Page 1115 of 1115 FirstFirst ... 11561510151065110511141115
Results 38,991 to 38,993 of 38993

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

We are packing up , and putting stuff in storage for now.
    Packing books today.
    One written by a female horse trekker in WA , that I taught to drive horses , last century.
    I feature a bit in the book , although as an "east coaster" , often the target of some smart comment.
    Another written by my uncle , describes his experiences in Changi , and the Burma railway.
    A second describes he and his army mates opening up and settling soldier settler blocks , after the war.
    Tough buggers , they were !.
    Rob J.

What’s the windlass Ian? I have a manual one ready to go but am keeping an eye out for a decent second hand 12v one
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    What’s the windlass Ian? I have a manual one ready to go but am keeping an eye out for a decent second hand 12v one
    It's a Lofrans, Greg. No idea about condition... it's disassembled and would need work by the look of it. I was going to see if I could make a bike starter from it (driven rollers)... but haven't even got to taking a look to see if that would work out.

There's an unused one on Grantala too - can't recall the brand - Kiwi one, as I got a missing bolt from there. It's 20+ years old and never driven a chain. I bought it years ago and ended up getting enough 19mm teak off the same guy to do the front deck on Grantala. I've got stacks of cut teak for the other decks.

That brings up the issue of what to do with Grantala. If I sold off stuff like that, I'd get more than the boat would bring as is. 20 or so portholes. Cast bronze stanchions, etc, etc.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"