Thread: Visiting Maine

Default Visiting Maine

My wife and I are planning to spend time on the Maine coast this summer. Hereís my fantasy:

We have a cabin overlooking beautiful coastline. On the pier out front is a small rental sailboat that I can use for day sailing. Within walking distance is a good restaurant(s).

I donít want too much, right? However, any suggestions to achieve some of that will be greatly appreciated. What in particular should a wooden boat builder see and do. Iíve done a search on this forum and found the Maritime museum and First ship which sound interesting. Iíd particularly like to get up with anyone who has a William Garden Eel as I do

Default Re: Visiting Maine

Some might call me an enabler... https://www.onthewaterinmaine.com/

There is an Eel that lives in Camden or Rockport Harbor. I drive past it when ever I head up to Searsport, up around Lincolnville. The walking distance restaurant is the hard one. Most restaurants are in towns like Camden/ Rockland etc. Most places for rent are not within easy walking distance. You may want to look over on the Blue Hill peninsula or Stonington/ Deer Isle. It may be that you need to rent the boat from someone other than the real estate owner. Hard tellin'.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Check out Jonesport Shipyard in Jonesport, Maine. They have a small cabin on the water that they rent out and I think they have a sailboat or two for rent as well. Easy walking distance to town and the owners are super nice and characters to boot.

Castine is nice...

I like to sail over there for the day, maybe visit Holbrook Island, anchor and spend the night.
    If nothing else I'll bet you could rent a kayak for a week. A lot of gunk-holing territory there.

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    Check out Jonesport Shipyard in Jonesport, Maine. They have a small cabin on the water that they rent out and I think they have a sailboat or two for rent as well. Easy walking distance to town and the owners are super nice and characters to boot.
    Camped at the shipyard. There is a outstanding no frills food spot over the bridge on Beals. It is the ultimate in getaway Maine. Not many tourists east of MDI.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Are you thinking to sit in one place, relax, sail? Or tour the highlights? If the former, almost any little harbor in Maine, find the boat first, the cabin will follow. But you may not find the fine dining nearby

If touring:

Maritime Museum and the Virginia are definitely worth a day, don't miss the lobster boat display. And good restaurants. But Bath and the Lower Kennebec (my stomping grounds) are very challenging for sailing, and finding classic boats.

Rockport's Apprenticeshop, the many (expensive) harbors filled with gorgeous boats, and WoodenBoat's Mecca in Brooklyn. Bring your checkbook to visit Shaw & Tenney in Orono.

Or, consider chartering your "cabin" and cruising to the really lovely spots... At the very least, bring your own little rowboat, to tour the harbors you visit.

Trailer or cartop a boat with you. I have done this in Florida, Maryland and Massachusetts at least.

I've rented daysailers from both http://bucksharbor.com/ and http://www.oldquarry.com/. Both are relatively short trips from Stonington, which has enough restaurants to keep you happy for a week or two. It looks like Old Quary has cabins for rent, too, but they aren't walking distance from downtown.
    Last edited by dan-marques; 12-24-2019 at 10:12 PM.

This fine restaurant has moved and is now offering lodging.
    https://aragostamaine.com/

One of my fantasies is to run a business offering small timber yachts for hire, in Tasmania. 23-32 feet. The only problem is there seem to be about 3 people in the world, maybe a little less, who want what the OP describes. I reckon a little fleet of half a dozen lovely timber yachts would be a good thing.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Contact Seattle's Center for Wooden Boats to ask about their rental fleet, location, demand, etc. Your fantasy may be doable! https://www.cwb.org/rent

The OP might want to checkout https://linekinbayresort.com/. It's a sailing resort in Boothbay. I've never been there, so I don't know anything else beyond the website, but they have a fleet of sailboats for guests to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-marques View Post
    The OP might want to checkout https://linekinbayresort.com/. It's a sailing resort in Boothbay. I've never been there, so I don't know anything else beyond the website, but they have a fleet of sailboats for guests to use.
    Agree! I didn't think of it, despite the fact that my wife would walk over there as a teen to visit her sailing instructor boyfriend and both of our daughters getting married there!

