Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruces 2018 /2019 Winter Stuff

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Bruces 2018 /2019 Winter Stuff

A buddy bought an older 42'Venus Ketch in Bermuda last year and asked me to help him rig it, as it had not been sailed in a few decades.
    I said sure, and I may as well help you to sail it home to the Caribbean. This is about that. So there.
    It's an Airex boat,by the way.

The tiller was put together on the cheeks with a bolt in the back and a bucket of putty,that it could not move up and down, which is a very dangerous situation insofar as one can smash the daylights outta yer fingers on those pins with the boat hoppin around at sea.So, I threw all that crap away.Now the tiller moves up and down.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: Bruces 2018 /2019 Winter Stuff

We spent 10 days in Bermuda, getting her ready,she was rough.
    I spent 3 days just getting the Aries unfrozen while Max, the owner,got dirty with the old Perkins and figuring out all the wacky old systems.
    This Aries is locked up solid. Nutin moves.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 05:35 PM.

Sounds like fun?

The top of the main mast was rotten, so we cut off 10 feet.
    The Perk ran , and broke down a dozen times, but Max kept getting it going again. 20 minutes out of St Georges town cut, a plug blew out the engine and hot motor oil shot out all over the place. Max banged in a wood bung and filled her back up. Hours later, the heat exchanger blew coolant all over the place. Next day, the oil dip stick casing broke off , oil again, Max had to bang in a wood bung into a little hole he could not see everytime we wanted to check the dip stick. By n by, we saw the oil level was rising....yup... lift pump leaking into the crankcase. Max was un farmiliar with a diesel runaway, and I was scared chitless of that, so now we had to stop the mill occasionally and drain the fuel/oil mixture. Max never once lost his temper.There be drama with the La Vac Crapper too you betcha.
    There were 3 of us for the 1000 mile trip,Max's brother ,a professional sailor,joined us. Oh, the alternater was wagging around ,we "stabilized it with strings and wood wedges. One of the times it was shut down, Max asked me if I was worried if it would not start agaion, I said no man , I'm afraid it WILL start again.

Ya see we have hatchets,wrenches,twopoundmaul,...

Brand new liferaft and epirb.Jug of water tied to the raft.
    I'm very fussy about what kind of boat I go to sea on, I'm not a delivery skipper or crew normally.
    I trust the Venus, even a funky one, and I had 100 percent confidence that between the 3 of us, we could get out of any jam.

UNDERWAY! We had good weather,luckily.
    The guys had been busting me for so much time on the Aries...but I was redeemed after the first night. It steered the 20 ton ketch flawlessly.
    And sailing bald, I put the topsl upside down as a mizzen jib.Worked fine reaching.

Bald and with a very barnacled bottom she went well,steady 4 and 5 knots.Dry decks...a blessing.Every one of those deck prisms and every single port lite leak.
    I rearranged the mizzen sheet adding a few more blockies.

We had a hole in the exhaust, but it was SOOOOO close to the air INTAKE , that most of it was being sucked back in. We kinna said, lets just ventilate the saloon.Spare linen went up .
    I do not like this style of aft facing hatch, especially with the skirt things.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Sounds like fun?
    Hoo Boy ! The brothers are under 30,I'm 65,and we are all partiers. Half hot the whole time.
    10 days to Antigua, where I got off to fetch my own boat, the lads were joined by a few ladies and we rendezvoued in Carriacou in a few weeks.

There she is... my darling....

I actually looked on the wrong side of the boat to check for the diesel pumping water...so used to rhe other boat.

300 miles south....

Ahhhh...clean boat,dry bunks.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Rethinking life choices right now...
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

By the time Jan and I got to Carriacou, the lads had the boat hauled, masts out and Max's bro went back to his job.
    I had Max and his friends grind the bottom. A really crappy job, but one I assured him , he would never need or want to do again

One advantage of the third world boatyard, we hooked up a blower and sent the old bottom paint and about 20 gallons of bondo to hell.I urged the guys to grind aggressivly,not being a wood boat. We built a new skin with WEST resin,WEST with 407,Interlux 2000. We used 15 gallons of epoxy on the hull.

