Thread: Is there a dingy cruising group in New England USA? Similar to the DCA overseas?

Default Is there a dingy cruising group in New England USA? Similar to the DCA overseas?

Recently I stumbled into Roger Barnes videos on YouTube and since then I have become fascinated by the simplicity of dingy sailing. It just looks like such a fun way to meet people, sail close in shore, maybe camp or picnic, and return home without a massive commitment of time. Does anybody know of any groups that are gathering around New England and making such adventures? Ive attached a link to the DCA's intro video and to one of Rogers intro videos as well. If there is not a dingy cruising association in New England at this time maybe it is time to make that happen?
    Jay
    Vermont, USA

Dingy Cruising Association
    https://youtu.be/vThtE2px-gs

The Homely Dingy, Roger Barnes
    https://youtu.be/aC85FlAREOU

Default Re: Is there a dingy cruising group in New England USA? Similar to the DCA overseas?

Wrong coast for me, but you might contact the TSCA for a chapter local to you.

https://tsca.net/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Is there a dingy cruising group in New England USA? Similar to the DCA overseas?

There is not that I know of, but there are some active members of the TSCA that do some dingy cruising (myself included), especially on the Chesapeake, and other members of this forum.

There are some events and clubs, I've read reports in Messing About In Boats.

Although it has officially ended, I would be surprised if some people involved in past Small Reach Regattas don't resurrect something similar: https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...reach-regatta/

David, have you checked out the Lower Columbia River chapter? The TSCA website lists it as based out of Cathlamet, WA, but I don't know how active it might be.

Similar to Roger Barnes' videos are some coming out of Australia by way of "Sailing Kate Louise"

There are the "Pocket Yachters" up here in the PNW, they have a few annual gatherings. The combination of my being busy and a naturally occurring bent towards being a hermit have kept my interactions with them limited, though they have seemed friendly enough in the past.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I'm a member of DCA and TSCA, in CA. TSCA is the active group in the US, the local chapters organize activities which usually include some cruises. I joined DCA mainly to get the journal, which is worth the annual fee.

Hi Jay - there is a new TSCA chapter forming in NH/VT that will definitely have some folks interested in dinghy cruising. A lot of folks involved are former Small Reach Regatta participants.

Jonathan

I'm sure I just missed it, but why was last year's Small Reach Regatta the last one ever?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Per Tom Jackson:

First, we of the core group were all volunteers, and we were all 16 years older than we were when we started (counting 15 SRRs and a year off for Covid-19). Most of us were ready to move on, maybe to smaller sailing adventures that would liberate us from the need for administration. We were always strictly egalitarian, and we all paid the same entry fees, camping rates, and meal prices as everybody else. It was all for one, and one for all. But we didn’t see a rising cadre of new volunteers in the area. Many of our participants were from New England but they also came from as far south as Virginia and Florida and as far west as Michigan and Wisconsin. Those who seemed eager to volunteer seemed too far away. We were meeting every month, and even for some of us living in the area it was an hour’s drive to do so.

We were also nearing the capacity limits of the campground and the anchorage. None of us could envision going back to searching farther afield, and in any case we had already looked high and low. Hitting growth targets and setting records was never our “thing,” but we were always reluctant to impose limits on the fleet, knowing that with first-come, first-served protocols or some sort of lottery, some regular participants who had formed solid friendships in the group would inevitably have to be turned away. Either that or we wouldn’t be able to make room for new participants who helped to keep the event fresh for everyone.
    Seems reasonable enough to me, but also nothing that would stop someone else from coming along to get it going again.

I think I see some new friends on the horizon here. Thanks for the links and connections to a few groups dabbled around the east. I'll do some reading where it was provided here and meanwhile please add more comments about how I might get more connected. Just opening the front page of the TSCA page was exciting - two beautiful cruisers right there! I'll dive in and see what I can find. Right away though I am noticing how few boats are on the market. Im looking for something traditional and salvageable and affordable. Roger Barnes Ilure comes really appeals to me for many reasons. If anybody knows of such a craft sitting in the back of a barn in neglect PLEASE contact me.
    j