Page 1122 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 1226221022107211121121112211231132 ... LastLast
Results 39,236 to 39,270 of 40216

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Asap View Post

That said, I’d never worry too much - or at all really - about being called an idiot. Everyone gets annoyed from time to time and those things are best left to float by.
    True, and often I’d be the first to agree when I’ve done something idiotic, but to be called one for something as ridiculous and innocently intended as this by someone who you thought was a friend and who’s opinion you held in high regard is, well, startlingly revealing..........
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Missprint - conservative weight is 550, which may still get the stripped down boat down to weight. Probably easier to get my hands on a 4WD for towing regularly but there's no harm in looking at options. Etchells trailers are light, probably because weight is centralised.

Towing at 80kmh is no problem since it would not be for long distances or regularly; more a once every couple of years thing.
    When the Dragon came down from Brisbane, I sent the keel by road transport company. If I recall the figures correctly, the boat without keel is 700 kg. Add the trailer - and in this case, we simply plonked the yard trailer on top of my double-axle, braked trailer. I suspect that I was pretty close to the weight limit, but didn't run it over a weighbridge. That'd be close to the 2 ton limit at which I'd have needed the break-away (expensive) setup.

As it was, I used double the fuel coming back with the load on as I did towing the unladen trailer up
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Not offended.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Missprint - conservative weight is 550, which may still get the stripped down boat down to weight. Probably easier to get my hands on a 4WD for towing regularly but there's no harm in looking at options. Etchells trailers are light, probably because weight is centralised.

Towing at 80kmh is no problem since it would not be for long distances or regularly; more a once every couple of years thing.
    I bought a tractor with a bunch of implements, in Tasmania quite a few years ago. Hired a car trailer and drove down in our VW Transporter to collect it. Loaded up tractor, slasher, 2 ploughs. Probably about 3 1/2 tonne on the trailer, plus the trailer weight, and half a tonne on the tray of the VW. Long slow trip home, but didn't get stopped by the boys in blue. Lucky that.

You can call me an idiot if you like. Free pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    You can call me an idiot if you like. Free pass.

Me too, I have the certificate.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I've got the prescription!

the I've been called several kinds of idiot on various threads. Hard to argue against given my track record even though I've occasionally put up a hackled response or three. But yeah, take a free swing. I'm game.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I bought a tractor with a bunch of implements, in Tasmania quite a few years ago. Hired a car trailer and drove down in our VW Transporter to collect it. Loaded up tractor, slasher, 2 ploughs. Probably about 3 1/2 tonne on the trailer, plus the trailer weight, and half a tonne on the tray of the VW. Long slow trip home, but didn't get stopped by the boys in blue. Lucky that.
    Behind a Transporter? You're an idiot. :-)

I used to tow a 20'er behind a 1977 VW camper, but it was only a Flying 15 which weighs in at 330kg. For a while I actually had to tow it with a 900cc(?) Charade out of an extremely steep and short street, up a curve. If you didn't drop the clutch just right from take-off, you'd have to back all the way down and into the neighbour's drive for another go. Ah, the sound of clutches in the morning.

I towed a TS16 from Melbourne to Adelaide with my darling wife's slightly dodgy Holden Astra. It looked all wrong spatially but the Astra did the job really well. It handled launches and retrievals OK too except the time I managed to get both the car and trailer bogged to the axles on Largs beach.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Since we are talking about towing, it wasn't a boat but I was talked into towing a mates Old heavy Rover with my HR panel van using a tow road fr the hips of Valhalla to Melbourne. A new clutch was needed towards the end of the journey.....we made it though!
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Fiat 850 Sport. Hartley TS 16. Adelaide to Goolwa on a regular basis. I was quite young.

Fiat 850 Sport. Hartley TS 16. Adelaide to Goolwa on a regular basis. I was quite young.
    That's going to be hard to beat.
    Paperback E-book

Here I was thinking towing my 17ft sweet pea with an '85 BMW 323i was going to be touch and go...

Some of those Tassie Bluegums I mentioned a few weeks ago are coming down today. Lucas mill on site next week hopefully.

See the person in hi vis on the ground? Quite tall trees. A couple of gnarly ones but mostly tall straight and no branches for the first 60 feet or so.

