Page 1384 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3848841284133413741383138413851394 ... LastLast
Results 48,406 to 48,440 of 48868

Thread: Antipodean Boats Connection

Default Re: Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    They where part of Paul’s arrival crew on the Roziante I don’t know any of the names.
    The yacht was Celeste and it was Deb and Justin.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The yacht was Celeste and it was Deb and Justin.
    Right that’s them .Fast little boat throughout the course I only managed to beat them to the first mark once.and we soon gave up that advantage with a spinnaker launch that wasn’t quite as schmick as when I was racing my old Blazer 23 at the SYC Holywell.
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 08-13-2019 at 04:45 AM.

Right that’s them .Fast little boat throughout the course I only managed to beat them to the first mark once.and we soon gave up that advantage with a spinnaker launch that wasn’t quite as schmick as when I was racing my old Blazer 23 at the SYC Holywell.
    They have a house on the community next door to us.

They have a house on the community next door to us.
    Small wonder I am confused they live on Lamb , but have a house in the community next to you .
    Next thing you will be telling me is that they’re vegans.

Flexetarians. It's the new thing for people who want to feel a little bit good about their opulent consumer lifestyle. They probably love nothing more than a nice organic fair trade chai.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Small wonder I am confused they live on Lamb , but have a house in the community next to you .
    Next thing you will be telling me is that they’re vegans.
    Not that I know of but their house on Lamb is quite nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Flexetarians. It's the new thing for people who want to feel a little bit good about their opulent consumer lifestyle. They probably love nothing more than a nice organic fair trade chai.

I got called ableist on Facebook because I corrected someone for using your instead of you’re.

No pain last night, going to the hospital was a good idea.

I got called ableist on Facebook because I corrected someone for using your instead of you’re.
    Maybe they were thinking your looking for trouble, but then again that's you're choice.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

In the interest of online peace and harmony;

It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I made some brackets for the exhaust hose, which has an external diameter of about 72mm. I got a metal tube of about that diameter and laid it on a board. I then added a couple of strips of 45 degree timber and laid them along the tube to close the gap between the sides of the tube and the board. I then covered the whole thing in packing tape. Then I glassed over the whole thing with 8 layers of double-bias glass and exoxy and put peel ply over that. I clamped the flats (the bases of the brackets) down with strips of timber wrapped in packing tape.

The cured glass breaks away from the packing tape fairly easily. You then end up with a long bracket shaped thing which can be cut into separate brackets. I made 5.

I did the same thing to make some brackets for a smaller hose for a 38mm bilge pump.

The emergency bilge pump is located in the lazarette now but is operated from the back of the cockpit. The hose runs from the lazarette, through a bulkhead into the engine bay, under the engine, through another bulkhead/floor and into the bilge well under the cabin. The problem with that is that there are already several holes through that floor and i'm not keen to drill another big one for 38mm hose. So, as an alternative, I'm going to use a Y-connector (Trudesign 25-25-38) to split the hose into two smaller hoses before it goes through the floor and run them both into the bilge well. I'll be able to utilise existing holes to do that. I guess it also has the advantage that if one hose gets blocked, the pump should still work, and it won't let anything through that's big enough to block the pump.

I'm also in the middle of installing the second fuel tank in the lazarette. Well, it was going to be the second tank but I've decided that it'll become the only tank. The old tank is under the cabin sole and I've decided to remove it and use the space for other things, like a fridge, perhaps. I've never really liked fuel in the cabin. The new tank is 88 litres and I'll have a deck filler. With a few extra cans for trips, I think 88 litres will be plenty. The old tank is about 60. I haven't removed it yet. I want to complete the new installation before I remove it.

I'll take some photos ......

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Maybe they were thinking your looking for trouble, but then again that's you're choice.
    We all need to just get passed this grammatical correctness. Who cares how someone past their sentence. People should just stop being so parsimonious.

The bracket thing sounds very elegant. Looking forward to pictures. Much better than the usual stainless steel strap. 88 litres. I think I have about 1200. I last filled up 3 1/2 years ago.

We had 100 litres to cross the Tasman. I can carry about 100 litres in cans if I have to. Keeping a lot of diesel for a long time on a boat really isn't great. The fuel goes off - picks up moisture and fungus - sy stuff. Tanks should really be kept quite full so, for me, it's better to have a fairly small tank. Not that 88 litres is all that small for a yacht .....

I'm really happy with the fibreglass brackets I've been making. I started making angle brackets to install stuff in the house. They're easy to make by just wrapping a bit of 4x2 in packing tape and glassing that. Wrapping it in peel ply then gives you a really neat job. Then just rip the whole thing through with a saw and you have four lengths of fibreglass angle. If they need to be stiff and strong, just use more glass.

Our friend David is building a 25' trailerable power boat from foam and glass. He's going to put the whole interior together - floors, bulkheads, lockers, cupboards etc. with fibreglass angle made this way. The local boatbuilders who make Caraboats, catamarans etc., they also put pretty much everything together in this way. No fasteners - just fibreglass angle and glue.

I only really needed the round brackets for hose in the lazarette and engine bay so I didn't worry much about getting a neat job - as they're not very popular places with visitors. But the brackets are neat enough and certainly strong. It took about an hour to make the 5 exhaust hose brackets and, I guess, about $10 or less in materials.

