Page 1161 of 1161 FirstFirst ... 16166110611111115111601161
Results 40,601 to 40,620 of 40620

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

This heat is oppressive. Maybe being 65 does that to a hobo. Anyway, thanks to Phil I've tried a different brand and size of eyelet on the new boat cover. These are smaller, are Carr Fastener brand brass eyelets, and were put in using a proprietary tool. They look much, much better.

Size SP3. The tool is a long steel deforming/rolling type, rather than a crush and pray type. I've used a hardwood backing block, and a small nylon mallet as the manufacturer reccomends. I don't know which way round to put the washer so I've done one each way and both look good.

Sent from a phone.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    You get Big George to sidle up the them, lien over them, and fretten to do bad fings unless they coughs up the doe.

Sent from a phone.
    Years ago in a new venture I had occasion to chase a commercial debt. The debtor blankly refused to pay, "Sue me' he said. But Barry, old friend, Painter and Docker, dressed sharply, carried a chrome painted varnished handled sledge, persuaded him otherwise.

A local bloke refused to pay our local fencing contractor for a new post and rail stock yard, "Not a problem", said the contractor,"I'll take it away''..... and started his chainsaw. The bloke paid.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    An unexpected visitor or two called by while I was scrubbing the bottom.

Attachment 9908
    Just so long as the tail flukes go horizontally...

I've always wondered whether scrubbing the bottom is akin to burleying up the big ones?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Sometimes all you see is the dorsal fin ,that gives a few seconds of blind panic!

That happened to me about 53 years ago at Port Noarlunga, spear fishing for squid, I looked up, saw the fins coming towards me . I can't quite remember what I said ....but I was sh!t scared for a few seconds.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Just so long as the tail flukes go horizontally...

I've always wondered whether scrubbing the bottom is akin to burleying up the big ones?
    My one and only attempt at hooka diving was trying to scrub the bottom of a 46 footer in Sydney harbour. All I could think of was that the debris clouds and scrubbing sounds would be likely to attract the attention of anything resembling a bull shark in the vicinity of Rushcutters Bay. I talked myself up into a state where I couldn't breathe and had to abandon the job. I've never gone back for a second go at it since then, around 1982.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Re the eyelets above, I saw a youtube instruction video where the advice about acrylic and polyester fabrics was to apply 'resin' into the cut fabric edges of the hole before sealing the grommet down. The so called resin bottle was labelled 'super glue'... Any thoughts?
    Paperback E-book

Yep, they hunt via scent, typically urine, but I would expect that a strong bio trail would interest them
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Because of the local seal and penguin colonies we get Tigers in our bit of Bass Strait but so far the only sharks I've seen were at a distance along the reef, though one passed under me in the 'yak in the mouth of a local river.
    We see more young seals than we used to though, in the mangroves at high tide.

Re the eyelets above, I saw a youtube instruction video where the advice about acrylic and polyester fabrics was to apply 'resin' into the cut fabric edges of the hole before sealing the grommet down. The so called resin bottle was labelled 'super glue'... Any thoughts?
    Super glue is pretty inflexible, maybe not the best choice.
    Grateful Dead

Glad those eyelets are working for you Bruce. I remember now I also,used them on the front of the addition to my sail cover. They seem to be doing fine. Have you tried making the hole with a soldering iron as we discussed?

My one and only attempt at hooka diving was trying to scrub the bottom of a 46 footer in Sydney harbour. All I could think of was that the debris clouds and scrubbing sounds would be likely to attract the attention of anything resembling a bull shark in the vicinity of Rushcutters Bay. I talked myself up into a state where I couldn't breathe and had to abandon the job. I've never gone back for a second go at it since then, around 1982.
    Of of course most of the Sharks around here are White Pointers, but I've never seen one in the marina. I'm feeling more comfortable with the Hookah each time I go down. Very happy with it. The first time there was massive growth on the bottom, I was scraping it off with a smallish plastic gyprock smoothing scraper. Hard work and kept breaking the scraper. Then Imtried a metal painters scraper. Better but still hard work. And too close to the action. Pretty gross to have your head right in the middle of clouds of marine yuck. Then I went for a straightened garden hoe, on about a 3 foot handle. Wonderful tool. Each thrust was much longer, wider, and just the right pressure. Powered through all sorts of crap. Since then I've done 2 rounds with those big scotchbright pads. Yesterday was about an hour and a half, not too bad for a 50 foot hull with 2 big keels and skegs and rudders I reckon. I think the antifoul is pretty well spent, it's 2 years old now, so I think I'll be getting in plenty of practice with the hookah. But now that it's just a quick once over to remove a bit of slimy stuff and the odd angel hair ( I don't know what it is, some bloody seagrass which grows so fast that as Bruce says, if you stand in the water for more than 5 minutes you have to scrub it off your legs), it's not too much of a chore. Next job is to replace the zincs, which look about half gone so are probably pretty well done.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Super glue is pretty inflexible, maybe not the best choice.
    Inflexible shouldn't matter in this application, they should be firmly clamped between the 2 parts of the grommet. But we were thinking, make the hole with a soldering iron, that will give a good edge. I don't have a punch so when I've used them I've just cut a small cross and pushed the tool through. It works.

Or heat a bit of metal tubing of the correct diameter with a torch and cut the hole with that.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Because of the local seal and penguin colonies we get Tigers in our bit of Bass Strait but so far the only sharks I've seen were at a distance along the reef, though one passed under me in the 'yak in the mouth of a local river.
    We see more young seals than we used to though, in the mangroves at high tide.
    I got back onto a boat up on the Barrier Reef after snorkelling out from a cay and this lovely lass came up to me and said "did you see that Tiger Shark that swam behind you?"

Um... nope. Thankfully.

I remember sitting about 3m from a tiger shark at 25 m depth on a dive course off Byron Bay, Julian Rocks. It wasn't even a bit interested in divers who look unlike any food known to a shark.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I remember sitting about 3m from a tiger shark at 25 m depth on a dive course off Byron Bay, Julian Rocks. It wasn't even a bit interested in divers who look unlike any food known to a shark.
    Tell that to the surviving fisherman, of three, who was on a trawler that went down off Queensland a few years back. A big Tiger came in and took one of the three in the water, came back the next day and took the second. Then he got rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Tell that to the surviving fisherman, of three, who was on a trawler that went down off Queensland a few years back. A big Tiger came in and took one of the three in the water, came back the next day and took the second. Then he got rescued.
    My point was that scuba gear makes us look like nothing on their menu. Tanks , masks, bubbles , bright colours.
    Grateful Dead

Well, there was Priscilla, the gay seal who was taken by a tiger shark ......

Rick

Where to begin...

Priscilla taken by a tiger shark? Sounds like bull shark to me.

I haven't used a soldering iron or a heated tube to make the grommet holes yet. I did use a gas lighter to try to melt some furry edges but it was too brutal for the material. I used the suggested cross cut and push the grommet sleeve through technique, which is ok. I'd like the addition of a melted or glued edge under the washer, but as you say it's firmly clamped between two brass flat rings so probably not an issue.

Massive growth on the bottom... some kind of angel hair... Priscilla... straightened hoe... Wonderful tool... So much scope, so little time. I'll leave those alone though, apart from to say I did tell you not to sit in that water for any length of time.
    Paperback E-book