Some of those Tassie Bluegums I mentioned a few weeks ago are coming down today. Lucas mill on site next week hopefully.
    Sweet! Got a spare shed to store it all in?
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I'll be interested to see the quality of timber the Lucas Mill produces. How old are those trees Phil?
    Grateful Dead

Okay, I'm told my post caused a stink so here goes - I was annoyed by various things and, foolishly posted in haste. Always a bad idea. I use the term 'idiot' frequently and too easily - I think everyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot - so to speak. Anyway, it really wasn't my intention to upset Rob or Greg, I actually do have very high regard for both of them, and count them as friends. I'm sorry I used the language I did and very sorry that I caused offence.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A magnificent morning here in the mad city. We're staying at the RSYS surrounded by Etchells and Dragons - even our room has Dragons on the wall. We're crewing in the Gaffers Regatta today. There'll be about 90 boats so it's sure to be a disaster. Dorade is included and about 20 Couta boats. There's a magnificent restoration here called Nina - really beautiful boat. I know nothing about it. Sydney Harbour really does have the most outstanding collection of wooden boats so I'm looking forward to this opportunity to see a few of them. Waitangi will be out there, although not participating. I'll see if I can snap a few photos but might be too busy.

Rick
    Okay, I'm told my post caused a stink so here goes - I was annoyed by various things and, foolishly posted in haste. Always a bad idea. I use the term 'idiot' frequently and too easily - I think everyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot - so to speak. Anyway, it really wasn't my intention to upset Rob or Greg, I actually do have very high regard for both of them, and count them as friends. I'm sorry I used the language I did and very sorry that I caused offence.

Rick
    Welcome back. Now, where are those photos of your Sydney sailing?

Welcome back Rick.

With a bit of summer on the way it was time today to explore a few of Balias dirty little secrets. I found one spot on the foredeck where the ply under the teak is rotten.

2 on the side deck right next those pesky leaky port lights where the teak moves and although the ply looks ok from underneath has to be suspect.

And one tricky little corner at the front of the aft cabin where I've always had a small leak and which I knew would be trouble. I started to scratch below the paint today. And wasn't really surprised that I got in quite deep. It reminded me bit of the cyst our cow had recently

Not boats, horseflesh. I hope Rob is reading.
    Drove a Clydesdale around a paddock today doing a dry run with a mouldboard plough. Not in action, but still bloody hard work. Luckily Syd the horse knew more about what was going on than me!

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Not boats, horseflesh. I hope Rob is reading.
    Drove a Clydesdale around a paddock today doing a dry run with a mouldboard plough. Not in action, but still bloody hard work. Luckily Syd the horse knew more about what was going on than me!
    Rob was driven off a few days ago. He last looked in on 11 October.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    That's going to be hard to beat.
    Alberg 30 from Ft Myers Fl to Vancouver luckily the clutch on my F150 burnt out and a transport company took over.

Thanks Patrick, Phil. I'm not really back though, but I said I'd post the few photos I took with my phone last weekend, so here goes.

The first one is actually after the regatta, for the Kiwis:

RSYS.jpg

The next one is an old metre boat called Defiance.

Defiance.jpg

The next is Dorade

Dorade.jpg

Then we have some Rangers and Couta boats, and then this guy in red shorts who apparently used to have a share in a Couta boat.

Lined up.jpg

PM.jpg

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 10-13-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Some nice looking boats there Rick. I was wondering if youd just popped back in to clear the air, but do hope you hang around. I enjoy your contribution, and would hate to see this thread die a slow death. You know it was this thread that made all the support and entertainment which went into and came out of Bruce's voyage possible. That alone must surely be enough to make it worth hanging on. And I for one promise to try to observe the rules. Including the unwritten one, which I think you touched on earlier, this should be a positive place, not just no politics, but no negative, snide, running people down, gratuitously nasty or offensive stuff. A gentlemans club if you will.

Looks like sail covers which cover the end of the boom are a thing too. Makes sense.

Agreed ! This thread is a good institution.
    Grateful Dead

Sad but cheap………………. 30ft.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rose...0ft/1160556385

And this, historic, and free. Bit of work there…………….
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/safe...ure/1160041443

Sad but cheap………………. 30ft.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rose...0ft/1160556385
    The old coaster or whatever in the background looks more interesting.

Thanks Phil - yes, all of that. I'm imposing exile for a little while nevertheless. I can't see the thread dying without me - far from it! I do ask that we bear in mind that the thread should attract people interested in wooden boats - I think a widening network benefits us all. Enough from me.

Rick

…and another, Tassie, needs about as much TLC as Arawana.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fran...ity/1157781124

"The old coaster or whatever in the background looks more interesting."
    Probably not wood, but raised quarter deck and forecastle is interesting. There is some lettering on the hull midships I think, 'DO(?)…….. a lighter?
    Is that Wellington in the background?

Thanks Phil - yes, all of that. I'm imposing exile for a little while nevertheless. I can't see the thread dying without me - far from it! I do ask that we bear in mind that the thread should attract people interested in wooden boats - I think a widening network benefits us all. Enough from me.

Rick
    I'd say everyone who logs into this forum is interested in wooden boats Rick.
    Grateful Dead

…and another, Tassie, needs about as much TLC as Arawana.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/fran...ity/1157781124

She needs a lot more work than Arawana.