Page 1312 of 1318 FirstFirst ... 312812121212621302131113121313 ... LastLast
Results 45,886 to 45,920 of 46101

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Excellent!

As for the rolling bevel edge, I'd be looking at getting it within a close margin with any sharp blade you are comfortable with then running an electric planer along it freehanding the bevel, then belt sanding it in. How far over the edge is the glass going to wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That would work. To get a topside cutting edge guide line on top of the ply a used a scrap with a slot cut deep enough to clear the rough edge of the ply. And held a pencil against the top inboard edge of the scrap and marked a line on the deck. Does that make sense?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That would work. To get a topside cutting edge guide line on top of the ply a used a scrap with a slot cut deep enough to clear the rough edge of the ply. And held a pencil against the top inboard edge of the scrap and marked a line on the deck. Does that make sense?
    Yes, great idea, thanks!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    And a bit of foredeck work.

I don't get on well with electric planes.

I reckon I'm pretty much on schedule so far.

Great progress!

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Thanks Rick but not sure I understand. I bought that edge trimmer thing but haven't really found a use for it yet other than letting in hinges on a door at home. The angle between deck and topside varies and is mostly more than 90 degrees, except forward where it's less.

Actually, you don't need to bevel the edge of the block for what you're doing, nor do you need a bearing bit, although it can be a good safety measure (to prevent accidental dig ins.).

This is a guide that used to come with Makita trimmers. I've set it up on a steel tank here as it's the only thing I could find with an obtuse angle:

Trimmer 1.jpg

It's easy to make the same thing with a couple of bits of scrap wood, if you don't have this guide. To use it, you simply run the guide flat against your sheer plank. Just make sure the bit is long enough so it doesn't miss the ply edge you're trimming. It's actually pretty easy and you'll get a much better finish than you would with a belt sander. The base of the trimmer doesn't sit flush on the deck but that doesn't matter. You just have to make sure that you get the guide flush with the sheer plank. Obviously the guide has to be set so that the bit is flush with it.

When I did Pipsqueak's deck, I used the trimmer for almost everything! I use it all the time on Masina too. It's a tool that's well worth getting familiar with.

Only use the trimmer to finish the edge - you don't want to be taking more than about 2-3mm at a time, so cut the edge off fairly close with a sabre saw or jigsaw before you run the trimmer along.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-11-2019 at 04:13 AM.

So, today on Masina, I cut out part of a shelf that sits under the sink as I'm changing the outlet and ball valve, and the new setup won't fit above the shelf. I cut a big cavity with a jigsaw, chisel and handsaw, then frigged around for ages trying to fit some trim bits so that things won't slide into the new cavity. All this in 200% humidity with my head and shoulders jammed into the cupboard and my knees screaming for mercy. Then I worked out that by removing just four screws I could easily take the shelf out and take it home to work on in the shed ........

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Actually, you don't need to bevel the edge of the block for what you're doing, nor do you need a bearing bit, although it can be a good safety measure (to prevent accidental dig ins.).

This is a guide that used to come with Makita trimmers. I've set it up on a steel tank here as it's the only thing I could find with an obtuse angle:

Trimmer 1.jpg

It's easy to make the same thing with a couple of bits of scrap wood, if you don't have this guide. To use it, you simply run the guide flat against your sheer plank. Just make sure the bit is long enough so it doesn't miss the ply edge you're trimming. It's actually pretty easy and you'll get a much better finish than you would with a belt sander. The base of the trimmer doesn't sit flush on the deck but that doesn't matter. You just have to make sure that you get the guide flush with the sheer plank. Obviously the guide has to be set so that the bit is flush with it.

When I did Pipsqueak's deck, I used the trimmer for almost everything! I use it all the time on Masina too. It's a tool that's well worth getting familiar with.

Only use the trimmer to finish the edge - you don't want to be taking more than about 2-3mm at a time, so cut the edge off fairly close with a sabre saw or jigsaw before you run the trimmer along.

Rick
    Hmmmm. I dunno.

It really is simple. The trimmer base doesn't need to be flush with the deck. It's inner edge just rides along on the deck. You can't dig in. You get a perfect edge. It doesn't work with acute angles but where the angle is obtuse, it's foolproof. Did your trimmer come with that guide?

Rick

I think it came with some sort of a guide. I'll try it. Maybe.

If you do have the trimmer guide, as above, you can also use it for acute angles, as I had to do on Pipsqueak - memory's returning! You have to be more careful to keep the guide flush with the sheer plank as you can get a dig in. Make finer cuts to reduce the risk.

Rick

I think it came with some sort of a guide. I'll try it. Maybe.

Use a long, straight bit, at least 8mm dia.