Good thing too, cuz there were several spots that needed re glassing, being an amateur built boat from the git go.
    I, meanwhile, went to work on the spars.
    No photos for the first few days, but I soon got a day off when I nicked my leg with a 16 grit.5 stitches.

fuggin white pine.no strength, no rot resistance

Turns out, the spar had been repaired earlier, with white pine. I condemmed that and we took all that white pine off.

I didn't even want to go to the clinic and was going to just duct tape it,but the skin just kept opening more n more.

I declined the anti biotics and tetanus shot.Kept it smeared with charcoal,goldenseal and castor oil.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 03:22 PM.

We cobbled together some fir and yellow pine , and started sticking it back together.
    The mizzen got a lotta spline work.
    Both spars are 2nd growth fir.
    Wound up working 27 feet down the 55' main mast.

There is a wood splint taped to my leg that I do not ding the wound/pop the stitches.

We obtained an old 8 inch fir spar and had it ripped on a local bandmill. From this wood, I began the repair with a "T" in the center,then filled out with the yellow pine. Good wood is almost impossible to obtain here.Once the "T" was epoxied into place, the rest was quick and easy.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 01:29 PM.

The current in the yard is poor...low voltage ,and we mostly used my tools from my boat,so most work was done with a Honda generator.

I pourd quarts of green wood poison in these sawn out checks.They were formerly filled with sika goo which was sunburnt gook.I cut out and epoxied several long rough splines like this ,then locked up the s par with epoxy resin. Many would say that this dooms the spar, but I bored a one inch hole straight down from the truck, to be a resevoir for poison in the future. I did the same for Woodwind 35 years ago ,so.....

Strips of thin greenheart drummed all round the spar. The original rot began where the soft eyes cut into the soft fir. Sweet water (rain) goes in the crushed wood. I've seen this a hundred times...
    Also, here is the hole in the truck of the mizzen.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.

It's really hot,dirty here. I went up n down that ladder a thousand times.
    Max has been sanding the hull. Here it has the WEST 105 and is ready for interlux 2000 .Topsides are ahead with the 2000 .

I put a longer key on the bottom of both spars. If a big spar ever jumps out in a knock down ...yer goose is cook.

The main boom had been bending on the way down,not good on this type of boat, so I lammed more wood onto the T spar. Lots more sanding

End of the gaff,topsl sheet goes through here.Used to have a funky cheek block,so I built this

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2019 at 11:42 AM.

The boatyard is new, built of dredged new real estate. The excavator is dead. The crane limps along, guys have to walk alongside ,banging on the track with a sledge ,another with a 4x4 levering it from popping off. No problem mon.Every ting cool.

The mizzen is almost as big as my main.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 08:38 AM.

The spar cleared the hole with 2 inches to spare.

Pretty happy now !!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 08:40 AM.

All new hounds on the spars. I glued em on, drummed the area with thin hardwood, then used bonded bronze drifts thus....

The goosenecks stay off the fir with hardwood bits, formerly some rubber chit

bowsprit tip

solid epoxy will be drilled out for shackles.

The Norsestay rigging is a plastic covered 7x7 galvanized wire.We whittled off a few bad spots,(hanks on the stays) ,gave the ends a steady diet of Ospho then Corossion X.

Say hello to my little friends.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2019 at 04:03 PM.

