Page 1075 of 1075 FirstFirst ... 755759751025106510741075
Results 37,591 to 37,604 of 37604

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Another exhausting day.

The cockpit is cleared of a ute tray load of stuff. Only a few lucky dip items remain for visitors tomorrow. Get in early.

This afternoon old man Yanmar refused to start at all. It's off to the Yanmologist tomorrow.

I finally got to fly a few sails today. 1 & 2 Genoas, Yankee Doodle jib and storm jib combo. Tomorrow I hope someone shows my how I've mucked up the jib sheets. The the main Main will be raised, the trisail, and possibly the old Main.

There will be a video of Arawana published soon. It won't include the bit where the quad copter flew into the Coomera River, nor the duck-diving drone camera operator. I can't wait though. I star in it as Bumphrey Gocart.

Sent from my ZTE T610 using Tapatalk
    We might have covered this already. Does it have a decompression lever so you can get a good spin going, then drop the lever?

It does. The manual describes hand crank starting it that way but doesn't talk about battery starting it the same way. I can't see why not to do it like that. I haven't opened it up to see where the lifter might be. Do you think the stop device is the same thing, pull the lever to lift the valves so no compression?

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Oh come on, how come your version of the ad has a big red circle around the bit that says it's a Griffin?

Rick
    Just lucky I guess. :-)

Further to the decompress or question, I checked with the manual that came with this dink, rather than relying on the downloaded version. It does indeed describe starting using the decompression lever lifted as a way to spin it up. I won't wake the neighbors here by trying it now, but it's one of the first jobs for tomorrow.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Had a lovely day on Balia today. The weather is going through a bit of a bad patch. Perfect for reading a book, having a nap, a nice bit of lunch, a cup of tea and nothing even vaguely productive.
    Beautiful day here out on the water. Not much wind but close to perfect, really.

Rick

I couldn't wait until morning, and there aren't many neighbours, and it is a boat yard... So I started the Yanmar using the decompression lever drop method. It was still not quick to start, so Dr Yanmar will be consulted. I'm letting it run at 1500 for a little while to spin up a few electrons back into the batteries for tomorrow.

Paperback E-book

Now I'm happier. It's a still night and there's a bit of diesel exhaust in the air, but I'll sleep better now. I was starting to catastophise, and that's bad for my head.

Tomorrow also includes making a decision about whether the jib halyard needs replacing. I'll get other opinions, I'm sure, but it seems to me the bit showing hairy doubtfulness is the last couple of centimetres that hangs out of the mast. I'm calling partial halyardectomy.

I had a better look at the UV damage to the leach on the mainsail today, and it is nowhere near as bad as I'd expected. I'm pretty close to calling that a simple patch job, subject to beady eyed inspections.

The weather for the next week does look poor, but who knows, I might get a break soon and get wiggling on southwards and see how she tacks for a couple of days.

Paperback E-book

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quiz time. Where the heck are the batteries on Arawana&

Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Quiz time. Where the heck are the batteries on Arawana&

I think under the fwd starboard seat in the cockpit
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

That's where Id put them.
    The engine stop is more likely a fuel cutoff I think, but not sure of that.

You win a mystery parcel. Collect on board Arawana this morning.

Paperback E-book

Looks like you'd better make yourself comfortable up there til Sunday, Bruce!

I'd change that halyard if you're at all worried about it. It would be a PITA replacing it at sea. Now's a good time to go up and check the sheaves at the top of the mast anyway. It's not uncommon to find rope halyards running through blocks made for wire and these can destroy rope quickly.

Rick

Peter I just heard an interview on the ABC with a lovely guy called Henry Marsh. A retired UK brain surgeon. I reckon you'd enjoy it. Conversations with Richard Fiedler. There'd be a podcast.