Page 1193 of 1233 FirstFirst ... 1936931093114311831192119311941203 ... LastLast
Results 41,721 to 41,755 of 43131

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

I'm happy about as far North as Currumbin, the rest is genuine GC.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Perfect day down at the boat today. Rebedding the portlights on the hatches. With butyl tape. Seems like good stuff. Sticky. But not as messy as the stuff in a tube. Careful though, it sticks to whatever it touches and doesn't want to come off. I discovered all the machine screws on the forward one had been cut off flush with the nuts in situ. Which basically means I can't get the nuts on. So pull the screws out. Leave the Perspex in place. Take screws home and clean up the ends on the bench grinder. It's a slow process when every step takes another day. BBQ chicken sausages for lunch. Then a quiet lie down I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well bugger. I hosed the deck down. Of the 2 dead lights in the deck I fixed with butyl mastic, one is actually fixed. The other still leaks. I don't even know how that's physically possible. The stuff is like whipped cream but sticky. How can there be a path for water? I epoxied the ply that the plastic sits on. I used plenty of mastic, got good coverage and squeeze out. I just don't get it.

Has to still be a seam there or a leaky fastening. Annoying!

Rick

I'm going to try more goop and if that doesn't work the teak is coming off.

There is some soft ply o the downhill side. That probably extends under the teak. I dug it out as much as I could and epoxied it as much as I could. And I'd have thought the butyl would stop anything that or past that. But I guess that's probably the problem. I suspect I will find lots of nasty patches when the teak comes off. Plenty of fastener heads showing and failed seams for water to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Has to still be a seam there or a leaky fastening. Annoying!

Rick
    The screw or bolt. I did a great job, don't spoil the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar type, bedding the old secondary anchor winch and bugger me....it leaked. Nefarious too, took a long period of rain or a long sail to start.
    As an experiment trying to locate the source I duct taped little squares over the countersunk bolt heads.

Yes, that's right. Duct tape . Fixed.
    Last edited by John B; 04-06-2018 at 04:06 PM.

But only you would build a dodger from duct tape.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The screw or bolt. I did a great job, don't spoil the ship for a ha'penny worth of tar type, bedding the old secondary anchor winch and bugger me....it leaked. Nefarious too, took a long period of rain or a long sail to start.
    As an experiment trying to locate the source I duct taped little squares over the countersunk bolt heads.

Yes, that's right. Duct tape . Fixed.
    Cant really be a screw or bolt, I don't think. The dead lights are just circles of Perspex, which have a rebate cut into both sides around the edge. Top and bottom. They essentially just sit in the hole in the deck. There are no fastenings through the Perspex. Then a chromed bronze trim ring sits on top and is screwed into the deck. The top rebate in the Perspex allows the trim ring to sit flush with the top,of the Perspex. The screws that hold the ring down do not go right throughthe deck. The Perspex sits on the ply, not the teak. The mastic seal is between the Perspex and the ply, on the horizontal deck surface, and also on the vertical circumference of the deck hole and the inner edge of the underside rebate. If that makes sense. I think at the moment I have 8 out of 12 sealed, which is as good as it's ever been, but I'd really like 100%

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking at that bottom picture, my first reaction is How the heck could you possibly seal that mess? But bear in mind that although it's a bit messy, it's all epoxied. It's just the top surface of a bit of ply, surrounded by teak. And it's thoroughly slathered with goop before the Perspex is placed. But I guess that 45 year old mess has to be the problem? With nice clean fresh ply, surely the system would work. That particular one by the way, is not leaking. It's the one in the top pic that leaks.

But I'm getting increasingly keen to get rid of the teak, deal with whatever nasties I find lurking beneath, glass or dynel over and hopefully be done with it. My great fear is doing all that, and finding new leaks!
    Last edited by Phil Y; 04-06-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Old Sikaflex will separate from the teak and leak. You might have a leak away from the light and water running along to the edge of the light.

Glassing your deck is a really good idea. It'll be cooler and a lot more waterproof but you can still get leaks at hatches, hardware fastenings etc. so you still have to be fastidious with sealing all the fittings. But you won't regret sorting out your deck properly. Teak stripped decks just don't work in Australia.

Rick

Looking at your pictures Phil I would be exploring The stainless U bolt fastener as Rick suggested old Sitka Flexing.

Also if your coamings are plywood I would be tempted to check if there is any water trapped behind them ,which could have leaked from underneath the cap rail. Just drill a small hole into the coaming close to the teak deck.

Good luck .

