at prior to buying Arawana is wrc strip planked. It has lasted decades so far. I think I remember that it's sheathed externally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Op went well but I'm in for a couple of days.

Is that the eye? Heal soon!

And with that Lydia bought a S/H single scull of some repute (Old mate rates) tailored to her weight but in FRP. Sigh. But as the Gels GPS turn em over regularly t'was a steal. BTW we saw some Stamfli and other stunners in both poplar and mahogany for sale in Europe!
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I built a single scull racing rowing boat of wrc strips 3.5mm nominal thick, shaped down closer to 3.0mm, glassed with very light fabric inside and out. Very strong, light and surprisingly robust.

Romana has a fair bit of wrc, including cuddy roof, foredeck, forward side decks and some cleats. Big areas are glassed both sides, everything is sealed with epoxy and painted or varnished.

One of the boats I looked at prior to buying Arawana is wrc strip planked. It has lasted decades so far. I think I remember that it's sheathed externally.

Xanthorrea

Took the trailer for the 28'er in for inspection with its new axles, springs, towbar, jockey wheel, electrics, brakes, lights, breakaway kit, etc. Got knocked back on a couple of minor issues with the work of the guys who put the new springs and towbar on, but all the stuff I did got through much to my relief. There'll be a little while to wait while the VIN is sorted out but then I can hire a big 4WD, go down to Batemans, get the old girl craned on and bring her home for the long restoration.

The plan is to fit a new cockpit, new cabin top, new keel, and new rudder. The cabin top has had each side and half the roof replaced over time and since it's a simple ply shape it will be easy to build a new one and lay thin kauri planking over the sides. The new cockpit will also be a simple ply shape but the design is yet to be decided. The hollow fabricated steel keel may be replaced by a high-aspect bulb that will increase the draft from 4ft 8 to about 5ft 8in. There'll be a second set of spreaders to go on the mast, and the kit for a masthead spinnaker.

This is some of the inspiration - her big sister Ragtime. John also posted pics of her 35' big sister a while back.

Large_Ragtime (1).jpg

Spencer boats may not suit the traditionalist, but there's little doubt that they just slide through the water with a minimum of fuss. I l love to imagine that sort of shape moving through the water, and the harmony it has with the water molecules it gently slips through. Sure, heavy displacement boats and planing types have their own appeal, but the low wavemaking drag of the Spencer type is poetry to my eyes. Here's Ragtime flying in the Sydney-Hobart ten years ago; I think that's Simon who updated the Spencer 35 on the kite sheet.

My boat is much beamier and more of a cruiser/racer but she's already quite quick and fun to sail, and since restoring her is pure indulgence (we love the J/36 which is quite like a big version of the 28'er in some ways) one may as well continue the stream of mods she's already been through.

Having the trailer will change things since it will allow be to bring her home every couple of winters, and also to just tow her up to the Whitsundays and places like that.
    Last edited by Chris249; 12-10-2018 at 02:06 AM.

Is that the eye? Heal soon!
    The other eye...prostate.

The cabin roof on the Pathfinder I built was WRC, sheathed both sides. It ranged from almost chocolate brown, to pale yellow, and correspondingly extremely soft and weak, to far denser - this was off the same board, so sapwood vs heartwood maybe?
    It was eyewateringly expensive, and if I had known how much it was going to be before I had the guy pull it off the rack, I wouldn't have bought it!
    As an aside, years ago, I walked the southern half of the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. There were hundreds of large WRC logs washed up all along what is a rocky coast, and the cedar smell was almost overpowering in places.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Well I can't help thinking I should buy some WRC if it doesn't get any serious bids.

A good use for WRC

Grateful Dead