Page 1175 of 1175 FirstFirst ... 17567510751125116511741175
Results 41,091 to 41,109 of 41109

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Any ideas where you get that stuff in Adelaide? Last time I bought some was in Steamships Hardware in Port Moresby. I think that was a Teflon impregnated product. Not planning to back there! I know Bunnings won't have it. Doubtful on Whitworths. I'm thinking maybe some sort of dusty rural engineering pump supply house?
    A country pump supplier, they sell the stuff to rebuild old pump glands.... especially bulldozer/ piston pumps.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Soggy day and a perfect day to be out in the shed. Got a number of small jobs done for the boat and docked up another pile of fallen branch timber.
    Liberalism, the Nazis were shouting from the rooftops, meant weakness: James Holland

Did you get that cedar log to the mill Gary ? If not I should be able to lift on a 3m length onto my ute with ute crane.
    Grateful Dead

Thanks guys, looks like it should be easy enough to get my hands on something.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Did you get that cedar log to the mill Gary ? If not I should be able to lift on a 3m length onto my ute with ute crane.
    Not yet, it belongs to the community and we have yet to have a meeting. I shall keep you in mind Peter. I believe there is a bloke not far from here with a bandsaw mill but I have yet to talk to him.
    Liberalism, the Nazis were shouting from the rooftops, meant weakness: James Holland

Hot and sticky here. Unpleasant. Various boat jobs including the beach trolley and trailer, 2nd coat on the repaired transom. Made a couple more new parts for the jinker whilst I was about it.
    Hada swim, water is too warm.
    Rain would be nice.

Rain here, not much, showers and mist but heavy rain forecast for tomorrow.
    Grateful Dead

Well I think I can forget about getting the new grab rail primered.
    Saturday 24 February

Summary Min 22Max 29Showers. Possible storm.Possible rainfall: 8 to 25 mmChance of any rain: 100% Cloudy. Very high (near 100%) chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm. Light winds becoming northerly 20 to 25 km/h in the early afternoon.

Sun protection recommended from 8:50 am to 4:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Sunday 25 February

Summary Min 23Max 31Showers increasing.Possible rainfall: 5 to 15 mmChance of any rain: 80% Partly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the evening. The chance of a thunderstorm. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 25 km/h becoming light during the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Not yet, it belongs to the community and we have yet to have a meeting. I shall keep you in mind Peter. I believe there is a bloke not far from here with a bandsaw mill but I have yet to talk to him.
    Gary Robinson 0427 687 533
    2388 Kyogle Road, just past the Byril Creek turn off.
    Grateful Dead

62mm of rain last night and a lot more to come.
    Grateful Dead

Ex cyclone Gita flooded giant areas of the South Island and lower North Island earlier this week, wiped out roads and left several areas cut off. We got about 30 knots up here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Gary Robinson 0427 687 533
    2388 Kyogle Road, just past the Byril Creek turn off.
    Yep that’s him.
    I’m a bit grumbly about the rain because I was all fired up to get some painting done. Now I will have to find things to do inside the boat, which given the state of it shouldn’t be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Ex cyclone Gita flooded giant areas of the South Island and lower North Island earlier this week, wiped out roads and left several areas cut off. We got about 30 knots up here.
    I saw some drone (?) footage of the land slips, quite extensive.

I checked with Graeme, Masina's former owner, in Nelson. All okay for them right there. Looks like the area around Kaikoura copped a hammering!

Rick

Yes Kirsty's folks in Nelson are good too, but a week or two earlier Nelson really suffered with king tides and a blow that wrecked some local establishments around the port.
    Gita , this last one, wiped out great sections of road on the Takaka hill to Golden bay , so those people are all cut off.

How often have tropical cyclones descended on South Island?

Rick

I don't know how many , but they're usually pretty nasty when they do. Think Wahine disaster.
    As I often repeat , its usually the cyclones that trick us ( especially back in the day without sat and internet information), the ones that go East like they should and then , lo , double back and go west like they shouldn't.
    Gita did that, so it was worth keeping an eye on. Bola did that in the 80's.
    Last edited by John B; 02-22-2018 at 05:25 PM.

We get severe lows forming in the Tasman but it's unknown for a TC to drift south of Queensland. I didn't know the Wahine disaster occurred in a cyclone.

Rick

I've just come back from several days away on the West Coast & Nelson areas. We were booked to fly out on Monday evening, which occured without hassle. I'm glad I hadnt decided on a longer stay, as it all broke loose on Tuesday.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.