You mentioned the Maritime museum and First Ship, so I assume you're talking about Bath (Maine Maritime Museum and Maine's First Ship). Both fantastic choices. MFS has delayed their launch until fall, I believe, not because the vessel isn't progressing nicely, but because there have been a few snafus regarding the dock where the boat will be kept. But it's a great project and well worth a visit. And the museum is, frankly, awesome (I'm biased of course since I work there). Our tour boat is still on track to begin operations in May, and we do a number of narrated tours of the shipyards and lighthouses in the area. Sounds touristy, and I suppose it is, but it is still an awesome way to get out on the water, learn some cool stuff about the area's history, and see some absolutely gorgeous Maine scenery. We often have locals come out on the tours for the first time who are awestruck at the beauty, can't believe they've never done it before, etc. The bread and butter tour is one hour and concentrates on the local Kennebec River lighthouses and Bath Iron Works. There's also a 3 hour version that goes out to the ocean, over to Sheepscot Bay and back to Bath via the Sassanoa River. Do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    You mentioned the Maritime museum and First Ship, so I assume you're talking about Bath (Maine Maritime Museum and Maine's First Ship). Both fantastic choices. MFS has delayed their launch until fall, I believe, not because the vessel isn't progressing nicely, but because there have been a few snafus regarding the dock where the boat will be kept. But it's a great project and well worth a visit. And the museum is, frankly, awesome (I'm biased of course since I work there). Our tour boat is still on track to begin operations in May, and we do a number of narrated tours of the shipyards and lighthouses in the area. Sounds touristy, and I suppose it is, but it is still an awesome way to get out on the water, learn some cool stuff about the area's history, and see some absolutely gorgeous Maine scenery. We often have locals come out on the tours for the first time who are awestruck at the beauty, can't believe they've never done it before, etc. The bread and butter tour is one hour and concentrates on the local Kennebec River lighthouses and Bath Iron Works. There's also a 3 hour version that goes out to the ocean, over to Sheepscot Bay and back to Bath via the Sassanoa River. Do both.
    Sure want to time your trip though the Sassanoa with the correct tide!

I will have to take the longer trip. While I've been up the Sheepscot to Wiscasset many times, My 8' draft boat won't go more than a few miles past the Knubble.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

No kidding about the tide, especially Upper Hell Gate! The tour boat has plenty of power to muscle her way through. My own boat? I wait for the tide!

Coronavirus anyone?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Yes, of course this is all wishful thinking. Everything is shut down here now. Maybe a 2021 scenario ...

There will be worse places to be this summer, than out on the water, or in an isolated cabin on the coast!

True. Regarding boats on the water, there will some interesting logistical challenges to keep an eye on. Namely, getting boat into water. Our new (old) boat is on the hard and needs to have the usual spring recommissioning done, have the mast stepped, be launched, etc. It's not clear whether I'll have access to it anytime soon or whether the yard will still be in operation to do their part.

Summer residents are bringing guests and are flooding onto our peninsula already. The local postmistress is processing postal forwarding cards from people she's never served before.
    ďEventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Getting back to Maine again is definitely on my Bucket List. I had hoped it would be on a Romsdal Trawler, but alas...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    It's not clear whether I'll have access to it anytime soon or whether the yard will still be in operation to do their part.
    Our yard in RI is operating - quietly. It's a 3 or 4 man show, and they are making a point of always working in separate spaces. Owners are doing their prep; we'll see how they handle launchings. I make a point of wiping down the door handle when I come and go from the boat shed

I had hoped to return to ME again this summer. Many years ago I found a place on Bailey Island that must have been built about the turn of the last century and has not changed much since. It always reminds me of places my folks would take the family back in the 30s and 40s when I was a small boy. Shared bathroom at the end of a hall, several folks waiting with towel and soap in hand... long tables in the dining room where you sat shoulder to shoulder with other guests... food was plentiful and delicious... we were different folks back then. Now that I have to deal with an aging prostate I was happy to discover that they have carved out bathrooms from the oversize rooms and I don't have to wander down a long hallway at three am to pee. Good times... .

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    ...waiting with towel and soap in hand... long tables in the dining room where you sat shoulder to shoulder with other guests... .
    Last summer we discovered Star Island. Dinner and breakfast ashore, slept on the boat. Wind from the East was gorgeous. Form the northwest, not so much