The old sika or whatever is farked and clearly does nothing in lots of places. I still don't get how quite a lot of water like a third of a cup got in from a pretty quick hose down. That's not capillary action from elsewhere. Certainly no ply bulwarks Tom. Anyway found a dinghy for Bruce and it's free. Bonus crab net too

I'm not suspecting capillary action. I just think there has to be a crack there somewhere that just lets water flow through. I mean, there has to be for so much water to get in. As you know, water will run a long way, making leaks so difficult to diagnose. Uneven mating surfaces are another classic culprit but the goop should have filled any voids, assuming you weren't stingy with it.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The old sika or whatever is farked and clearly does nothing in lots of places. I still don't get how quite a lot of water like a third of a cup got in from a pretty quick hose down. That's not capillary action from elsewhere. Certainly no ply bulwarks Tom. Anyway found a dinghy for Bruce and it's free. Bonus crab net too

There's no "Take Me I'm Free" sign on that boat so I left it there. I suspect it blew onto someone's dock and they put it there hoping the owner turns up. I have enough grief without having a yobbo turn up and call me out for nicking his dinghy.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Anyways, masses of goop added. Should be good now

The two products I trust most for sealing are mastic and foam strips. I haven't tried mastic tape. I think I'd try it for bedding deck hardware like stations but I wouldn't think it would be much good for hatches etc. I've lost faith in Fixtech and other rubbery goop as I think it can shrink away a bit as it hardens. I'll still use it for fastenings where you can create a sort of o-ring seal with it.

Rick

I'm really impressed with the butyl tape I've used on the big dead lights in the hatches, and I've certainly read about it being good for bedding Perspex or lexan. I wouldn't use it as the gasket on an opening hatch, too sticky.

Well bugger. I hosed the deck down. Of the 2 dead lights in the deck I fixed with butyl mastic, one is actually fixed. The other still leaks. I don't even know how that's physically possible. The stuff is like whipped cream but sticky. How can there be a path for water? I epoxied the ply that the plastic sits on. I used plenty of mastic, got good coverage and squeeze out. I just don't get it.
    I've been wrestling with leaks of this nature since I launched. When David and I were repairing Redwing he said to keep an eye on the port bow area. Today I noticed soft ply in some of the deck ply.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I'm watching an eBay auction for a tender. It's very exciting. Unfortunately it's in Sydney so I'm not bidding.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

It went for $235.50 plus delivery to Adelaide if I'd bid. Right price, looked ok, probably the right size if the seller had a steady hand.

Paperback E-book

Balia had an impromptu sunset cruise this evening. Had family down for dinner, and they talked me into casting off.

There was a bit of talk too about sailing down to Tassie in January. We have a nephew who is marrying his boyfriend late January. And then of course there's that boat show thing. Maybe stay till March/April.

Sad sight up the Northern end of North Haven beach, a 20 something foot sailboat up on the beach. Sitting upright in a pile of seaweed. Seems like the tiller had broken off. I suspect the rudder was gone. Not sure if she was a centreboard or keel boat. Outboard bracket just about torn off the transom. Anchor line heading out to sea. I saw her heading out the other day when I was working on Balia. Seems like things went bad.

Oh and while I'm here talking to myself, my brother in law used to run a shoe making business, but they've shut it down. Now doing a bit of a clean up and have asked me if I'd like to come and pick up the industrial sewing machine I used to do some repairs on my sail,cover a while ago. You betcha! Slightly bad timing as I've bout a Singer, which is Melbourne, for $50.00 just have to get it to here some time. It never rains but it pours.

Oh and while I'm here talking to myself, my brother in law used to run a shoe making business, but they've shut it down. Now doing a bit of a clean up and have asked me if I'd like to come and pick up the industrial sewing machine I used to do some repairs on my sail,cover a while ago. You betcha! Slightly bad timing as I've bout a Singer, which is Melbourne, for $50.00 just have to get it to here some time. It never rains but it pours.

Good score! You can always sell one.

Paperback E-book

Tempted to suggest we resurrect the GBC. There's a Dudley Dix 39 going to a worthy new custodian, and I officially retire in July. The boat is in the US. Sheila would divorce me, I suspect.

Paperback E-book

I think Ted Hoppe has some connection with a decent looking boat he wants someone to get back to NZ. That voyage could take, well, as long as you wanted it to take I guess.

Sad sight up the Northern end of North Haven beach, a 20 something foot sailboat up on the beach. Sitting upright in a pile of seaweed. Seems like the tiller had broken off. I suspect the rudder was gone. Not sure if she was a centreboard or keel boat. Outboard bracket just about torn off the transom. Anchor line heading out to sea. I saw her heading out the other day when I was working on Balia. Seems like things went bad.
    Worse event in Perth.
    Apparently this 50' Halvo hit a reef on Friday morning, got stuck and broke up over the day. No more details about where.
    Just a few large pieces of a memory left.
    Photos arent mine - they are from a FB wooden boat forum.

Untitled 1.jpgUntitled 2.jpgUntitled 3.jpgUntitled 4.jpg

What a disaster ! I hope no one was lost.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Oh dear

Luckily no-one lost in that mess, just the boat destroyed.
    I heard via the Halvo club that the restoration was only completed in December.

Sitting in town waiting on a timing belt renew, drinking coffee and eating waist expanding yummies.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Sitting in town waiting on a timing belt renew, drinking coffee and eating waist expanding yummies.
    Now I don't know whether to call you a hippy or a hipster. What kind of coffee?
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Now I don't know whether to call you a hippy or a hipster. What kind of coffee?
    I just asked and was told Pacerro but a search doesn’t find it, maybe I misheard. Anyway double shot latte.