Page 1375 of 1400 FirstFirst ... 3758751275132513651374137513761385 ... LastLast
Results 48,091 to 48,125 of 48976

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

No firewood for us so far, but we have a couple of years supply already stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Some time back I borrowed that recording from the local library, actually come to think of it that was maybe 25 years ago and it was pretty ancient then, but nevertheless, see what you can dig up in your library to regain the stories not working on your cassettes.
    Just discovered why it went blank, the tape snapped...out with the stickytape.
    Last edited by WX; 07-12-2019 at 03:56 AM.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Shake the tape around a bit and wind it forward with a biro to see if its moving freely. If all is ok fast forward one side completely before playing. To check if the tape is shredding check the tape heads after playing for 50 sec or so. If there is some gunk on the heads the tape will need baking. Most likely after re tensioning it will play fine. Ive just baked a reel of tape from a live recording i did of Mick Rudd's Ariel.
    Last edited by Hallam; 07-12-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Shake the tape around a bit and wind it forward with a biro to see if its moving freely. If all is ok fast forward one side completely before playing. To check if the tape is shredding check the tape heads after playing for 50 sec or so. If there is some gunk on the heads the tape will need baking. Most likely after re tensioning it will play fine. Ive just baked a reel of tape from a live recording i did of Mick Rudd's Ariel.
    I'll need to pull it apart first and splice it. What does baking meal? Just played the other tape and there is a fair bit of static so this idea may not be worth it. I see Amazon and Ebay have 2nd hand copies of the book quite cheap.

I'd go with the Amazon option but for your info, when a tape is old they can take in moisture. It depends of the formulation but the result is the tape shreds when played and on the larger reel to reel machines they simply stop. When you look at the heads the capstan and guides there is brown gunk or flakes on them that needs to be cleaned off. You use isopropyl alcohol on the heads and metal guider but not on the rubber of the capstan as it will melt the rubber. You remove the moisture by baking the tape for 24 hours on very low temp. A gass oven is no good as there is moisture released when gas burns, so something like a food de humidifier or light bulb in a box.
    Sticky-shed syndrome - Wikipedia
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Another question on something different. I need to replace the flashing around my flue where it exits the roof. At present I have the flue (chimney) and an outer flue which has always had a problem leaking between the two...they don't make the seal that goes between them anymore. I'm wondering if I can do away with the outer flue and just use one of those chimney boots on the chimney itself?

On ours the hat covers the inner and outer so no water gets between.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Same here, there is no seal between them.
    Big hail squalls with intermittent sunshine and a strong southerly here. About 7c in the shade.

(Thereis agitation amongst the Regatta committee to move our meetings to the pub till the weather improves. One member in Wales at present and another in Italy agree, they'll find a local pub as well. Skype will do the rest)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    On ours the hat covers the inner and outer so no water gets between.

That is possible cut I’d have to cut them down. I’d prefer to just trim the outer down close to the roof and just have the boot on the chimney flue itself. I just wondered how the boot rubber would go in contact with the hot chimney.

We spent the morning testing new auto inflation life rings over distances ranging from 5m to 15m. We had to throw them as close to a floating fender as possible. I hit the fender a couple of times.

Not well I'd say, even season by season.

I had one that was a ball undeployed. Easy to throw accurately, but a one use only device. I had occasion to throw it to a struggling child.
    http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/07/th...ation-devices/
    Throwstick looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I had one that was a ball undeployed. Easy to throw accurately, but a one use only device. I had occasion to throw it to a struggling child.
    http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/07/th...ation-devices/
    Throwstick looks good.
    These inflate, so once used you have to replace the cylinder and the activation cap. We went through six lots today. Very compact and easy to throw.

I think it would fail. Why not do it the way it's meant to be done? Sorry, I'm back on the flue.

I think it would fail. Why not do it the way it's meant to be done? Sorry, I'm back on the flue.

That is why I'm asking questions, I don't know how it should be done.

Does anyone think I can live a fulfilled and worthy life without this? Currently at $79 on Gray's Online but it has a few days to run yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That is why I'm asking questions, I don't know how it should be done.
    I think on mine the inner and outer flues are the same length, or maybe the inner is a tad taller, and the hat just slips into the inner, and has a lower fringe, below the actual hat, which extends out beyond the outer.

Does anyone think I can live a fulfilled and worthy life without this? Currently at $79 on Gray's Online but it has a few days to run yet.

