X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattSplatt
    • Feb 2014

Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Originally posted by WX
    Bloody cold last night I wore everything I had to bed. Bad idea not having the extra sleeping bag on the boat. Got a lot done today but had to take Redwing around to the pumpout dock to do the sanding. It was nice to get off the dock though.
    Because of dust, or the power connection? I use a crappy $50 Ozito vac on my little Bosch ROS, and the combo releases NO dust. None at all. It's unreal.

Comment

• RFNK
      Port Stephens, Australia
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by epoxyboy
      German reliability aint what it used to be, the forums make for interesting reading. Did you know that to replace the starter on an A class (a relay on the starter is a common failure), you have to drop the entire engine out? Fascinating!

Pete
      Fascinating. In the same way that the sports pages of last week's Port Stephens Examiner are fascinating. Or SBS's new food channel ....

Rick
      Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• RFNK
        Port Stephens, Australia
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MattSplatt
        Put a new starter motor on the Subie yesterday. I was aiming to clean it up and re-use, but the brushes were stuffed. I found an overseas source for the brushes and holder for about $30. Then I decided the commutator was probably too rooted to be much use anyway. So I got a whole starter motor brand new off the shelf locally for $200 with a 2yr warranty. Can't complain too much about that. And in a Subie the starter's on top, so I barely had to bend my back to R&R it. Crappy original one only lasted 20 years and 270,000km.

Boats! I ... um... didn't do anything boat related this weekend.
        Nor did I. I wanted to go to Sydney for the Wood Show but had a bad cold (is there any other sort of cold?) and was forbidden. I suspect the real reason was budgetary but my protests were too diluted by litres of s ... , er .... , cold stuff.

Rick
        Rick

Comment

• The Bigfella
          Banned
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RFNK
          Fascinating. In the same way that the sports pages of last week's Port Stephens Examiner are fascinating. Or SBS's new food channel ....

Rick
          Let's talk Tourags then... I believe the body has to come off to replace a turbo in the V10 diesel models. I still want one...

Comment

• MattSplatt
            • Feb 2014

If the turbo needs to be replaced, how are you supposed to achieve sufficient velocity to tear the body off it?

Comment

• RFNK
              Port Stephens, Australia
              • Feb 2007

There really has to be a forum for tourags.

Rick
              Rick

Comment

• The Bigfella
                Banned
                • Oct 2006

If the turbo needs to be replaced, how are you supposed to achieve sufficient velocity to tear the body off it?

With one of those things, even without the turbo, I reckon it'd go fast enough to tear the body off.

Comment

• The Bigfella
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2006

There really has to be a forum for tourags.

Rick
                  Yep... but they speel it funnie

Club Touareg Forum is a forum community dedicated to Volkswagen Touareg owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!

Comment

• brucemoffatt
                    • Apr 2012

Last one for now, I promise.

I actually got Sheila's Merc to start again today, and keep running. Sort of. It took all sorts of pedalistic gymnastics to pump the revs up, but after it got to about 3000 it started running smoother, so I let it whine at that level for a minute. Then it sort of ran OK at 1500 to 3500, no load, just in the driveway. Then it settled into a rough idle around 500 to 1200, but didn't cut out. I didn't dare take it on the road. I've used up most of my brownie points with the RAA for this week and another tow home might be expensive. But for whatever reason, it ran. Also, it didn't pop up a 'check engine warning' light, which concerns me, as at times it was running very rough.
                    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Comment

• RFNK
                      Port Stephens, Australia
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by brucemoffatt
                      Last one for now, I promise.

I actually got Sheila's Merc to start again today, and keep running. Sort of. It took all sorts of pedalistic gymnastics to pump the revs up, but after it got to about 3000 it started running smoother, so I let it whine at that level for a minute. Then it sort of ran OK at 1500 to 3500, no load, just in the driveway. Then it settled into a rough idle around 500 to 1200, but didn't cut out. I didn't dare take it on the road. I've used up most of my brownie points with the RAA for this week and another tow home might be expensive. But for whatever reason, it ran. Also, it didn't pop up a 'check engine warning' light, which concerns me, as at times it was running very rough.
                      Don't worry, I'm only kidding. I think it's great that people can use this thread to get help with cars etc.

Just wake me up when it's over.

Rick
                      Rick

Comment

• MattSplatt
                        • Feb 2014

Rick
                        Remember to connect up your remote-activated-electric-shock wristband and tell us the code for it, and we'll do just that!

Comment

• The Bigfella
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2006

Don't worry, I'm only kidding. I think it's great that people can use this thread to get help with cars etc.

Rick
                          Excellent.

Any tips on re-profiling and re-covering a BMW Funduro seat?

Comment

• PeterSibley
                            • Dec 2001

Youtube has vids Ian.
                            '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
                            Grateful Dead

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

Remember to connect up your remote-activated-electric-shock wristband and tell us the code for it, and we'll do just that!
                              Connected. Code is BOAT

Enjoy.

Rick
                              Rick

Comment

• auscruisertom
                                • Mar 2011

Classic first place finish in our division on the Tweed today, encountering some of the lightest conditions I have ever experienced. Persistence paid of for us , with many competitors being towed in or resorting to using paddles. The tide finally turned in our favour with some light Southerly's enabling us to cross the line.

Comment

Working...