Page 1126 of 1126 FirstFirst ... 12662610261076111611251126
Results 39,376 to 39,400 of 39400

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    ........just the parts cost. That reminds me of how I rationalized why I needed the new..ish motor. I need a new raw water pump for the old..ish motor and the new..ish motor was priced at 2 raw water pumps. So there..... no brainier!
    If I could do that I would , just have a whole unit to swap out. The hard part is re engineering all the bits , mounts , fridge compressor bracket , extra alternator bracket yadayada.......so a same motor swap out is a doddle. Not to mention the parts bin, spare starter etc.

Meanwhile, in commercial real estate, I see that Pompei's yard at Mordialloc is for sale. Expected to fetch $3 mill and become an apartment building site

https://www.commercialrealestate.com...c-all-alwayson

RIP Jack

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

I heard seven years ago that this was the plan. Various community petitions etc have been presented to keep the precinct maritime and community focused ........
    There was an artists workshop in the shed next door that I used to have some involvement with. I will post some pics....
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Lattes and smashed avocado is more important than a bunch of old farts mucking about with yucky old boats.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Lattes and smashed avocado is more important than a bunch of old farts mucking about with yucky old boats.
    No politics!

I'm taking a sabbatical
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I think I have shown that old farts mucking about with yucky old boats can have all the lattes and avocado ourselves.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    Not when people with large amounts of money and no taste require the land the the said old farts wish to drink their lattes on.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Maybe move this discussion elsewhere? Just starting to feel a little bit political and negative.,bad vibes.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 10-18-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Maybe move this discussion elsewhere? Just starting to feel a little bit political and negative.,bad vibes.
    It's OK... lefties can't help themselves (except to public monies).

Oops. No politics. I'm out.

Non political and just me being cynical but happy to drop it.

John Welsford

See Oz Politics for my comment.

Deleted my comment. I'm an idiot. Thanks for picking it up.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I sometimes wonder why I keep a big boat that I rarely use. Then I come down and spend an afternoon here and stop wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could go anywhere in Balia.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You could go anywhere in Balia.
    Thats another reason. Just the ability. Although we do have generalised plans to go somewhere once the kids are all independent.

Stay well, some things change plans unexpectedly .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thats another reason. Just the ability. Although we do have generalised plans to go somewhere once the kids are all independent.

We have always encouraged our boys to think and act independently and I consider them to be that today by new age standards.
    This is despite them still living at home and I would be surprised if that will change in the near future. Our oldest is madly saving for a house while working two jobs , and Arron held out for the Gold Coast KPMG job in order to keep playing Hockey and save up for a unit.

The positive of having them at home is when we go traveling someone is looking after the house and when I decide to go sailing again Nellie has company.

Our youngest is 15, so it's a bit early to go.

Peter, yes, you never know which day is your last, or the last on which you will be able. Very much aware of that.

I feel pretty well right now so with bit of luck the mythical JIM will see a few miles under her /his ? keel.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It would be nice to see some JIM shots ....

Rick

Don't take any notice of anything that JB says! It seems like only yesterday one of us asked him if he was planning to sail Riada somewhere (like Tasmania frinstance) and HE said he was a local sailor only .......

Never trust a Kiwi!!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Don't take any notice of anything that JB says! It seems like only yesterday one of us asked him if he was planning to sail Riada somewhere (like Tasmania frinstance) and HE said he was a local sailor only .......

Never trust a Kiwi!!

Rick
    But I yam. I don't want to go further than the pacific

Fair point. You are what you eat!

Speaking of yams ..... how was the food in those islands?

Rick

We overstocked and even brought nz meat back. Not much but there you go. Markets are great and get greater as you get central. Nothing in the Southern Lau, basically roadside in Lomaloma, Vanua bulavu and as you get closer to built up... Taveuni and then Savu savu , really good town markets stalls or big covered markets. Lettuce wilts quickly , a lot of bok choi and a cabbage for green , coriander, Taro for carbs but we didn't do that much. paw paw, pineapple, bananas. I would have lost weight if it wasn't for the late run on Fiji Bitter and Gold. Its scientifically proven that nothing quenches thirst like cold beer y' know.
    I'm still struck by the sheer size of the Lautoka covered market. 10's of thousands of sq ft of it , as far as you can see and mostly fresh produce.

But of course the best market of all , and roadside drive through in one case was in the Southern Lau group. Once you've done your sevu sevu you're effectively welcomed into the island . That means take your own coconuts and pawpaw, fish. We pulled up to an overhanging coconut tree in the dinghy one day , took a nut , sliced off the top and had a drink. Better than maccas.
    Water would be an issue for a non watermaker boat. The islands didn't have any spare. One guy I met carried 1.2 tons of it. It rained a few times in june and then stopped, we caught it twice in june and thats that.
    Last edited by John B; 10-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Coconuts are wonderful things. But what food did they have in those markets? I imagine the range of food would be much more diverse in Fiji than in Tonga?

Rick

20170720_102241.jpg
    The Fulaga supply boat is in !

Everything except meat.
    Fish and vegetables , taro, breadfruit ,kasava, various cabbage variants( nicer than we get here) bok choi, coconuts, bananas, sugar, pineapple , mango just coming into season now, some potato and sweet potato. Eggs.
    yangona/ kava, and every indian spice and dried food you can imagine. More than we knew what to do with anyway. You just aren't going to starve because its all fresh , fundamentally a subsistence or near subsistence way of living where you shop , fish or garden every day if you're local. When I say subsistence I don't mean that negatively, I mean get the food , eat the food, repeat.
    Towns are just like home .. supermarkets and frozen food/ meat etc bigger and better as you get closer to ' civilisation'.
    But you can't rely on that way out. No spare food or market in Fulanga, in fact they were really run down on supplies because the monthly supply boat was a few weeks late.One boat had run themselves right down giving their own stuff away. You could buy a few bits and pieces but that would be bananas etc... not much.
    3 weeks there and then we're island hopping back up the chain and able to buy more as we went north. hell, we even bought outboard fuel in Namuka I lau.

Tonga V Fiji food? I don't know because we had limited time there and we went into Neiafu for supplies. Good market for fresh and plenty of cafe's and shops . Some Canadian ex pats with a gourmet type deli operation. Not a problem anyway. What I remember of Tonga tapu from 2011 was big markets there too.

We ate out a bit when in Neiafu , Taveuni and Savusavu , Rakiraki,Lambasa, Lautoka, Denarau, Musket cove etc. There's no issue with food safety.
    Denarau and Musket is like going to a tourist town in AU or NZ, or any other 1st world destination..

Same in Samoa isn't it Rick?

totally irrelevant photo because I didn't think the first one worked and I just hit whatever came up. Kirsty and a reef in the background , in Tonga I think.
    20170616_105535.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 10-19-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Yes, Samoa is like that. Plenty of range in supermarkets and cafes. But the local markets have nothing like the range you describe in Fiji.

Someone told me that Nukualofa hasn't changed much since the 1970s but I think that's pretty unlikely.
    Rick