That looks as dangerous as hell! Of course you should buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

We're sitting in a solid 20 knots + and we're fairly close to the beach. Offshore thankfully. But it has been sunny and the water is transparent. Maybe another day of breeze and we'll be back to toasting.

The cat that flipped wasn't the one I feared it may have been. I'm glad about that but it's tragic nevertheless.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The cat that flipped wasn't the one I feared it may have been. I'm glad about that but it's tragic nevertheless.

Rick

I don't suppose you know the name of the cat that did flip do you? I tried to get the name from a news photo but I couldn't work it out.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I've rigged a couple of old exhaust fans which have been in the shed for years because they might come in handy one day. Increase my chances of survival putting a second coat of paint on the underside of the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I don't suppose you know the name of the cat that did flip do you? I tried to get the name from a news photo but I couldn't work it out.

Sorry, no. I'll ask around.

Rick

Reminds me of the one I used to work at. You could spend all day cutting S curves into blocks of wood 2" by 2" x 5", following a pencil line with your hands within an inch of the blade. One slip and that's it.

I wonder why the cat did flip? It doesn't sound like there were unusually big seas.

Normally they land on their feet.

Too soon.

Paperback E-book

I know.

I wonder why the cat did flip? It doesn't sound like there were unusually big seas.
    From what I can find out, it's the second of that design to have an "unassisted" capsize - a third fell over after hitting a container. Seems to be quite a high-powered design for a cruiser, with a notably big rig. We've had a couple of cruising cats in the family and I've done a bit of offshore and inshore stuff on various big multis as well as our own small cats, and one thing that has always struck me is that the squaretop mainsails can increase the already very heavy mainsheet loads, to the stage where getting rid of the mainsheet in a hurry can be problematic. While I don't think cats kill more people, the propaganda that says that cruising cats don't flip is just rubbish - plenty of them do. The strangest one I know also happened not far from Sydney, when a cruiser/racer around 40 feet long capsized (again, in a winter westerly, I think) not far from shore in a shorthanded race and was abandoned. The weird thing is that it was found months or years later, back upright. I still haven't heard the full story.

My brother's 38 foot cat has a smaller roach than many other cats do, and a wishbone boom. The sheet loads are incredibly light for a boat of that type, and you could if you wanted to play the mainsheet easily. The loads on some of the other cats I've sailed are enormous. We had a "cat style" mainsheet on the J/36, by which I mean it was led to a winch each side. I found it slow and cumbersome to use unless you were doing nothing but working the main. I replaced it with the old mainsheet system off our Hobie 20, which works reasonably well (although it needs a fine tune). The fact that a tackle can come off a 20 foot beach cat and go onto a 36 foot fractional cruiser/racer says something about the mainsheet loads on cats!
    Last edited by Chris249; 07-14-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks Chris! All speculation now, of course, but if I had to guess, I'd be suggesting a jammed or slow mainsheet, or a sudden shift that put them a little higher. Those westerly gusts can hit hard here without much warning. People seem to be wondering why they were out in those conditions but I don't think there was really much swell and while it was forecast to be windy, it wasn't all that windy. That's not to say there weren't any wild gusts - there probably were

Rick

Well my deckhead is painted. Looks OK. In real life you can see where various ply joins are, like a badly flushed ceiling. And the masking of the deck beams leaves a bit to be desired. But it's done. Next job I reckon is cleats and fairleads.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Looks good Phil.
    Congratulations on not getting so frustrated you just painted over everything.
    I'd have come close at least.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I have no idea but i can visualise a scenario; high loads up high, jibe, gust, not accelerate fast enough, facing down a moderate swell, dig in one of the bows and trip over.

I love the idea of a cat but stories like that ... not sure i'd ever relax in one off shore.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

We had one capsize up this way a few years ago and it was the second time it had gone over. Not enough beam, the present owners treat it as a power cat and left the rig off.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Looks good Phil.
    Congratulations on not getting so frustrated you just painted over everything.
    I'd have come close at least.
    Thanks. In the aft cabin the beams were painted and the old deckhead was varnished. I masked the beams and painted the deckhead. Now there are some little bits of unpainted ply where the masking was a bit off. I guess I'll paint the lot back there some time. The old cream colour which I used to think of as white is now showing as very grubby yellow. It never ends.