Thread: Architecture student looking for summer experience

Default Architecture student looking for summer experience

I'm pretty sure this is the correct part of the forum to place this thread, so here goes it.

Hello my name is Noah, and I'm an architecture student. I have been building furniture for about 3 years now, started my senior year of high school. I worked for a man in North Louisiana building traditional cypress furniture. I took those skills into architecture, and I think it helped me a lot my first year of school. I've also had a lot of experience metal working. I took an industrial maintenance class in high school at the trade school next door (basically a welding class) and really enjoyed that. This past summer, I took that to the next level by working for a metal worker/sculptor in New Orleans. To sum that all up, I've always loved working with my hands and learning trades, and I especially enjoyed when I would learn "the old way" to do something.

All that introduction was just to say that I'm fascinated by making things and it is what I want to do in my future. I have always liked boats. Small boats, big boats, fishing boats, tankers, pretty much anything that floats, but I really really like the craft of building wooden boats. I've talked to my counselor, and to graduate architecture school I need 2 internships. Usually these are both at an architecture firm, or through the school, but with the economy of architecture lately, they've been understanding of branching out into something that is closer to the personal interest of the student. He said to see what I could get, so I figured that this was the best place to get the word out. I am offering up summer help (probably a month to 6 weeks) of next summer, 2012, in return for as much boat building knowledge as you can dish out in that amount of time. I'm sure that because its for an internship through my college, I can't really just work for a person (even though I would learn so much that way haha!) I need something pretty official. They will probably have to contact my counselor just for accreditation purposes. I'm just hoping that someone out there sees this message of a young guy offering up his back for a summer for probably free (but I will accept pay if you insist) and bites on it to help me do what I really want to do. Thank you for reading, I know its long but if you know someone please don't hesitate to contact me!

Default Re: Architecture student looking for summer experience

Hello, Noah ... It's wonderful that you're trying to do this, and I have one suggestion.

The Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum has a formal boatbuilding apprenticeship. That isn't going to work for you -- it's a one-year program and it's limited to grads of a boatbuilding program or people with equivalent experience. But it does make me think that you might try contacting any maritime-related museum with a working boatyard or boat-building program. If your school is concerned with the bona fides of whoever you end up working with, I imagine that a museum would satisfy them.

Trying to find leads here is a good idea, but I would encourage you to be more proactive ... For instance, in addition to contacting maritime museums directly, you might pick up a copy of WoodenBoat magazine; look at the ads in the back and the listings; draft a good letter explaining your interest; and send it out to anyone who looks like they might fit the bill.

All that said, I don't work in the industry, and have no idea whether what you'd like to do is feasible. But I hope that it works out, and good luck!

Hello, I'm looking for a boatbuilding apprenticeship (I will have an online master's at Boston Architectural College). Should I look for companies in New Zealand or Australia (I hear there are good alternatives for boatbuilding there)?

Quoted via cheapessaywriter
    Originally Posted by Albrecht
    Hello, I'm looking for a boatbuilding apprenticeship (I will have an online master's at Boston Architectural College). Should I look for companies in New Zealand or Australia (I hear there are good alternatives for boatbuilding there)?

I also thought about The Wooden Boat Building program by The Landing School. Has anyone tried it?
    Last edited by Albrecht; 02-18-2020 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albrecht View Post
    Unless you have New Zealand residency, that will be a difficult proposition.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Were I a recent grad looking for an adventure and learning, I would apply for a Fulbright scholarship. I always meant to, but other things intervened when the time came. You can pick any area of study (boatbuilding) and write your own plan. The scholarship pays for the experience and a living stipend. You can pretty much go anywhere on earth.

Check it out. I met some people on the scholarship in Estonia hobnobbing with the embassy staff. It seemed a pretty sweet setup.