Another method, also easy. Fasten (hot glue, 2-sided tape) two bits of ply to the base of your planer; one forward of the blade, one behind. The bits of ply should only cover about 2/3 the width of the base. Lower the blade so that it's flush with the ply. Then just run the planer along the sheer plank with the ply resting on the plank and the bit of blade beside the ply cutting off your deck edge. Fine cuts until you get used to it.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-11-2019 at 04:57 AM.

I wonder if anyone took any photos at this year's AWBF??

Rick

A quick heads up for those in the Tweed region, Sibbo maaaayyy be having a pre-painted boat splash/sea trial/test rigging with Jim on Wednesday at Fingal. Two mates Nick and Keith have been providing the labour at El-Sibbo's direction and Nick thinks they might get stuff sorted to get some saline action happening.

Stay tuned...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Thanks Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    A quick heads up for those in the Tweed region, Sibbo maaaayyy be having a pre-painted boat splash/sea trial/test rigging with Jim on Wednesday at Fingal. Two mates Nick and Keith have been providing the labour at El-Sibbo's direction and Nick thinks they might get stuff sorted to get some saline action happening.

Stay tuned...
    Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post

Stay tuned...
    I want to be there for that.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Weather wise tomorrow is going to be awful.
    Wednesday 13 February

Summary Min 22Max 38Hot and sunny.Chance of any rain: 20% Northern Rivers area

Hot. Sunny day. Slight (20%) chance of a shower in the evening. Winds north to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h shifting south to southeasterly during the afternoon and evening. Overnight temperatures falling to the low 20s with daytime temperatures reaching 36 to 42.

Sun protection recommended from 8:50 am to 5:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 13 [Extreme]

Cold, windy and rainy here. That was supposed to be tomorrow. Not even visiting the boat today. I hope its stays from the South as theres nothing much to tie up to at the back end of the boat at the moment.

Over 38 C here and blowing about 20 knots, although there are some heavy gusts and it seems to be picking up. Real bushfire weather, except that after two fires in late 2018, there's not much left here to burn. There's supposed to be a cool change coming through tonight.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Care to enlighten me on good spots of particular note . In theory the camper should be self-contained, but I need to get a handle on paid and freedom camping options over that way. We mostly pay our way over here, even though the caravan is all set up and certified.
    Freedom camping is becoming a bit of a hot button issue over here, with some places literally becoming covered in chit .

Pete
    I found some of that chit of which you speak not too far from this free camping spot the other day

The missus wasn't too impressed with me telling her we were camping there... "see, free blanket and a pumpkin". We went on a bit further and paid for a room - also with a view
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd use 6 oz. plain weave. I can't see any advantage in going heavier in plain weave and biaxial/stitched stuff is murder to lay over large areas, and expensive. 6 oz will easily wrap over your edges.

I saw this West video where they use a thin foam roller to wet out glass onto dry ply. I've always used a squeegee and brush but I think the roller would work really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcut7RLho8

Rick
    That was a good video tutorial. I continue to appreciate all the great advice Im getting here from everyone, thanks.

Seriously warm and very still here, it's not going to be a nice night...however looking forward to seeing Jim on the water tomorrow.
    Busy charging up various cameras.

Fantastic. Fair winds Peter! Lots of photos please. Wish I could be there.

As above!! Hope it all goes really well but I'm sure it will!

Rick

All the very best for the launch, Peter.

Alex.
    You can never have too many clamps

Launch day! How frabulous!

Buy a bottle of very good rum and notify me of the bill.

I've just posted a thread over in building and repair about peel ply. Never used the stuff. Any thoughts or experience welcome, as usual. Thanks. In particular, the video Rick posted suggests you can leave it in place for months while finish off the rest of your boat. I wonder if that's a good approach, wrt UV.

Important day today, cameras are fully charged.

I've just posted a thread over in building and repair about peel ply. Never used the stuff. Any thoughts or experience welcome, as usual. Thanks. In particular, the video Rick posted suggests you can leave it in place for months while finish off the rest of your boat. I wonder if that's a good approach, wrt UV.
    Seems like a good idea to me. Better than mucking around with tarps etc.

Rick

I like it ,a perfect finish, no sanding at all.Do an experiment first.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Have a great day today, Peter and helpers!

I didn't know you could leave peel ply on for so long. Good to know!

Rick

I didn't know you could leave peel ply on for so long. Good to know!

Rick
    Got the idea from that video you posted

I'd better watch more of it ...

Rick

It's about like watching paint dry, but some good info.

A friend who has built wrc racing sculls in NSW uses and swears by peel ply. I've never used it but I'm assured that my scull would have had a far better interior glassing outcome weight wise had I used it.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book