About 4 days out of Bermuda,We ...well, I, was having trouble remembering our staggering watches,so I started to draw a chart on the wall with a sharpie.I mean , every inch of the boat will be sanded eventually...
    Well, When I was a piece done, Max jump up and yelled at me,"don't be a dick doin like dat".Then he went up on deck to un tangle the fishin line. By the time he came back below, his brother and I had placed "dick pic" bombs ALL over the boat,like 20 of em. They were all hidden. Pick up the binocs...dick pic. Pull up the companionway ladder to fix the engine again...big ol dick pick.
    We laughed for a week ...(still laughing pffffftt)
    oh....Max got me back later ...

You can see condition of vessel, every ting buss.Paint flake. That allen wrench and rusty string been dere like wa...15 years..we na touch it, na time fi dat .
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 05:58 PM.

We stopped in Sint Maarten before Antigua for a few days for supplies.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Ouch--adze hit?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Ouch--adze hit?

Kevin
    16 grit ,sander hit a snag in the fir, jumped and hit me on the edge.I took a few days off.
    No bone, no arteries.
    gezus im glad it was not the adz
    I was working too hard frankly. dehydrated...passed out twice on the job.gettin old sux.

Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-20-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Good job. The delivery voyage sounded a bit Capn Ron.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Nasty cut there Bruce. Abrasions hurt like he'll too, it's not like getting cut by a sharp tool. Well at least you didn't cut your dick off!

Angle grinders. Only a matter of time till the lion eats the lion tamer! Good pics and stories mate.

Damn - that shin hurts just looking at it.

Thanks for all the pics & backstory!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Here is Great Beat leaving Antigua for Carriacou,me staying behind on my boat for another week waiting for Jan to fly in and join me.
    The wee schooner anchored is the boat I helped to build in 1978!
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-21-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Nasty cut there Bruce. Abrasions hurt like he'll too, it's not like getting cut by a sharp tool. Well at least you didn't cut your dick off!
    all better

It's the bang on my head 2 years ago that still hurts...spasmed muscles in my back. Radial nerve buggery.

Great adventure. They were lucky to have someone with your experience to help out.

And no worries, mon... when you get a bit more experience with that grinder-thingy... you'll quit using it on body parts <G>

Seriously... impressive chunk of work by all concerned.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Nice story and epic boatbuilding stuff.
    Thanks for sharing Bruce.

Classic wizbang: "The top of the main mast was rotten, so we cut off 10 feet."

No dithering. Just progress.

Jeff

Yes, impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Classic wizbang: "The top of the main mast was rotten, so we cut off 10 feet."

No dithering. Just progress.

Jeff
    We may as well use the heavy rig/pole masts to our advantage. One would not just wack off a section of a box or birdsmouth marconi spruce mast.
    There are many un sung/hard to explain advantages to a clunky overbuilt gaffer,this is one of them . We could stick a funky telephone pole in there and sail safely thousands of miles.
    full disclosure...Max's brother cut the spar.
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-22-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Refreshing to see something getting done around here! Makes me think I shouldn't spend so much energy fussing around wringing my hands about preparations to put to sea. I mean, my Perkins runs!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Refreshing to see something getting done around here! Makes me think I shouldn't spend so much energy fussing around wringing my hands about preparations to put to sea. I mean, my Perkins runs!
    Jonathan,
    Leaving Bermuda for the Caribbean is a different cup of tea than leaving Washington for San Francisco.
    The latter, being a much more dangerous trip.
    Make your boat as sound as you possibly can before going "blue" off the Washington and Oregon coast !

yeah... I know...

The view from the deck of that ketch just looks so nice from my desk chair...

so, Max had to go , and I worked a bit longer alone ,then sailed back to Antigua for the Classic regatta ,and St Barts for the West Indies Regatta.
    But before I left the boatyard, ...one more gag for Max left on his boat

....that's a Clark Bar.

Great work! Thanks for all the pics.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    so, Max had to go , and I worked a bit longer alone ,then sailed back to Antigua for the Classic regatta ,and St Barts for the West Indies Regatta.
    But before I left the boatyard, ...one more gag for Max left on his boat

....that's a Clark Bar.
    Shades of "Caddyshack"