Page 1195 of 1269 FirstFirst ... 19569510951145118511941195119612051245 ... LastLast
Results 41,791 to 41,825 of 44390

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The 7'6 Nutshell has a good reputation. Good plans and instructions. Looks great. Only problem we had is the imperial measurements on the plans. Does your head in.
    Did you finish building the Nutshell ? Have you tried it out.

The Nutshell is a great dinghy. We're very happy with the Nereia derivative we built too. Plans are in the Herreshoff book on cruising designs but we changed it a lot to save weight.

Rick

To the left Stott’s Island and to the right ladies and gentlemen we have Mt Warning.
    AB7F9B99-EACB-495F-B1DB-362084B53945.jpg
    Last edited by WX; 04-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Did you finish building the Nutshell ? Have you tried it out.
    You mean did Henry? No, not yet. It's right side up now, a bit more sanding to do in the inside before it gets a coat of epoxy. Then gunnels and thwarts. I'm hoping he might do a bit on it these holidays.

6 4x2s at 3.1 thanks.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

It decided we had had enough of dry heat and calm blue-sky days around lunch time, and by 2:30pm it had become this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Just been scanning some old photos. This was a postcard sent by my grandfather, after a rough trip from Coffs Harbour to Sydney by boat... The Pier Hotel, a couple of years before it burnt down (the original was there 1905 - 1914).
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Fierce. Glad I closed the hatches yesterday.

Nearly did myself an injury today, tripped on the curb and went head first into a steel post. It connected with the back of my head. Lucky I have a thick skull.

Ouch ! I'm glad you're OK, are you ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Nearly did myself an injury today, tripped on the curb and went head first into a steel post. It connected with the back of my head. Lucky I have a thick skull.

Sorry, I'm trying to picture you going head first and belting a steel pole with the back of your head. You weren't on a skateboard, I take it, so I'm thinking some tricky athletics. Well done.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Gary is an accidental acrobat !
    Grateful Dead

I was stepping up onto the curb at the bus stop and the front of my thong must have caught the edge next thing I knew I was falling forward and no way to stop my self. I must have half rolled because the back of my head hit the post. Made quite a noise on impact. I was a bit shaken at first but I seem fine. No cuts or even a lump. The woman sitting there was surprised I was okay.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The Nutshell is a great dinghy. We're very happy with the Nereia derivative we built too. Plans are in the Herreshoff book on cruising designs but we changed it a lot to save weight.

Rick
    Thanks guys OK the Nurshell it is.

Just relaxing with a nice red while tending my fish in the smoker.
    De stressing after spending hours establishing passwords countless other no. security codes ect then listing income ,assets ,shares ect ect.
    After being unable to rectify my alleged Torres St Islander heritage which aperently qualified me due to never having visited their office , I gave up and spend over one hour waiting at Centrelink to have them rectify a glitch in their system. This is just for the privilege of a Health care card.
    Good grief now I understand why they need two burly Security’s at their offices
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-13-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Did any of our Kiwis ever have a Trekka?

Rick
    Skoda Museum in Czech Republic and City Gallery, Wellington both embracing classic Kiwi SUV. https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/103021319/dont-forget-the-firstever-skoda-suv-was-designed-and-built-in-new-zealand

Glad you are getting that eye done Gary. Depth perception is a wonderful thing. Glad to hear no serious damage too.

I don't know how many of you have access to Afloat magazine? It seems to be mainly NSW. Aaaaanyway, the April edition has an article by Bruce Stannard on Norway's Wooden Boat Festival. Those of you who like boats pointy at the wrong end and loads of varnish will enjoy it.

Rick

We've just had a thunderstorm here. Some freaky gusts, lots of hail, horizontal rain, plenty of noise, terrified dogs and water right across the rooms where we'd left the windows open. It'll all dry.

Rick

I don't know how many of you have access to Afloat magazine? It seems to be mainly NSW. Aaaaanyway, the April edition has an article by Bruce Stannard on Norway's Wooden Boat Festival. Those of you who like boats pointy at the wrong end and loads of varnish will enjoy it.

Rick
    That would be fun!

Grateful Dead

It wood.

Rick

I happened upon an old Danish, I think, fishing boat, which I thought had been lost when one of the local boat yards got shut down in the name of development a few years ago. Seems she's been moved rather than destroyed. Not looking great. Biiiiig project for someone. I'll try to remember to get a photo. She's quite a ship.

It would help if you were young, strong and possibly owned a sawmill.
    Grateful Dead

I had a productive day, I lifted and potted up a bit over 170 red cedar seedlings from an area the power authority runs a mulcher through, my power lines are above.

Grateful Dead

I hope you're not going potty Mr S!

That's great! I wouldn't know a cedar seedling if I fell over one. In fact, I don't think I'd even recognise the tree. I know the wood well but not the tree. What will you do with these?

Rick

I support the local Environment Centre by growing rainforest seedlings, potting them up and donating them, somewhere near, if not quite 1000 a year.
    Grateful Dead

A bit blowy down your way this morning Jeff?

Rick

A bit blowy up here too.
    Grateful Dead

Still windy and rainy here. The rain is very welcome.

It's still now .

I know Rick, it always is .
    Grateful Dead

Very blowy, but I forgive it. 18 mm rain to 9am sunday.

Huzzah, we have a house full of music. Our son James has an eight part a Cappella group here this evening rehearsing for a show of his. It's a program of Icelandic music and legend. I was all at sea the last time the show was performed but I won't miss the next one, which will be performed at the SA Museum. I'll miss the following one though, which will be performed in Hobart as part of the Festival of Voices program. Anyway, a rehearsal is always worth overhearing just for the fun of the creative process.

Joy.

Paperback E-book

What, you won't be in Hobart?

I’m starting to think Peter has the right idea in having a trailerable boat. All I’ve done since July is repair rot, now it’s not only foredeck but a sizeable section of Port bow as well. The port bow ply only feels soft on the outside in one fairly small patch but inside it’s a different matter. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could haul out easily but the slip here is expensive.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I’m starting to think Peter has the right idea in having a trailerable boat. All I’ve done since July is repair rot, now it’s not only foredeck but a sizeable section of Port bow as well. The port bow ply only feels soft on the outside in one fairly small patch but inside it’s a different matter. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could haul out easily but the slip here is expensive.
    I know that feeling. It always brings back to mind that old adage - the two happiest days of a boat owners life.....
    I've got soft patches under my deck, for and aft, and around the deck fittings for the stays. Worried about he carlins taking it up. Longer i leave it...... but need bloody crane to get it out of the water - and truck - and......$$$'s
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Anyone start a thread on the National Maritime Museum Traditional Boat Festival? I took some pictures.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.