I'll take some photos. I thought about taking some when I was doing it but I was rushing a bit so didn't. Next time! So, the photos will be the brackets already installed.

Rick

A bottle of wine and a glass of cordial (I hope it's cordial!).

Rick

Yep, someone got confused there, the glass is for wine, the ocean is for that nasty yellow stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    We all need to just get passed this grammatical correctness. Who cares how someone past their sentence. People should just stop being so parsimonious.

Consider it all in the passed, or if you are a computer geek, consider it all in the parsed.

Hey Rick I am surprised you are not using collapsible fuel tanks.

Did David sell his big boat?

Why would I use collapsible fuel tanks? I'd need to build a container for each one, they cost the same or more and solid tanks are a lot easier to monitor and maintain. I can see the value for some boats with awkward spaces but not ours. And can you imagine trying to fill one of those things in a seaway? It's hard enough topping up a solid tank at sea!

Yes, Lavinda was sold a couple of months ago to some Sydney people.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-14-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    A bottle of wine and a glass of cordial (I hope it's cordial!).

Rick
    Vin jaune?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm going to use a Y-connector (Trudesign 25-25-38) to split the hose into two smaller hoses before it goes through the floor and run them both into the bilge well. I'll be able to utilise existing holes to do that. I guess it also has the advantage that if one hose gets blocked, the pump should still work, and it won't let anything through that's big enough to block the pump.

Is there a danger that if one hose isn't submerged the pump will prefer to suck air over water? But I suppose if they both run to the same spot then it's quits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Yes, exactly. So I'll have the two hoses finishing at the same level and only about 100mm apart. It's an emergency pump so the inlets will be located in the well but well above the automatic pump etc.

Rick

Hi Antipodeans. Long time no read or write, just been working hard over here. We're off on Saturday, first leg Botany Bay to America Bay in Broken Bay. Sheltering from Northerlies and keepinf an eye on the wind to reach Port Stephens next week.

Any advice?

Cheers

Default Antipodean Boats Connection

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post
    Hi Antipodeans. Long time no read or write, just been working hard over here. We're off on Saturday, first leg Botany Bay to America Bay in Broken Bay. Sheltering from Northerlies and keepinf an eye on the wind to reach Port Stephens next week.

Any advice?

Cheers

Hola! Kia Ora!

I haven't been to America Bay but it looks sheltered.

Hopefully Rick will advise about Port Stephens. There are lots of places in that harbour to explore. I've stayed near Nelson Bay on a public mooring, Tanilba Bay on a private mooring after getting permission, and at Lemon Tree Passage marina. All of those places highly recommended.

When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I forgot to take a photo of the installed brackets , which are the better ones but I was able to get a photo of the smaller ones. You get the general idea ...

Rick

Sent from my T85 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeR View Post

Any advice?

Cheers

Hi Jorge
    How long do you intend to stay in Pt Stephens? Is there something in particular you want to see or do here?

Study your chart carefully before approaching Port Stephens. Stay well clear of Stockton Bight and stay well out from the shore until you're able to turn directly into the Port. Once through the heads, stay close to the southern shore and follow the channel markers. There's very shallow water just a few hundred metres inside the Port.

I'll PM my phone number in case you have any questions.

Rick

Also, keep an eye on current http://www.bom.gov.au/oceanography/f...orecast=SSTCur

At this time of year the southerly current can be quite strong 3 - 4 knots and you'll be heading straight into it. Boats tend to stay close to the coast to avoid the stronger flow but don't stay close in Stockton Bight or near the headlands south of Port Stephens. Plan a slow trip because the current will reduce your speed significantly.

Rick

I forgot to take a photo of the installed brackets , which are the better ones but I was able to get a photo of the smaller ones. You get the general idea ...

Rick

Sent from my T85 using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Im thinking you probably finish them up a bit prettier?

Thanks! Great bits of advice, we'll have a good look at those infos. Looks like there will be prenty of wind to try beat the current. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

You can, by just painting with resin but these are just for the bilge pump hose running under the engine so I won't bother. These ones were done without peel ply. The white patches are where I've roughly sanded edges.

Rick

Fair enough. Literally.

They say happiness is a new band saw blade. Well they should. My blunt one broke trying to rub its way through a bit of tuffnol. Yay! New blade was $21 or so and it has all these sharp pointy bits on one edge. Amazing. I'm still not loving the laminate trimmer thing, but I now have a bunch of tuffnol plates to go under the stanchions above deck, and ply with one face glassed and the other surfaces epoxied to go below decks. Almost ready to start drilling holes. Not emotionally ready. Not by a long shot. Lucky it's raining for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Hello Tom,

Here's something a bit sleeker than a Jube, 23ft of shallow water goodness that really shows its Gippsland Lakes heritage. Apparently it's batten seam construction which is pretty rare around here.
    Sadly up for sale because it's now a bit beyond the owners capabilities.

Hans

Attachment 43138

Attachment 43139
    Nice where is she being advertised?

If you do want to fall in love with your trimmer then buy a straight top-bearing bit. Most bearing bits have the bearing on the bottom but the top-bearing bit has it at the top. This allows you to place it on a template for cutting clean holes, shapes etc. I use mine quite a lot.

Rick